Even Tuel will get 1st string reps per Roman

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And why is this a surprise? Further, why is this a surprise that the new OC would say this in an offseason presser?

Reporter: "Uh, is Jeff Tuel going see 1st team rep's?"

Roman: "Nah, we already know he isn't going to be playing, and will likely be released, so Tuel will be relegated to water boy duty."

C'mon!!

While I don't envision him being any better or worse than EJ, Tyrod Taylor or Matt Cassel, when I think of Jeff Tuel I think only of that heinous INT against undefeated KC a few years back that pretty much buried our playoff chances that year.

i don't think much of Tuel, but i don't think he should be defined by one play. I don't think any player should. That said, it is up to him to make everyone forget that play,just as it is up to Ej to make everyone forget his pick 6 to Watt. Lots of great QBs throw horrible game changing picks. They need to overcome that. The good ones come back with great plays to show that bad ones don't define them.

The fact that those picks each came the last time we saw these two in meaningful action doesn't help but they can move past it.

And why is this a surprise? Further, why is this a surprise that the new OC would say this in an offseason presser?

Reporter: "Uh, is Jeff Tuel going see 1st team rep's?"

Roman: "Nah, we already know he isn't going to be playing, and will likely be released, so Tuel will be relegated to water boy duty."

C'mon!!

usually a player who was on the PS the previous year doesn't take up valuable reps with the first team if there are 3 guys in front of him. Edited by YoloinOhio

I like what I've seen of Jeff -Pick 6 notwithstanding. He's now a 3rd year Bill QB who was definitely a 'Project QB'. Has he learned? Grown? He has Tuel tools, so let's see.

I wouldn't be shocked if by seasons' start -He's moved up the depth chart. Let alone still a Bill.

Tuel won't be the guy (at least I wouldn't think). He made a huge mistake in the KC game but they also had 470 yards of offense against a good defense. I am okay with giving him a look. It would be REALLY surprising if he were to win the job but there is no reason to not explore all options.

Tuel won't be the guy (at least I wouldn't think). He made a huge mistake in the KC game but they also had 470 yards of offense against a good defense. I am okay with giving him a look. It would be REALLY surprising if he were to win the job but there is no reason to not explore all options.

I think, personally, the proper approach here is split the already limited reps 3 ways (maybe primarily 2 even) and let the chips go wherever they fall. if someone falls out of the top group and tuel plays his way into it - cool, but im not earmarking a single first team rep for him out of the gate.

I like what I've seen of Jeff -Pick 6 notwithstanding. He's now a 3rd year Bill QB who was definitely a 'Project QB'. Has he learned? Grown? He has Tuel tools, so let's see.

I wouldn't be shocked if by seasons' start -He's moved up the depth chart. Let alone still a Bill.

All of this.

Tuel has the "moxy" to get the ball downfield. He plays like his job is to deliver the ball to playmakers and give them a chance to make a play. And not just sit around and wait for the perfect guy to be obviously open.

Edited by maddenboy

I think too many folks have forgotten the KC game.

He was okay whilst running the scripted plays; then he completely fell apart.

He had the deadly pick-6, yes, but does anyone remember his air-mailing Scott Chandler by about 15 yards on his other brutal INT that gave KC the ball in our territory?

Or his missing a wide open TJ Graham late in the 4th quarter?

I'm out on Tuel

He had the deadly pick-6, yes, but does anyone remember his air-mailing Scott Chandler by about 15 yards on his other brutal INT that gave KC the ball in our territory?

I'm out on Tuel

1 game as a rookie his first week with first team reps, and he overthrew a reciever? Cmoooon, you gotta be kidding me, this kid is terrible!

I'm out on Tuel

Just to be clear I'm not advocating for Tuel (at all). I am just saying that there is no reason to not take a look at him especially if they are going with the duel practice field approach.

I'm starting to get the feeling (maybe it's just me) that they want Tyrod to be the guy. He is the guy that they brought here and a guy that Rex tried to trade for previously. He has electrifying speed and they may see him as a read option type of guy like RW.

They wanted McCown badly and settled for Cassel. He has the highest floor so will certainly be given a chance (if not the early clubhouse lead). EJ will be a prominent figure in the competition as well. I think that Cassel is still the favorite to start at this point (maybe 65%), followed be EJ (30%) and Tyrod (5%). If Tyrod looks on par with those guys though you will certainly see his % rise.

1 game as a rookie his first week with first team reps, and he overthrew a reciever? Cmoooon, you gotta be kidding me, this kid is terrible!

Please.

It was an example...my over-arching point was that he fell apart once the scripted plays were run, and couldn't even come close to adapting to the ebb and flow of a game. He made brutal mistakes at the most critical times.

Just to be clear I'm not advocating for Tuel (at all). I am just saying that there is no reason to not take a look at him especially if they are going with the duel practice field approach.

I'm starting to get the feeling (maybe it's just me) that they want Tyrod to be the guy. He is the guy that they brought here and a guy that Rex tried to trade for previously. He has electrifying speed and they may see him as a read option type of guy like RW.

They wanted McCown badly and settled for Cassel. He has the highest floor so will certainly be given a chance (if not the early clubhouse lead). EJ will be a prominent figure in the competition as well. I think that Cassel is still the favorite to start at this point (maybe 65%), followed be EJ (30%) and Tyrod (5%). If Tyrod looks on par with those guys though you will certainly see his % rise.

I hear you...I too wonder if they would like Taylor to win the job.

My money, however, is still on EJ (for better or worse).