Mike Rodak talking Bills on Sirius NFL Radio...

He doesn't sound as douche baggy as his articles usually do... Actually seems to sound like a Bills beat writer... Anything that could be considered negative is just an honest assessment.... QB/O-line

Edited by CountryCletus

I actually think that Rodak takes his job seriously and wants to be a good beat writer. He is a young guy and was assigned a less glamorous team. That is kind of a starting point for him. it is in his best interest to do a good job, generate clicks and to break a few stories. That is how he will move up the food chain. So far he is good at generating clicks but hasn't figured out the rest of them. He needs to generate clicks without alienating the fan base. The best way to do that is to be the 1st to report things like the ownership transfer, the McCoy trade, etc...

He doesn't have to generate clicks on the radio.

Yeah, I think what bothers most people about Rodak is not that he's negative (he is probably overly negative) but that he posts meaningless articles to generate clicks (e.g., "Bills rank 18th in ESPN Power Rankings", "ESPN analysts [who are advocating on behalf of the teams they cover] predict 4 wins for Bills"). Reporting about mock drafts and predictions from your colleagues hardly constitutes journalism.

Also, his articles are often filled with typos, as well as statistical and factual errors which is annoying to see in "The Worldwide Leader's" reporting.

Yeah, I think what bothers most people about Rodak is not that he's negative (he is probably overly negative) but that he posts meaningless articles to generate clicks (e.g., "Bills rank 18th in ESPN Power Rankings", "ESPN analysts [who are advocating on behalf of the teams they cover] predict 4 wins for Bills"). Reporting about mock drafts and predictions from your colleagues hardly constitutes journalism.

Also, his articles are often filled with typos, as well as statistical and factual errors which is annoying to see in "The Worldwide Leader's" reporting.

I agree with this...he tweeted a link to a friggin' pay-to-read ESPN Insider article. That's not going to ingratiate you with the fan base.

I actually think that Rodak takes his job seriously and wants to be a good beat writer. He is a young guy and was assigned a less glamorous team. That is kind of a starting point for him. it is in his best interest to do a good job, generate clicks and to break a few stories. That is how he will move up the food chain. So far he is good at generating clicks but hasn't figured out the rest of them. He needs to generate clicks without alienating the fan base. The best way to do that is to be the 1st to report things like the ownership transfer, the McCoy trade, etc...

Kirby,

I appreciate your glass is half full take on Rodak

I think his articles are douechy and maybe the plan is to do that to generate clicks......looking taking a abrasive side to ever issue.....finding the potential negative out of every positive......that is what I see from this nerd

Kirby,

I think his articles are douechy and maybe the plan is to do that to generate clicks......looking taking a abrasive side to ever issue.....finding the potential negative out of every positive......that is what I see from this nerd

I am in agreement. I am not saying that I like what he does (at all). I am just saying that it is in his best interest to do a good job as the beat reporter. Some people believe that he is just there to trash the Bills. He is there to further his career. In order to do that he needs to gain a track record as an insider (which he doesn't have), generate clicks (which he is good at) and overall be recognizable (that doesn't mean that people like you). Skip Bayless is hated by everyone and ESPN would pay him anything.

That doesn't necessarily work for beat writers. If he loses Bills fans then more than 1/2 of the people that read his articles are gone. That was the point that I was making in that he needs to endear himself to them a little more. At this point he is getting us all riled up with the 5-11 prediction from other beat writers and the drop in the power rankings article. At the moment his antagonistic style is generating clicks. If people get tired of that and he is not a Bills news source, what value does he have? He needs to be a "must read" for Bills fans whether we like what he has to say or not. At the moment his angle is to troll Bills fans. That will not sustain IMO.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think with every Pats* scandal and every step the Bills take to improving he is slowly being converted, but I'm an optimist.

I'm with you. Wouldn't that be something? Come on Mikey, get on the train!

Rodent [edited to avoid warning points]. I would not be surprised if he was related to the Deflator.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

Kirby,

Im fairly convinced it started at least a decade ago with someone like Mort. ESPN (and our own TBN) writers found out how rabid our fan-base is, and realized that all they had to do was put out something a bit derogatory about the Bills and their click-count and inboxes would BLOW UP. Which is exactly what they want, with no consideration to the actual quality of reporting. Easy way to get your numbers up and impress the bosses: rag on the Bills. And the team has given them more than enough ammo over that period too.

Im fairly convinced it started at least a decade ago with someone like Mort. ESPN (and our own TBN) writers found out how rabid our fan-base is, and realized that all they had to do was put out something a bit derogatory about the Bills and their click-count and inboxes would BLOW UP. Which is exactly what they want, with no consideration to the actual quality of reporting. Easy way to get your numbers up and impress the bosses: rag on the Bills. And the team has given them more than enough ammo over that period too.

As a Buckeyes fan & a Bills fan, I frequently feel like ESPN has decided to troll me personally. I absolutely believe they purposely troll the rabid fanbases to drive clicks while blowing smoke up the more casual ones. Trev Alberts played the exact same role Mark May does when it comes to the Buckeyes, he never said one positive thing about the team, then he got himself fired and immediately Mark May filled the role. You know a guy has crossed the trolling line when you've got Zeke Elliot right on top of you daring you to say something negative after winning the national title.

If you care deeply, you are much more likely to tell your friends about an article ripping the team than the alternative. By the inverse, if you don't care all that much, you are much more likely to gravitate towards positive output. They clearly aren't going to rip the Patriots/Seahawks of the world otherwise it looks like they are actively trying to look like idiots. The thing that surprised me about Rodak's latest work with Shady was how Shady shared a car with him and opened up about things that may best left be unsaid. Maybe McCoy put too much trust in him not running everything he said, I don't know that a normal beat reporter is going to run Shady calling Chip Kelly a racist, but it does appear Rodak is edging his way into the team.

I also think the times I've caught Rodak on the radio he's much more positive about the team than the standard vibe he takes with written work. I don't know if it would come off as awkward to air a "Bills beat reporter" ripping on the team or if he's gotten the command to generate negative clickbait.

• 4 weeks later...

The thing we forget is that it is still EsPN when other teams want news about our team they go there. No more did this make me laugh was a few years ago with TJ Graham. I was on the Panthers site and they were going over possible camp cuts for WR. They were hoping some of our guys were cut and quoting Rodak about GRAham. And Hogan. And others. It was hilarious how optimistic they were to get someone like Rodgers or Hogan or Graham by what Rodak said. Or how they did not like other WRs or Chandler because of Rodak.