Alex Carrington in Buffalo for FA visit // Update: signed

Harvin wasn't a FA. He was cut.

Spiller was also a UFA who was signed by another team.

That's right, edited my post above to include Taylor and take off Harvin.

I don't either...but you know damned well that if we were the Patriots, we would be.

Too true!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills are still due a comp pick...

Lost

Dean, Spiller, Searcy, Smith, Pears (Hairston was a non-tendered RFA I believe)

Signed

Clay, Felton, Carrington, Taylor (Harvin was cut, Cassell and Shady via trade)

There was probably competing interest in Carrington -- likely from Pettine. That's the reason for signing him now.

Edited by Formerly Joe F

So free agent signings by The Bills if I recall correctly

Clay

Felton

Carington

Taylor

UFA signed by other teams

Spiller

Searcy

Am I missing anybody else? I ask as I just can not see any scenario where we are eligible for a comp pick.

As clay was restricted (transition tag), does he count?

Good question - I know the Fish do not receive a comp pick for losing him as part of the transition tag

But they had the option to keep him.... Untendered rfas don't count as a loss, for instance, if I'm recalling correct.

I believe the philosophy at the core isn't compensation but uncontrolled loss? And any restriction on a guy mitigates that - if that makes sense. Same concept that a cut doesn't count because the team opted not to keep him despite having rights to do so, comp picks instead comes from the player opting to leave and the team having no recourse (ie UFAs)

Edited by NoSaint

Clay was not restricted he was transition tagged...he was an UFA with a tag.

He counts in the Comp Pick calculation..

By the way love having the MEGAHAND back...a healthy Carrington is an upgrade in the Bills depth which was already pretty damn good.

Now get Spikes back please.....

Edited by Formerly Joe F

Clay was not restricted he was transition tagged...he was an UFA with a tag.

He counts in the Comp Pick calculation..

By the way love having the MEGAHAND back...a healthy Carrington is an upgrade in the Bills depth which was already pretty damn good.

Now get Spikes back please.....

He clearly wasn't a pure UFA as he was not totally unrestricted. His previous team could restrict his free agency options. Clearly you saw clay wasn't in the unrestricted feeding frenzy he might've been without the tag, and even so the Dolphins could hold his rights if they chose.

Yes because every player regardless of where they are picked should be a all pro player.....or DOOMED

Sometimes you just need players to do their jobs

True. Maybe if he was here last year when Marcel got hurt in the Raider game he could have helped to stop the run. Role players are important.

On cue...

Mike Rodak @mikerodak 5m5 minutes ago

http://OverTheCap.com now projects the Bills to receive just one compensatory draft pick in 2016: http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Buffalo Bills @buffalobills 6m6 minutes ago

CEL1qviUMAENx65.jpg
CEL1qenVIAAb6wF.jpg

Welcome back to the Bills, Alex Carrington! The Bills have signed the DL: http://bufbills.co/1REOO1

Carrington was a pretty bad 3rd round pick. He and Sheppard just never blossomed the way a lot of folks hoped.

Actually, he was improving every year, and it seemed like he was going to have a breakout year (at least for him) when he got injured in 2013.

and that settles that transition tags seem to be unique -- in that they use hutchinson and the poison pill example. im pretty surprised, but they had a few nice examples of actual players to work through some of the quirks.

welcome back megahand! Great signing who will be very valuable. He will play a lot of snaps

On a sidenote- we had stellar special teams last year with Easley. Boobie, Corey. We lost Larry Dean, but added megahand, Darby, Steward, Karlos....Our special teams will rock next year!

Carrington was a pretty bad 3rd round pick. He and Sheppard just never blossomed the way a lot of folks hoped.

You have awfully high standards for a 3rd round pick.

Sheppard looks pretty good since he changed his jersey name to Hughes and started playing DE.