Shane Ray has foot issue; update- cited for marijuana

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pot is not addicting and if alcohol and tobacco are legal marijuana should be also... I wouldn't not draft a player because he tested positive for pot.

While marijuana is not considered to be physically addicting by most, it is considered mentally addicting by a significant number of studies.

While marijuana is not considered to be physically addicting by most, it is considered mentally addicting by a significant number of studies.

From my personal experience, I strongly disagree. I think it's a joke it's illegal, especially for football players. Much better than painkillers.

That said, it is illegal and his decision making is now a major question mark. But this could be a Warren Sapp situation where someone gets a steal if he falls in the draft. I won't hestiate to take this kid at all. He made a stupid mistake.

without knowing the full story, ill say its dumb to get popped this week -- but if it was as simple as getting pulled over for not being in the furthest right lane, and the cop found a little something in an aggressive search.... its probably not terribly out of line with a large number of nfl players. IF that is the story, it wouldnt worry me as much as a failure at the combine, for instance.

Marijuana dependence occurs in about 9-10% of people who use it. What age that it is tried seems to have a lot to do with this i.e. the younger you are the better chance of becoming dependent. Compared to alcohol, cocaine, heroin, morphine, and tobacco it's less than half as likely to become dependent on marijuana. I linked a very well written article by Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN on why he changed his stance against it.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-marijuana/

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Is this really going to turn into a thread about the dangers of marijuana? Marijuana is in the same league as alcohol and tobacco IMO. It actually is probably less dangerous. I am not bothered by a player smoking weed (it happens all of the time and is even legal in some places).

With that being said you have to be an idiot to get popped the week of the draft (Ray) and a special kind of idiot to get popped at the combine (Gregory). I mean you really couldn't put the weed down until this process was over? It is like drinking and driving while on probation for a DUI. It is the next level of stupidity. It raises red flags about intelligence and commitment to me. It isn't so much about the weed as it is the decision making.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Is this really going to turn into a thread about the dangers of marijuana? Marijuana is in the same league as alcohol and tobacco IMO. It actually is probably less dangerous. I am not bothered by a player smoking weed (it happens all of the time and is even legal in some places).

With that being said you have to be an idiot to get popped the week of the draft (Ray) and a special kind of idiot to get popped at the combine (Gregory). I mean you really couldn't put the weed down until this process was over? It is like drinking and driving while on probation for a DUI. It is the next level of stupidity. It raises red flags about intelligence and commitment to me. It isn't so much about the weed as it is the decision making.

Kirby, no offense, but it's not nearly as dangerous a cigarette smoking or dipping, and not as dangerous or disruptive to oneself and people around them as alcohol. Believe me, both my parents were raging alcoholics to the point that I pretty much raised myself from the time I was 7-8 years old. Just the embarrassment alone when I was young was unfathomable. I've never seen the marijuana effecting peoples lives like what I saw as a kid with alcohol, not even remotely close.

EDIT: This does not mean if you drink alcohol even some what reasonably your effecting those around like this. What I'm talking about is a whole nother level of consumption. Think falling down drunk almost every night.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Kirby, no offense, but it's not nearly as dangerous a cigarette smoking or dipping, and not as dangerous or disruptive to oneself and people around them as alcohol. Believe me, both my parents were raging alcoholics to the point that I pretty much raised myself from the time I was 7-8 years old. Just the embarrassment alone when I was young was unfathomable. I've never seen the marijuana effecting peoples lives like what I saw as a kid with alcohol, not even remotely close.

I don't disagre at all. I was just trying to steer this back away from "the dangers of weed."

I feel like Ray's draft stock has fallen anyway since the combine. I know some teams had 2nd rd grade to begin with. I think he goes top of the 2nd.

if he goes in the second, id venture that they had a second round grade on his film to begin with will be the biggest reason. if he was ever a top 10 talent in a talent starved first round, he just wouldnt slide that far unless he was completely crazy or injured MUCH worse than we know. if hes actually in that second tier of guys from the get go, then seeing him go a little late in that second tier would make sense. we have seen a handful of posters speculate that he went from top 10 to us or further into the 3rd even.... i dont buy that.

Edited by NoSaint

With that being said you have to be an idiot to get popped the week of the draft (Ray) and a special kind of idiot to get popped at the combine (Gregory). I mean you really couldn't put the weed down until this process was over? It raises red flags about intelligence and commitment to me. It isn't so much about the weed as it is the decision making.

