(OT) Good old movies

BB27

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullitt and Cool Hand Luke come to mind immediately.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) is also good if you dig the old school comedians like Milton Berle, Sid Ceasar, Johnathan Winters and Buddy Hackett.

Has anyone ever seen "Lonely are the Brave" starring Kirk Douglas (1962)?

Really good movie, back in the day of acting not special effects.

Anyone know any other good ones?

232656[/snapback]

No one acts anymore. Everything that is old is great. Nothing new is any good. Paul McCartney is the best half time performer ever. Blah! Blah! Blah!

Personally, movies haven't been the same since they invented sound. What really drives me crazy is all this color on the TV. What do we need all the color for black and white is just fine.

Frankly, why do we need TV? I long for the day when a man can come home from a tough day of riveting. Open up the ice box and have a Genny Creme Ale, while lounging in my dungarees and listen to a fireside chat on the Victrola. :doh:

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

good movie...cary grants a good actor...try these:

Father Goose(1964), Opperation Petticoat(1959), I Was A Male War Bride(1949), His Girl Friday(1940)

The Five Pennies (1959) with Danny Kaye

pretty good movie..allways liked danny kaye movies..try these from danny kaye as well, all good:

The Court Jester(1956), Hans Christian Anderson(1952), The Inspector General(1949), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty(1947), The Kid From Broklyn(1946), Wonderman(1945), On the Double(1961)....just a few good ones

A Tale of Two Cities, 1935. One of my all time favorites. But there's too many to list, and too many I haven't seen yet.

I looked on TCM's site, gotta set the Tivo for the Pink Panther this week on 3/12. Maybe even the Revenge of the Pink Panther on the 13th.

French Connection-Gene Hackman

Dirty Harry- my favorite actor Clint Eastwood

232918[/snapback]

Ooooo....those reminded me. "The Conversation" with Gene Hackman and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" (a spaghetti western standard).

Now this is my kind of topic, where do I begin?

Fantasia(1940) My favorite Disney movie of all-time.

Great comedies:

Bringing Up Baby(1938) Grant & Hepburn in a great screwball comedy.

The Odd Couple(1968) Lemmon & Matthau. Classic comedy.

Barefoot in the Park(1967) Great romantic comedy with Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Charles Boyer, and a hilarious turn by Mildred Natwick.

Murder by Death(1976) All-star cast in a comedy/murder mystery.

Thrillers:

Dracula(1931) Bela Lugosi. One of the best versions.

Nosferatu(1922) If you are ok with silent films, then you'll enjoy. The most frightening looking Dracula ever.

The Phantom of the Opera(1925) Chaney's Phantom is the best.

The Old Dark House(1932) Underrated James Whale picture with Boris Karloff. It's on dvd, check it out.

Cat People(1942) One of the best by Val Lewton.

Westerns:

My Darling Clemintine(1946) Good early adapatation of Wyatt Earp.

Once Upon A Time In The West(1968) Great spaghetti western. Henry Fonda as the bad guy, Charles Bronson as the good guy, and Jason Robards is along for the ride.

Science Fiction:

The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951) Great sci-fi, great robot, ahead of it's time.

Forbidden Planet(1956) Robby the Robot, The ID monster, and a serious role for Leslie Nielsen.

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) Classic Harryhausen creature feature.

Them!(1954) One of the first of the nuclear disaster films. Also, one of the best.

I could go on,and on, but I don't want to make this post too long. Enjoy.

Two great movies that they have recently made remakes of:

The Longest Yard

The Flight of the Phoenix

I could believe that the remakes might be decent movies and enjoyable to watch but why the hell are they being remade in the first place. Were these originals missing something that the new ones will add?????

Could someone please tell me why great movies are remade??!!

:doh::doh::lol:

Ben Hur

Patton

M

Citizen Kane

Rebel Without a Cause

High Planes Drifter

Good, Bad, Ugly

Fistful of Dollars

Shane

The Quiet Man

The Manchurian Candidate(the original)

Rear Window

Annie Hall

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Casablanca

The Magnificant 7

I can go on-those are off the top of my head- I will get back to this thread later

Could someone please tell me why great movies are remade??!!

:doh:  :doh:  :lol:

232963[/snapback]

I never minded it until someone talked me in to seeing the original version of 'The Manchurian Candidate'. This was truly a great film. When I saw the remake, even though Denzel did a wonderful job (as usual), the changes they made screwed it up. The took out one of the central characters to the plot and then tried to spread his role over two returning characters. In my opinion, the movie completely failed as a remake. The original was far superior.

I never minded it until someone talked me in to seeing the original version of 'The Manchurian Candidate'. This was truly a great film. When I saw the remake, even though Denzel did a wonderful job (as usual), the changes they made screwed it up. The took out one of the central characters to the plot and then tried to spread his role over two returning characters. In my opinion, the movie completely failed as a remake. The original was far superior.

232977[/snapback]

Yes. The original was lost to audiences for many years, because Frank Sinatra had contractural distribution rights, and Frank and his cohorts did not want leftists to be shown in a negative light.

Strange but true - after the original movie theater and tv showings, it disappeared from view until Sinatra passed on.