Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

Really? I think he's looked really good so far this year -- though against sub par competition (barring Stanford) so far.

Maybe I am having a hard time shaking the Barkley thoughts? I don't know and maybe it isn't fair. I think that Kessler is a 3rd round type of guy that will be a backup. That's JMO and may be way off.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree, Hackenberg is extremely overrated in my opinion. Unfortunately for Cardale, I still got JT winning the job. Cardale really didn't do that much to win those games in the playoffs, that was the Ezekiel Elliot show. He really only dominated the Wisconsin game.

Me, I'm have been and still am on the Cody Kessler train. Reminds me of Brees. A bit smaller, with a bit less of an "rocket" arm, but accurate as anyone and makes very few mistakes (and plays against very fast tough D in the Pac10). He didn't have a single bad game all last season and PROGRESSED instead of regressed from the previous year. And, to top it all off, he will most likely be around it the 2nd round.

Don't be surprised though, if when all is said an done Jared Goff is the fist QB taken.

Not to toot my own horn, but a lot of you seem to be saying the same things I was saying back in July in this thread. Cardale and Hack overrated. Kessler an accuracy machine who is underrated, and Goff perhaps the best of the bunch. Oh OK...toot! toot!

Edited by Mark80

Not to toot my own horn, but a lot of you seem to be saying the same things I was saying back in July in this thread. Cardale and Hack overrated. Kessler and accuracy machine who is underrated, and Goff perhaps the best of the bunch.

i think it's early... But it could certainly play out that way. Need to see more of all of them and also against escalated competition. That's just IMO.

Maybe I am having a hard time shaking the Barkley thoughts? I don't know and maybe it isn't fair. I think that Kessler is a 3rd round type of guy that will be a backup. That's JMO and may be way off.

I'm not a QB expert so I'm not arguing just was surprised based on what I've seen so far this year. I have no idea how his game is going to translate to the pros, but because USC is on TV a lot here in LA I've gotten to see him play more than the other QBs being talked about. I hear you with Barkley though, I'm a bit gunshy on USC QBs myself. Kessler might very well be another SoCal flame out.

@nfldraftscout: Myles Jack has a $5MM insurance policy. I'm told the policy pays out if he's not a 1st round pick. Would make declaring for 2016 easier.

Wtf? Pays out if he's not a 1st round pick? That sounds crazy.

Gotta feel sorry for the kid. If he hadn't been thrust into the starter position last year, he wouldn't be disappointing so many people.

But, he won the Championship, so he at least has that great legacy.

Wtf? Pays out if he's not a 1st round pick? That sounds crazy.

Gotta feel sorry for the kid. If he hadn't been thrust into the starter position last year, he wouldn't be disappointing so many people.

But, he won the Championship, so he at least has that great legacy.

he lost a brilliant OC/QB coach and his deep threat WR, and it shows :( hope things come together soon. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't know anything about Ohio State's coordinators, but isn't Urban the mastermind behind all that?

sort of - it's his system and game plan but he doesn't call the plays in-game or really work with the players. He approves the play when it comes in from the OC. The new OC is last year's OL coach who was a tremendous OL coach, but his move to OC has negatively affected the OL and his play calling has not been up to par with Tom Herman. The new QB coach seems fine but Herman just had "it" when it came to QBs. Edited by YoloinOhio

Cardale announced starter. Again. For now.

Gonna regret that decision. Barrett seemed to run a more consistent/smoother offense last year, with Jones I don't see them winning the big 10.

Wonder how scouts will view J.T Barrett, not too sure what he will add up to be.

About this next draft not being a QB draft, this one might be the heaviest we'll see in a few years. This is how QB prospects are now guys, more athletes playing QB then football players who have some athletic traits. Connor Cook and Goff are sure-fire 1st round picks, and while they don't have great physical traits they have run pro style systems, have above average accuracy and clearly progress through their reads.

Cook has had criticism regarding his arm strength, but I think it's not a concern. Dude plays outside in East Lansing and hasn't had problems throwing deep. Good enough.

Not sure about Kessler. Think he is 2nd-3rd unless he production gets unreal.

How any team can risk taking Hack in rd1 is beyond me. Regression in college is a very bad sign, regardless of that abomination "protecting" him. Even if he returned to a pro offense, think he has fallen into too many bad habits to be turned around.

Notre Dame Thoughts

Malik Zaire (Notre QB) was showing some good signs until he was injured, Jaylon Smith will be one hell of a linebacker in this league. I call bust on Sheldon Day though, too small and not fast enough for DT/DE.

Last night I sat down, pulled up draftbreakdown.com, and watched every throw from Kessler in 2014 and the lone 2015 game they had on there.

My opinion has not changed at all: he's very accurate, gets the ball out quickly, and shows good footwork and pocket presence. His lack of arm strength really shows itself on the boundary patterns, and his deep ball accuracy and touch is not great.

I do think he'll be drafted in the 2nd/3rd round, and that he can function in a timing-based offense a la Mark Sanchez.

Last night I sat down, pulled up draftbreakdown.com, and watched every throw from Kessler in 2014 and the lone 2015 game they had on there.

My opinion has not changed at all: he's very accurate, gets the ball out quickly, and shows good footwork and pocket presence. His lack of arm strength really shows itself on the boundary patterns, and his deep ball accuracy and touch is not great.

I do think he'll be drafted in the 2nd/3rd round, and that he can function in a timing-based offense a la Mark Sanchez.

Just wondering if you would have said the same thing about Brees coming out of Purdue? That's who I see him as akin to. I agree that he's most likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder because arm strength will make him fall a bit. I think he is very good though and will be a quality starter in the NFL.

Edited by Mark80

Just wondering if you would have said the same thing about Brees coming out of Purdue. That's who I see him as akin to. I agree that he's most likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder because arm strength will make him fall a bit. I think he is very good though and will be a quality starter in the NFL.

Admittedly I didn't study these guys as much back then, but I remember being surprised that Brees was such a small guy, because his arm always looked strong to me. What's more, however, was that his deep ball accuracy was solid (though Purdue didn't really throw deep all that much from what my 20-year-old, usually-drunken self remembers).

I think if he's placed into a timing offense that he's got a real chance to be effective in the NFL. I just wouldn't spend my 1st round pick on the guy is all.

Admittedly I didn't study these guys as much back then, but I remember being surprised that Brees was such a small guy, because his arm always looked strong to me. What's more, however, was that his deep ball accuracy was solid (though Purdue didn't really throw deep all that much from what my 20-year-old, usually-drunken self remembers).

I think if he's placed into a timing offense that he's got a real chance to be effective in the NFL. I just wouldn't spend my 1st round pick on the guy is all.

I know you were, perhaps you forgot we were HS classmates!

You mean like the one that destroyed us last week? All those routes are reading defenses and timing and precise accuracy is the thing that makes them go, that's his strong point for sure.

Edited by Mark80

I know you were, perhaps you forgot we were HS classmates!

You mean like the one that destroyed us last week? All those routes are reading defenses and timing and precise accuracy is the thing that makes them go, that's his strong point for sure.

I forget nothing...except some of those Wednesday-Sunday nights from about Fall of 1999 through Summer of 2003...