Don’t-give-a-damn workers are dragging down the economy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a manager of a small shop I agree with the author.

"OK, using the term erosion is much too polite, so I’m just going to come right out and say it: There are just a lot of unmotivated, poorly educated, don’t-give-a-damn workers out there who couldn’t care less about increasing productivity or being nice to customers."

It's very hard to find good people at the basic labor level. Usually have to go through 3 or 4 before you get a good one. They know they have a large, long comprehensive safety net to go to if they I make them produce at a level uncomfortable to them. At least thats part of the reason. The young ones are coddled by their parents. Physical labor is totally foreign to them. They have never had to cut a lawn or help with house repairs. Bred to be useless.

As a manager of a small shop I agree with the author.

"OK, using the term erosion is much too polite, so I’m just going to come right out and say it: There are just a lot of unmotivated, poorly educated, don’t-give-a-damn workers out there who couldn’t care less about increasing productivity or being nice to customers."

It's very hard to find good people at the basic labor level. Usually have to go through 3 or 4 before you get a good one. They know they have a large, long comprehensive safety net to go to if they I make them produce at a level uncomfortable to them. At least thats part of the reason. The young ones are coddled by their parents. Physical labor is totally foreign to them. They have never had to cut a lawn or help with house repairs. Bred to be useless.

I would agree with this observation, but, would add, that attitude is no longer reserved for the lower positions in any company.

Management is getting just as bad. Our shop made the decision two years back to reduce the number of parts vendors having their products made in China/Mexico etc.

It is very frustrating to deal with US companys who just don't give a damm. Poor quality, poor techical assistance and customer service, failure to meet delivery dates, and zero communication beyond the billing for their garbage company's performance.

It is a very frustrating enviorrnment to do business in.

I would agree with this observation, but, would add, that attitude is no longer reserved for the lower positions in any company.

Management is getting just as bad. Our shop made the decision two years back to reduce the number of parts vendors having their products made in China/Mexico etc.

It is very frustrating to deal with US companys who just don't give a damm. Poor quality, poor techical assistance and customer service, failure to meet delivery dates, and zero communication beyond the billing for their garbage company's performance.

It is a very frustrating enviorrnment to do business in.

Yes this as well. I find myself now having to chase suppliers more. I have to kind of remind them to expedite Good point. Also, they depend on eCommerce software to fulfill orders. I think there is a bit of a disconnect from the customer(you and me) which can't help the service end either. What is frustrating to us, since we kind of use the on time system, when the software gliches for some reason, we don't find out until the next day! Many times we need the product that day or early the next for production.A human being on their end is not aware of it unless we call.

Edited by Dante

so what is the solution? i suggest it's more emphasis on education. and the vehicle for most of the folks mentioned here will be public schools. we need to demand more from the students and the institutions. and if a student doesn't want to be there, let him go. spend the resources on motivated kids.

so what is the solution? i suggest it's more emphasis on education. and the vehicle for most of the folks mentioned here will be public schools. we need to demand more from the students and the institutions. and if a student doesn't want to be there, let him go. spend the resources on motivated kids.

Better education at home. Solid work ethic installed by the parents. Since the schools will never teach practical economic skills, they would rather teach why little Wendy has two dads, parents have to teach basic credit rating and personal saving stuff. Also kids have to be warned about radical left wing brainwashing. They have to be encouraged to basically believe none of what you hear(political , social BS from the teacher) and only half of what you see. In short, question anything that is up for interpretation like a lot of history, current events and social engineering. Now if it's something solid and written down like the Constitution they can believe it. Unless of course, some numskull educator punches above weight and spews out his or hers own interpretation of it. Thats when that message has to be looked at with a high level of skepticism. If not outright disbelief.

Edited by Dante

For the jobs that the author of the article is talking about education doesn't have a lot to do with the poor outcome. A high school graduate that knows the difference between to, two and too, then and than and except and accept is all that's needed. What's lacking is work ethic. A good share of the younger work force has never really been required to work at home or get a part time job while in high school. It's the parents that need to instill in their children an honest work ethic and demand excellence in everything they do. I'm willing to bet that the quality of the Instruction would go up in proportion with the demands that the parents place on the children's performance in school.

Gee, you mean all that self-esteem that we have been indoctrinating in the schools didn't work ?

Oh it's worked wonders. A whole generation now understands that they have no reason to work hard, should expect success as a birthright, and deserves "respect" from all while giving it to none.

Better education at home. Solid work ethic installed by the parents. Since the schools will never teach practical economic skills, they would rather teach why little Wendy has two dads, parents have to teach basic credit rating and personal saving stuff. Also kids have to be warned about radical left wing brainwashing. They have to be encouraged to basically believe none of what you hear(political , social BS from the teacher) and only half of what you see. In short, question anything that is up for interpretation like a lot of history, current events and social engineering. Now if it's something solid and written down like the Constitution they can believe it. Unless of course, some numskull educator punches above weight and spews out his or hers own interpretation of it. Thats when that message has to be looked at with a high level of skepticism. If not outright disbelief.

they're not gonna get it at home. it's multigenerational in many cases. wishing that wasn't so doesn't change anything.

outside intervention is required, be that through incentives, disincentives or surrogate parents (ie schools and teachers). the kids need role models. they need to see that they can succeed. if they feel they're predestined for menial labor for a lifetime, it will continue to result in the quality of workers you are complaining about. oih, and imprisoning a large percentage of them or their parents isn't working out too well either. that's what we're doing now.

Devil's advocate here. Why should they give a damn?

People top to bottom always hated being worked, especially manual work. Most everybody wants to call the shots.

If people's work is not being rewarded, why in all honesty should they give a damn. How do you get people to take "ownership" when they have very little "ownership" or vested interest in what they are doing. They just move on to something else. Just like "renters" in the workforce.

Isn't this the drawback to a service economy? How do you give a guy like Bob Cratchit to give a schit? Starve them? That ain't happening.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

they're not gonna get it at home. it's multigenerational in many cases. wishing that wasn't so doesn't change anything.

outside intervention is required, be that through incentives, disincentives or surrogate parents (ie schools and teachers). the kids need role models. they need to see that they can succeed. if they feel they're predestined for menial labor for a lifetime, it will continue to result in the quality of workers you are complaining about. oih, and imprisoning a large percentage of them or their parents isn't working out too well either. that's what we're doing now.

It is your liberal policies that have caused the disintegration of the American family, most notably in the African-American community so doubling down on liberal policies is not what will solve the problem. LABilzFan has a point. We make it too easy to not care if we have a job or not.

If all these workers are only about half as capable as previous workers why don't these businesses have twice the number of workers? what I see is businesses with less than half the staffing they use to have.

Is this rhetorical, or serious?

If all these workers are only about half as capable as previous workers why don't these businesses have twice the number of workers? what I see is businesses with less than half the staffing they use to have.

If you could design an algorithm where the human productivity exactly offsets the non-productivity, you'd be a zillionnaire. Of course you can't.

The obvious answer is more tax money for schools, right liberals?

The downward spiral we see in America directly correlates to the amount of government involvement in our daily lives. Congrats liberals, on reaping what you've sewn.

Liberals bad, blah blah

Capitalism has provided such plenty and labor saving devices that people are getting a little too use to it. Victims of our own success

Liberals bad, blah blah

Capitalism has provided such plenty and labor saving devices that people are getting a little too use to it. Victims of our own success

Which is why we must destroy capitalism with government regulation...