Requisite Derby photo of Brady & Pats* w/special guest

All your examples are items that could lead to a suspension by the league - they do not equate to cassel wearing a very innocent jersey that said New England superbowl champs - afterall he is just funning around with his former teammates.

The point is there does come a point where some things can cross a line - you think taking a trip with all patriots does not.... but somehow wearing a Patriots jersey does.? why? does it affect cassel's game preparation? he wont try just as hard etccc?

Why would you be upset if Cassel wore a Patriots jersey in offseason with fellow Patriots?

Id be upset if Mario Williams wore a Pats jersey too and he's my favorite player. Im not seeing how your point is any different than mine? If he did any of those things it would be bad. He has not done any of those things (to my knowledge). This is probably the worst argument that has ever been made on this board and someone once suggested trading Mario for Skelton.

To answer you question Cassel could do a lot of things that would make me upset. He could punch my dog. He could push my mom out of her wheelchair. He could sleep with my fiancé. He could wear a Patriots Championship shirt. I'm not going to get mad about any of these things unless they happen.

P.s You think that these guys walk around in football jerseys in the offseason??

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you were to young to remember the decade long 0-20 Bills record vs the Dolphins, but I know I didn't feel all warm and fuzzy towards the man.

Man, that makes this whole back-and-forth even more cringeworthy. I might expect this kind of thinking from a kid, but from someone old enough (and presumably mature enough) to reference Shula is mindblowing.

We're talking about people who have a job (NFL player), not a vocation. What they do on their own time, when not at work and who they call friends has no impact on Sundays. Players change teams all the time. Does that mean they can no longer have friendships with guys they used to play with?

This line of thinking is just bizarre...

Id be upset if Mario Williams wore a Pats jersey too and he's my favorite player. Im not seeing how your point is any different than mine? If he did any of those things it would be bad. He has not done any of those things (to my knowledge). This is probably the worst argument that has ever been made on this board and someone once suggested trading Mario for Skelton.

To answer you question Cassel could do a lot of things that would make me upset. He could punch my dog. He could push my mom out of her wheelchair. He could sleep with my fiancé. He could wear a Patriots Championship shirt. I'm not going to get mad about any of these things unless they happen.

P.s You think that these guys walk around in football jerseys in the offseason??

Why would you be upset if Mario Williams or Matt casell wore a Patriots superbowl shirt in the offseason?

There is no correlation between them wearing a shirt and them trying hard or wanting to win.

Building a bully means to be physical on the field. They want to win at the LOS. It has ZERO to do with who your friends are off the field.

It is mind blowing to me that people are worked up about this. Since he is friends with Brady he now wants to lose? He wants to play his way out of a contract that pays him $5m a year (or whatever)? "If I play poorly enough against the Patriots maybe next year I can not get a big FA contract."

I'm not picking on you specifically but this picture could not mean less. Guys hang out with college teammates, high school teammates and former pro teammates all of the time. We all hang out with people that we went to school with, played sports with or worked with. As I said, their kids probably play together.

It's a different time period, Kirby Jackson, but I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Bob Gibson hated all-star games because he didn't want to make buddy-buddy with his opponents. He was the ultimate bully in baseball. And he knew how to do, on and off the diamond, and it worked.

Why would you be upset if Mario Williams or Matt casell wore a Patriots superbowl shirt in the offseason?

There is no correlation between them wearing a shirt and them trying hard or wanting to win.

It's the same reason that 49ers fans were upset when Kaepernick wore a Dolphins hat. It isn't that big of a deal but you shouldn't openly support another team in your league. He isn't supporting anyone. He is going to the Derby with his former coworkers. I do stuff with my former coworkers all of the time. In fact, I watched the draft at my house with one on Thursday.

It's a different time period, Kirby Jackson, but I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Bob Gibson hated all-star games because he didn't want to make buddy-buddy with his opponents. He was the ultimate bully in baseball. And he knew how to do, on and off the diamond, and it worked.

He also didn't grow up with those guys, play AAU with them, college, the draft process and then in the NFL!! Guys change teams all of the time now. They are funneled through the same camps in high school, the same all-star games, recruited by the sane schools, play in the same conferences, attend the same award shows, train for the draft with the same people, visit the same teams and then enter the league and are often teammates.

This is total commonplace. This happens with all players in all sports. It doesn't mean that they compete any less!!