It raises a number of concerns for me. The intelligence and commitment issues you mentioned. I also question their personality and if they have fallen to the 'I can get away with anything' attitude as well. It's like 6 months of your life to not smoke pot. If he can't put it down for 6 months will he really put in the time to be worth a 1st or 2nd round pick?

Sounds like he needs a foot up his ass

my-foot-up-your-ass.jpg

The point here is not to argue the dangers of weed or the merits of it as a painkiller (that's a cop out for players in my opinion) but rather the mindset of someone you're going to invest millions of dollars in. It's illegal in most states the young man would work in, as far as I know since I don't pay attention, never touched the stuff in my life. So, if I am an owner I ask myself, how committed and intelligent is this person right before the biggest day of his life if he's willing to engage in illegal activity and run the risk of arrest? I wouldn't draft the kid, I think it's indicative of a lack of maturity, intelligence, and professionalism, regards of what people think about it. It's one thing to not care about it for the guy pushing carts at Wegmans, although being high in a parking lot is a liability. Firing him costs you nothing, your business isn't impacted and you don't owe him any money. Getting a guy who smokes weed and gets caught costs your business if your a team owner. Suspensions can hurt your team. The perception can hurt your team's image. I get a chuckle out of the "who cares" crowd, mainly because they likely support legalization, and like many single issue voters, aren't willing to put themselves in the oppositions/contrary viewpoint's shoes. I'd like to see the NFL continue to ban it even if it were legal.

It raises a number of concerns for me. The intelligence and commitment issues you mentioned. I also question their personality and if they have fallen to the 'I can get away with anything' attitude as well. It's like 6 months of your life to not smoke pot. If he can't put it down for 6 months will he really put in the time to be worth a 1st or 2nd round pick?

getting hit at the combine i think raises that a little more, unless there are more details on the incident for ray. the only charge leading to him interacting with the police was not driving in the furthest right lane.

while dumb, im guessing this could hit a TON of nfl players any given trip out. the guy at the combine you have to legit wonder if he will be smart enough to beat the testing system (as easy as it is).

i dont want to excuse either, but unless ray was acting like an incredible idiot to draw attention to himself it sounds a little less offensively stupid.

The point here is not to argue the dangers of weed or the merits of it as a painkiller (that's a cop out for players in my opinion) but rather the mindset of someone you're going to invest millions of dollars in. It's illegal in most states the young man would work in, as far as I know since I don't pay attention, never touched the stuff in my life. So, if I am an owner I ask myself, how committed and intelligent is this person right before the biggest day of his life if he's willing to engage in illegal activity and run the risk of arrest? I wouldn't draft the kid, I think it's indicative of a lack of maturity, intelligence, and professionalism, regards of what people think about it. It's one thing to not care about it for the guy pushing carts at Wegmans, although being high in a parking lot is a liability. Firing him costs you nothing, your business isn't impacted and you don't owe him any money. Getting a guy who smokes weed and gets caught costs your business if your a team owner. Suspensions can hurt your team. The perception can hurt your team's image. I get a chuckle out of the "who cares" crowd, mainly because they likely support legalization, and like many single issue voters, aren't willing to put themselves in the oppositions/contrary viewpoint's shoes. I'd like to see the NFL continue to ban it even if it were legal.

how do you feel about bradham? got popped driving with it. did it effect your view of the teams image? too risky to invest in him? theres a pretty wide gap between a singular incident and a pattern of more serious behavior. it takes that patter to get to a real issue for a club.

i dont, and havent participated, but i think it seems you have as much agenda as anyone you are calling out if you think it should be a banned substance even if fully legalized.

Should alcohol and tobacco be banned also? They are proven addictive and can kill you.

Well... Where to start the merits of marijuana as a painkiller have been shown in many of studies. So many the NFL more than doubled it's pass/fail threshold. In states that it is legal for medical purposes deaths from painkiller overdose is down 25%.

http://www.newsweek.com/states-medical-marijuana-painkiller-deaths-drop-25-266577

How is someone getting popped with pot going to hurt the teams perception when more people think it should be legal than illegal? The latest CBS poll has it 53-43.

http://www.pollingreport.com/drugs.htm

So if you smoke pot and think it should be legal your a single issue voter . That is wrong on so many levels, narrow minded, and judgemental.

Why would NFL ban it if it were legal? Are they going to ban alcohol also?