Jerry S on football

I don't read Jerry because - even on the sunniest day - he'll always find some dark cloud to talk about.

He doesn't have inside information. He doesn't know more than the average fan on this board. He's not especially eloquent. What does he have to offer?

I'm not entirely sure if his negativity is a journalistic shtick or if he is a Debbie Downer in real life. But I wouldn't want him for a neighbor.

You know, beyond the overbearing pessimism, the self-righteousness, and just the general "I think I'm smarter than everybody" vibe he always gave across, I still felt like he was knowledgeable and had the integrity to do some TBN level research before he opened his mouth.

When he wrote that tweet about John Miller yesterday, I went and watched whatever videos were available of him. I admit I don't follow the draft much but even when I did there were hundreds of players I never heard of. So it's OK not to know about some of these guys. But I watched the tape and came away with the general impression of "this guy is pretty good".

Then I thought about what Jerry Sullivan said when he clearly never watched a second of game film on the guy. Look, I get that TBN pressures him to tweet. I get that people want real-time reporting with world class research and knowledge, and that's just not possible, so there's going to be a trade-off. But at what point in his career did Sullivan get so "lost" as to just create pessimism out of nearly thin air without doing even a second of research. I get the pressures, but when did he decide that was OK to do? He reminds me of Paul Newman as a lawyer in The Verdict giving business cards out at funerals of people he doesn't know. Integrity long gone. All it shows is his instant eye for finding that dark cloud, as you said.

Now that I know he no longer bothers to do any research, it's tough for me to have any more respect for his journalism. At least whatever was left. If the journalists are no longer doing the research, who's left to do it?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He called the Bills front office once "A third rate management in a fourth rate organization".

It appears to apply to Buffalo News more"

"A third rate writer in a fourth rate organization".

And no no matter how many ways to get me to pay for articles, I am not.

It is so easy to get around their pay gate.

Guys, give Jerry a break. Somebody needs to be the voice of knee-jerk stupidity, and it can't all just happen on message boards like ours. There needs to be a professional providing that voice, too.

I don't see anyone else rushing up to the plate to offer professional Buffalo sports stupidity on a regular basis, so until then, give Jerry his due.

Threads like this one continue to prove that Jerry Sullivan is one of the best sports editorial columnists in Buffalo. He writes an article and everyone talks about it and/or the issue he brings up. That's exactly his job. Tough to make a case for firing someone like that.

Threads like this one continue to prove that Jerry Sullivan is one of the best sports editorial columnists in Buffalo. He writes an article and everyone talks about it and/or the issue he brings up. That's exactly his job. Tough to make a case for firing someone like that.

this . . .

Just like the people who hate Howard Stern but still listen. "I want to hear what he says next".

I know the quote comes from the movie but please do not in any way equate Howard Stern with that hack.

Yes and Broadway Joe is Head Coach Expert because he makes crazy statements about Rex Ryan and get lots of attention.

All this proves he is a public buffoon.

Well Jerry isn't getting fired and nobody really called for that. But if tomorrow he was to write that the sun is going to rise in the west, people would talk/criticize that extensively, so by your definition, "that's exactly his job". I would suggest his job should include developing sources within the NFL, guys with NFL experience who watch tape etc so that at least his criticism and takes have some substance. Instead we get basically a whiny fan type with no experience or insight, who just second guesses AFTER the fact (should have taken Becham). We get ridiculous nonsense from him such as Thurman Thomas was a better player than Bruce Smith. Now you know he could not have consulted anybody with NFL knowledge on that one - they would have laughed too hard to even respond. Gee Jerry, maybe the sun will rise in the west.

Just because he gets talked about doesn't make him the best. Phil Ranallo, Larry Felser and Jim Kelley were the best editorial sports columnists in Buffalo

You know, beyond the overbearing pessimism, the self-righteousness, and just the general "I think I'm smarter than everybody" vibe he always gave across, I still felt like he was knowledgeable and had the integrity to do some TBN level research before he opened his mouth.

When he wrote that tweet about John Miller yesterday, I went and watched whatever videos were available of him. I admit I don't follow the draft much but even when I did there were hundreds of players I never heard of. So it's OK not to know about some of these guys. But I watched the tape and came away with the general impression of "this guy is pretty good".

Then I thought about what Jerry Sullivan said when he clearly never watched a second of game film on the guy. Look, I get that TBN pressures him to tweet. I get that people want real-time reporting with world class research and knowledge, and that's just not possible, so there's going to be a trade-off. But at what point in his career did Sullivan get so "lost" as to just create pessimism out of nearly thin air without doing even a second of research. I get the pressures, but when did he decide that was OK to do? He reminds me of Paul Newman as a lawyer in The Verdict giving business cards out at funerals of people he doesn't know. Integrity long gone. All it shows is his instant eye for finding that dark cloud, as you said.

Now that I know he no longer bothers to do any research, it's tough for me to have any more respect for his journalism. At least whatever was left. If the journalists are no longer doing the research, who's left to do it?

Great use of the Paul Newman reference!!!

That said everyone that dislikes Sully's opinions. And that is what they are. Should pat themselves on the back for giving him the continuing almost weekly added exposure ( and hits)'right here on TBD. He Loves it.

To be fair, a good number of posters here said the same thing. And thought he'd get tagged with serious charges because the DA had an open and shut case. He's just being their mouthpiece.

Uh, no. A good number of posters did not say to cut Dareus. Sully did. Some were talking about a possible trade etc, but just releasing a 3rd overall pick who is a minor cap hit in his 3rd year is ridiculous given his flashes of dominance.

Is this you Sully's mom?

Jerrys next job interview...

VP of ACME: So, Mr Sullivan, can you tell me one positive and one negative thing about yourself?

JS: Sure, I say stupid sh!t

Well Jerry isn't getting fired and nobody really called for that. But if tomorrow he was to write that the sun is going to rise in the west, people would talk/criticize that extensively, so by your definition, "that's exactly his job". I would suggest his job should include developing sources within the NFL, guys with NFL experience who watch tape etc so that at least his criticism and takes have some substance. Instead we get basically a whiny fan type with no experience or insight, who just second guesses AFTER the fact (should have taken Becham). We get ridiculous nonsense from him such as Thurman Thomas was a better player than Bruce Smith. Now you know he could not have consulted anybody with NFL knowledge on that one - they would have laughed too hard to even respond. Gee Jerry, maybe the sun will rise in the west.

He is not a reporter, he is an editorialist. His job is to draw readers by writing opinionated and controversial sports centric articles. It's entertainment as is football. I wonder what percentage of his opinions he agrees with himself....

Hate 'em clicks pay just as well as like 'em clicks.

Hacks like Jerry Sullivan, Bucky Gleason and Mike Schopp all need to be fired.

Great use of the Paul Newman reference!!!

That said everyone that dislikes Sully's opinions. And that is what they are. Should pat themselves on the back for giving him the continuing almost weekly added exposure ( and hits)'right here on TBD. He Loves it.

Thanks, glad you got it.

On your 2nd point, I've thought about that before. The way I see it is yes, he's getting clicks and he's the toast of TBD for it. But at what cost? His reputation and integrity is going down the drain. Short term, he's winning. But what about long term when the "get clicks by getting emotional reactions" fad in journalism passes? What about when journalistic quality and integrity is back in vogue? He's toast. He'll need to be a politician to turn that around.