I'm so fascinated by this line of thinking and interested. I feel like this kind of:

Kirby Jackson, on 01 May 2015 - 5:26 PM, said:snapback.png

That's kind of the point. There is no correlation between his trip to the Derby and his play. If he's the best guy fine, if he's not fine. The trip to the Derby doesn't factor into the equation.

Replace "TRIP TO DERBY" with "WEARING A PATRIOTS SHIRT"........

Because punching my dog could be an illegal or immoral act.....wearing a shirt with an NFL team logo is not

Uncle - i'm done

And neither happened so why are we replacing what did happen with something that would be bad if it did? The only thing that happened was he attended the derby with his buddies.

We can make up any what if sitiation we want. What if he held Brady down and put a Bills shirt on him? Would we love him then? The only thing that matters is what did happen.

Man, that makes this whole back-and-forth even more cringeworthy. I might expect this kind of thinking from a kid, but from someone old enough (and presumably mature enough) to reference Shula is mindblowing.

We're talking about people who have a job (NFL player), not a vocation. What they do on their own time, when not at work and who they call friends has no impact on Sundays. Players change teams all the time. Does that mean they can no longer have friendships with guys they used to play with?

This line of thinking is just bizarre...

That's the prefect description of what this photo is!...LOL Cassel looks like he's Tommy's shoeshine boy.

Look, I don't care if their friends. What I ultimately care about is Cassel being a Patriot more than a Bill like Bledsoe was. Unfortunately, this photo is a great representation of that perception. He's a hired hand that will be a regular guest on Pats radio after his career is done.

That's the prefect description of what this photo is!...LOL Cassel looks like he's Tommy's shoeshine boy.

Look, I don't care if their friends. What I ultimately care about is Cassel being a Patriot more than a Bill like Bledsoe was. Unfortunately, this photo is a great representation of that perception. He's a hired hand that will be a regular guest on Pats radio after his career is done.

i don't know. I knew they were friends because in one of his radio interviews he said he and Brady's families go on vacation together. I'm sure he will want to beat the Pats* anyway.

I actually don't hate this logic. But you have to view this from Cassel's standpoint. He is in the last year of his contract and it is paying him almost $5m. If he plays well this year it isn't unthinkable at all that he could land a 3 year $20m deal (or something like that). That is where his focus is not on talk show appearances.

tin_foil_hat.gif

And neither happened so why are we replacing what did happen with something that would be bad if it did? The only thing that happened was he attended the derby with his buddies.

You are dead to me too.

All your examples are items that could lead to a suspension by the league - they do not equate to cassel wearing a very innocent jersey that said New England superbowl champs - afterall he is just funning around with his former teammates.

The point is there does come a point where some things can cross a line - you think taking a trip with all patriots does not.... but somehow wearing a Patriots jersey does.? why? does it affect cassel's game preparation? he wont try just as hard etccc?

Why would you be upset if Cassel wore a Patriots jersey in offseason with fellow Patriots?

That would be an issue due to branding issues and self awareness questions. But not epic by itself. See Colin kaepernick in the Dolphins hat (or pounceys free Hernandez hat).... Notice no one questioned pouncey and Hernandez as friends, and many here stick up for spikes-Hernandez (not unreasonable) but if not for the murder charge - if spikes, Hernandez, and pouncey went on vacation, no one would have cared.

Context changes a lot and unfortunately Brady bring good isn't enough to cross the line for most of us with regards to which former teammates cassel is allowed to be seen in public with.

That would be an issue due to branding issues and self awareness questions. But not epic by itself. See Colin kaepernick in the Dolphins hat (or pounceys free Hernandez hat).... Notice no one questioned pouncey and Hernandez as friends, and many here stick up for spikes-Hernandez (not unreasonable) but if not for the murder charge - if spikes, Hernandez, and pouncey went on vacation, no one would have cared.

Context changes a lot and unfortunately Brady bring good isn't enough to cross the line for most of us with regards to which former teammates cassel is allowed to be seen in public with.

You used too many words so I'm not sure whether you're dead to me or not.

Are you?

No big deal. They were teammates for crying out loud.

Ever hear Jim Kelly talk about having dinner with Boomer Eliasson at Boomer's house on nights before Bills-Bengals games? I have.

Move on.

Boomer Eliasson?