Sunday Night Football

I get that Sunday Night Football is the NFL's golden goose, and the league likes the spot for "key" matchup, but my god, it's seemingly the same matchup year in and year out!

I'm not necessarily coming at this from a disgruntled Bills fan standpoint (okay...maybe a little), but the league needs to shine the limelight on a few other teams on SNF, imo.

It just seems to me that it's all about bigger markets rather than teams that had success in the previous year.

When MNF was the "key game of the week" back in the day, it seemed like the NFL was more inclined to give teams with at least winning records the previous year a shot. But SNF just feels so...damn corporate!

Year after year, it's the same thing:

Dallas, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, yada yada yada. Shoved down our throats year after year.

Teams that had losing records last year and missed the playoffs that are on SNF this year: San Francisco, The Giants, New Orleans, Chicago and Carolina, all got spots on SNF this year. Again, bigger markets. Just seems unfair to other teams, not just the Bills. The NFL has no issue giving every team a crappy Thursday night game, why not do the same with SNF? Especially since games are rarely flexed late in the year?

Thoughts?

Biggest problem is Carrie Underwood couldn't find any words that rhyme with "Sammy" or "Leshawn" so the opening montage would be all !@#$ed up....I would suggest they shorten her skirt and come up with some new lyrics that rhyme with "Rex".

The NFC East getting forced down our throats in primetime every year is the biggest thing that gets me. I get those teams are in major markets, but outside of the Giants winning the Super Bowl a few years ago, those teams have collectively done very little to deserve the attention they get relative to other divisions.

Personally I believe every single team should have to play 1 Thursday night game during the year and get 1 MNF game every year. SNF should only be scheduled through Sept and should get flexed for the best matchup every week after that.

I get that Sunday Night Football is the NFL's golden goose, and the league likes the spot for "key" matchup, but my god, it's seemingly the same matchup year in and year out!

I'm not necessarily coming at this from a disgruntled Bills fan standpoint (okay...maybe a little), but the league needs to shine the limelight on a few other teams on SNF, imo.

It just seems to me that it's all about bigger markets rather than teams that had success in the previous year.

When MNF was the "key game of the week" back in the day, it seemed like the NFL was more inclined to give teams with at least winning records the previous year a shot. But SNF just feels so...damn corporate!

Year after year, it's the same thing:

Dallas, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, yada yada yada. Shoved down our throats year after year.

Teams that had losing records last year and missed the playoffs that are on SNF this year: San Francisco, The Giants, New Orleans, Chicago and Carolina, all got spots on SNF this year. Again, bigger markets. Just seems unfair to other teams, not just the Bills. The NFL has no issue giving every team a crappy Thursday night game, why not do the same with SNF? Especially since games are rarely flexed late in the year?

Thoughts?

Sunday Night is their main attraction. The same thing happens in college football (you often see Gameday there). Carolina won a playoff game last year so they certainly have a claim.

It is corporate and all about the money. I have no issue with that.

The NFC East getting forced down our throats in primetime every year is the biggest thing that gets me. I get those teams are in major markets, but outside of the Giants winning the Super Bowl a few years ago, those teams have collectively done very little to deserve the attention they get relative to other divisions.

Personally I believe every single team should have to play 1 Thursday night game during the year and get 1 MNF game every year. SNF should only be scheduled through Sept and should get flexed for the best matchup every week after that.

You are 100% correct. Outside of the two flukey Giants teams (10-6 and 9-7 I believe) the NFC East has been the most overrated division in football for the past 10 years. But they're billed as "the most competitive division in football" because there's a different winner every year. Hmm, maybe that's because there isn't a dominant team in that division? If you look at out of division records over the past 10 years or so, they come in either second or third to last (AFC South takes this), yet they're often billed as one of the best. And it's because of what you said -- they get forced down our throats in primetime year in and year out and get nonstop coverage from ESPN and all the other talking heads, because those are the bigger markets.

I get that some teams have bigger markets than others, but the NFL is the highest rated sport in the nation. If a meaningful football game is on the viewers are gonna watch. I know I personally do anyway. I don't get why they just don't give every team one sunday night game a season. The Jaguars would get watch on SNF as long as they played that game against someone like the Ravens or Patriots or Broncos or something like that. If they gave us a SNF game against Dallas this year or even against someone like even the Bengals it would get watch by millions of viewers. The NFL doesn't seem to comprehend this though

I get that some teams have bigger markets than others, but the NFL is the highest rated sport in the nation. If a meaningful football game is on the viewers are gonna watch. I know I personally do anyway. I don't get why they just don't give every team one sunday night game a season. The Jaguars would get watch on SNF as long as they played that game against someone like the Ravens or Patriots or Broncos or something like that. If they gave us a SNF game against Dallas this year or even against someone like even the Bengals it would get watch by millions of viewers. The NFL doesn't seem to comprehend this though

SNF is tough. On one hand, people are going to watch the NFL regardless of who is playing. On the other hand, (assuming I'm not busy) by the time Sunday night rolls around I've watched the Thursday game, about 12 hours of college football on Saturday and 7 hours of Redzone/the Bills on Sunday. Unless it's a compelling matchup, I don't watch SNF and reserve that time for making sure my wife doesn't divorce me.

So no, I'm a huge football fan, but I wouldn't watch the Browns / Jags / Titans get their brains beat in by the Pats or worse watch a garbagefest involving two of those teams at once.

As I mentioned earlier, Thursday is a disadvantage and every team should have it once (and only once). Monday night should be a special treat and every fanbase should get that once. But SNF should stritctly be reserved for the biggest game of the week, not the biggest markets.

Biggest problem is Carrie Underwood couldn't find any words that rhyme with "Sammy" or "Leshawn" so the opening montage would be all !@#$ed up....I would suggest they shorten her skirt and come up with some new lyrics that rhyme with "Rex".

:thumbsup:

Agree with all of what you're saying with the same teams playing, but I am happy the bills aren't playing sunday night, nothing beats bills football on a early sunday afternoon

Or Monday night , Saturday night, Wednesday around noon, Friday morning..............

Tex?

The NFL weighs many factors in determining the participants and location of prime time games on the league schedule to ensure the best possible experience for all our fans.

I know this is just your username, I get it, but I'm gonna pretend you are the actual Roger Goodell and say YOU'RE FULL OF $H!T !!!!!

*Flex could happen. I look at the end of the year and I see Bills at Eagle, Cowgirls at Bills as two games that could switch

Awesome...that'd bring Dallas' yearly total to four, pending they didn't or don't get flexed before or after week 16!

Agree with all of what you're saying with the same teams playing, but I am happy the bills aren't playing sunday night, nothing beats bills football on a early sunday afternoon

I agree, Primetime is nice and all but Sunday night games tend to run pretty late. I'm content going to my Bills bar at noon and drinking beers all afternoon.

I honestly don't think I've seen more than 5 minutes of Sunday night football over the last 4-5 years, unless the Bills were on, but I don't recall them being on in a long time. It's bad enough seeing the Giants, Cowboys, Patriots and Broncos on most of the 4 o'clock games.

I would rather watch reruns of Modern Family than SNF.

Yeah, I was a little bummed out too. I really thought crazy Chip Kelly vs. Rex and Shady's homecoming was gonna get us a Sunday Night game. I get it though. It sucks but they're always gonna go with big market teams over us unless we keep winning. I am excited to knock the Patriots* off their throne for Monday Night Football week 11 though.