(OT) Good old movies

BB27

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Casablanca and African Queen, but I also enjoyed Key Largo, The Big Sleep, To Have and To Have Not and The Maltese Falcon.

233113[/snapback]

Last Bogie film I saw was Angels With Dirty Faces from the new Warner Gangsters box set. He wasn't the star, but he sure was great in it.

Speaking of that set, White Heat's one of my all-time favorites.

Last Bogie film I saw was Angels With Dirty Faces from the new Warner Gangsters box set. He wasn't the star, but he sure was great in it.

Speaking of that set, White Heat's one of my all-time favorites.

233120[/snapback]

I do not remember him being bad in any film I have seen. Some were better than others, but IMO he was good in everything I have seen. Granted, I have not seen all of his films.

I haven't seen anyone else mention Buster Keaton. Anyone else a fan of his?

I haven't seen anyone else mention Buster Keaton. Anyone else a fan of his?

233134[/snapback]

Big fan, I've got almost all of his silent features. The General is his best film, but I prefer Sherlock Jr. and Our Hospitality because I think they're funnier.

What a tragic waste of genius.

Big fan, I've got almost all of his silent features. The General is his best film, but I prefer Sherlock Jr. and Our Hospitality because I think they're funnier.

233142[/snapback]

I have a bunch of his short films as well. Good stuff.

Science Fiction:

The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951) Great sci-fi, great robot, ahead of it's time.

Forbidden Planet(1956) Robby the Robot, The ID monster, and a serious role for Leslie Nielsen.

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) Classic Harryhausen creature feature.

Them!(1954) One of the first of the nuclear disaster films. Also, one of the best.

You must be my long lost brother. Don't forget 'Earth Versus the Flying Saucers' from Haryhausen either.

233142[/snapback]

I'm a big Keaton fan too. Our Hospitality is my favorite. Turner Classic Videons just released The Cameraman on DVD--his last silent--and his first two sound movies. The sound films aren't as good, but The Cameraman is fine.

The Grapes of Wrath-1940 Great book and great movie.

Marty-1955 with Ernest Borgnine.

The Party-1965? with Peter Sellers.

Neil Simon movies

The Odd Couple-1968

Plaza Suite-1970

The Out-of-Towners-1971

233196[/snapback]

"Marty" got the Oscars for Best Picture, actor, director, and screenplay.

You might like to check out one of Seller's last movies - "Being There".

And don't forget 1964's "My Fair Lady"...casting, costumes, dialogue, music - one of the best productions ever. Something like 8 Oscars.

I'd add "Schindler's List" to the rankings, also.

I Remember Mama (1948) with Irene Dunne, who won an Academy Award for her role.

Very touching movie...

If you've never seen the Marx Brothers in A Night at the Opera (1935) or Horse Feathers (1932), they are worth your while.

Also, another of my favorites is Sidney Poitier in Lilies of the Field (1963).

Kwai.

233687[/snapback]

Speaking of William Holden movies, loved his last one called the Earthling.

Anybody else see it? Bout a man who moves back to the Australian bush to die where he was born, and must teach Ricky Shroeder how to survive in the wild,

Mr. Holden died right after filming was complete, getting blind drunk and crackin his head on a corner of a table.. The director also died after filming, as he was dying of cancer when the movie was made, and the movie was meant to be semi-autbiographical