Requisite Derby photo of Brady & Pats* w/special guest

Humans dont work that way. Every member of the Bills team now has the image of Cassel arm in arm with their enemies (I use the term enemies in the sports sense, not literally). If nothing else, Cassel has given himself a shorter leash with the Bills players and fans. In a perfect world Cassel should be able to go on a trip with friends with no repercussions, but having the visual of a photo of Cassel arm in arm with the world champ Patriots with Tommy boy in the middle looking like hes the king of the world hurts him at the very least, a little bit.

You and Bills officials like Doug Whaley can downplay it all you want, but IMO Cassel screwed up going on that trip. Im almost 100% positive hes lost some respect among the players on the Bills team. Im sure that Rex wasnt too happy about it either. Yes, they will laugh it off when asked about it but thats because they want the public to think they dont care.

I worked in sports for 8 years. When we'd go out after games it was players on both teams that were there together. They hang out in the offseason and during the year. It is the fans that care not other players. I've been around lots and lots and lots of pro athletes and do not know one that would have an issue with this. I cannot stress how common this is. I mean, it was literally every single time that both teams spent the night in town they were out together. They'd have dinner the night before with the opponents (even before playoff games). They all just catch up. You need to understand that in sports today these guys have basically grown up together and they can relate best to one another. This is a total non story in the locker room. If he plays poorly it is because he isn't a very good QB.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in sports for 8 years. When we'd go out after games it was players on both teams that were there together. They hang out in the offseason and during the year. It is the fans that care not other players. I've been around lots and lots and lots of pro athletes and do not know one that would have an issue with this. I cannot stress how common this is. I mean, it was literally every single time that both teams spent the night in town they were out together. They'd have dinner the night before with the opponents (even before playoff games). They all just catch up. You need to understand that in sports today these guys have basically grown up together and they can relate best to one another. This is a total non story in the locker room. If he plays poorly it is because he isn't a very good QB.

right - they are all members of the sports fraternity. i think its common sense.

Even if everything you say is true, but you can't escape that he optics are horrible. Matt Cassel looks like a follower and Tom looks like the leader in that picture.

I'm telling you that I think Cassel has used up some cache with the fans and team mates. The NFL and MLB are two pro sports that I think there's a line you don't cross when you're considered the leader of a team. These aren't just a bunch of "no name" pro guys. I wouldn't expect to have ever seen a picture of Jeter arm in arm with a bunch of Red Sox champion friends. I think that you have to have a sense of what's expected of you when you either are or want to be the leader of a major league sports team.

Even if everything you say is true, but you can't escape that he optics are horrible. Matt Cassel looks like a follower and Tom looks like the leader in that picture.

I'm telling you that I think Cassel has used up some cache with the fans and team mates. The NFL and MLB are two pro sports that I think there's a line you don't cross when you're considered the leader of a team. These aren't just a bunch of "no name" pro guys. I wouldn't expect to have ever seen a picture of Jeter arm in arm with a bunch of Red Sox champion friends. I think that you have to have a sense of what's expected of you when you either are or want to be the leader of a major league sports team.

You're very naive.

Please find enclosed A-Rod and Papi at dinner. He says that they are very good friends. This is from the height of the rivalry (2008) http://nypost.com/2008/07/28/dinner-date-for-a-rod-papi/

Again, you are grasping at straws if you think that this is an issue in the locker room. If fans have an issue it is because we want our guys to hate their opponents. We also have naïve people like Schopp throwing gasoline on the fire.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Please find enclosed A-Rod and Papi at dinner. He says that they are very good friends. This is from the height of the rivalry (2008) http://nypost.com/2008/07/28/dinner-date-for-a-rod-papi/

Again, you are grasping at straws if you think that this is an issue in the locker room. If fans have an issue it is because we want our guys to hate their opponents. We also have naïve people like Schopp throwing gasoline on the fire.

First of all there is no photo to go along with this story. Secondly, I wouldn't even have any problem with a picture of a one on one dinner situation with Brady and Cassel. Because they would look like equals. The problem with the derby picture is that it's that Cassel looks like a "hanger-on" and follower of the Tom Brady/Patriots Superbowl party fest.

I honestly think that Cassel's seen by the organization as the emergency QB should EJ Manuel fail (they drafted 3 of Manuel's college team mates). If Manuel fails I think the Bills will be seriously going after a big fish next year like Eli Manning or Drew Brees. To me, Cassel is a one year only hired gun like Orton was.

First of all there is no photo to go along with this story. Secondly, I wouldn't even have any problem with a picture of a one on one dinner situation with Brady and Cassel. Because they would look like equals. The problem with the derby picture is that it's that Cassel looks like a "hanger-on" and follower of the Tom Brady/Patriots Superbowl party fest.

I honestly think that Cassel's seen by the organization as the emergency QB should EJ Manuel fail (they drafted 3 of Manuel's college team mates). If Manuel fails I think the Bills will be seriously going after a big fish next year like Eli Manning or Drew Brees. To me, Cassel is a one year only hired gun like Orton was.

You were the one that said you wouldn't see Yankees and Red Sox hanging out. Yet here they are at dinner in the middle of a series. Your dislike of Cassel is the reason that you have such an issue with the photo. You are digging deeper and deeper by trying to dig in on this. If you think that he is a bad QB that's fine. Many on here share that sentiment. If you think that a photo is going to hurt him in the locker room that's just flat wrong.

You were the one that said you wouldn't see Yankees and Red Sox hanging out. Yet here they are at dinner in the middle of a series. Your dislike of Cassel is the reason that you have such an issue with the photo. You are digging deeper and deeper by trying to dig in on this. If you think that he is a bad QB that's fine. Many on here share that sentiment. If you think that a photo is going to hurt him in the locker room that's just flat wrong.

I don't see how you could misconstrue what I said. Read it again because I was very specific in describing what's cool and not cool.

BTW, it seems like there's been a whole lot of Tyrod Taylor chatter coming from OBD insiders since the Kentucky Derby...LOL

I don't see how you could misconstrue what I said. Read it again because I was very specific in describing what's cool and not cool.

BTW, it seems like there's been a whole lot of Tyrod Taylor chatter coming from OBD insiders since the Kentucky Derby...LOL

So your issue is a photo not hanging out with TB?

It's been that way since they got him. This Taylor stuff isn't new. The guy that offered him the largest FA contract this offseason was his OC from last year. The Bills people have always been high on him. I personally think that's the guy that they want to win the job.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

So your issue is a photo not hanging out with TB?

It's been that way since they got him. This Taylor stuff isn't new. The guy that offered him the largest FA contract this offseason was his OC from last year. The Bills people have always been high on him. I personally think that's the guy that they want to win the job.

What????? You've lost me with that reply.

I'll agree to disagree on this topic and leave it at that. Let the best QB win and here's hoping that's either EJ or Tyrod because I want the problem solved for a few years and Cassel isn't a "long haul" QB.

What????? You've lost me with that reply.

I'll agree to disagree on this topic and leave it at that. Let the best QB win and here's hoping that's either EJ or Tyrod because I want the problem solved for a few years and Cassel isn't a "long haul" QB.

I'm not sure what we are agreeing to disagree on? There are countless examples of the picture not being a big deal. It's the way that sports are in 2015.

We do agree that may the best QB win. I could care less which guy that is as long as they get it right. My emotional investment is in the Bills not any of those guys personally. I also agree that Cassel isn't a long-term answer. I don't really care about much beyond this year. The window is open now to win.

Edited by Kirby Jackson