(OT) Good old movies

BB27

All of these great movies, and yet noone has mentioned one of the finest 'older' movies ever, 'Casablanca'.

But don't limit your Bogart just to that flick. 'African Queen' is outstanding, as well.

Someone else mentioned 'Arsenic and Old Lace.' If you've never seen this, it is a MUST see movie. Known as a swooner, Carey Grant is hysterical in this play-turned-movie, though most of the humor is based on his reacting to the circumstances around him. The kindly old ladys deliver terrific innocent comedy as they set out to sublet a room in their house, and end up mercy killing one lonely old man after another by lacing his elderberry wine with arsenic.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of these great movies, and yet noone has mentioned one of the finest 'older' movies ever, 'Casablanca'.

But don't limit your Bogart just to that flick. 'African Queen' is outstanding, as well.

Someone else mentioned 'Arsenic and Old Lace.' If you've never seen this, it is a MUST see movie. Known as a swooner, Carey Grant is hysterical in this play-turned-movie, though most of the humor is based on his reacting to the circumstances around him. The kindly old ladys deliver terrific innocent comedy as they set out to sublet a room in their house, and end up mercy killing one lonely old man after another by lacing his elderberry wine with arsenic.

232983[/snapback]

I mentioned it. Can't you read a thread? :doh:

And go see "Harvey" ... :doh:

232983[/snapback]

I mentioned Casablanca

I knew someone mentioned it. Shoulda known it was you. And I saw Harvey. Very good movie...and play.

232988[/snapback]

Get a hold of the Barrymore/Stewart comedy flick - "You Can't Take It With You"...it'll crack you up. Oscar winner for best movie of 1938. Directed by Frank Capra. It's a real rip.

A couple of Marilyn Monroe flicks were fun - Some Like It Hot and The Seven Year Itch come to mind.

232999[/snapback]

I was just thinking of Some Like it Hot as I was catching up on the thread.

Fun movie.

In the same vain, I would recommend "West Side Story," the only movie (IIFC) to ever win 11 Academy Awards (1961). The story stands the test of time, and to this day remains to single best movie I have ever seen.

232739[/snapback]

I love that movie LA, from start to finish. In a trivia note, the opening scene was shot in one take!

My daughter wrote a paper about it in college and got an A. It seems that she feels that the movie was a major setback for hispanic women because they are portrayed as sex fiends. Maid in Manhattan didn't sit too well with her either.

The kid is a little serious, you know?

232983[/snapback]

I liked Casablanca and African Queen, but I also enjoyed Key Largo, The Big Sleep, To Have and To Have Not and The Maltese Falcon.