Marco Rubio's Hat in in the Ring

I don't always agree with Rubio's political stances, but I gotta give the guy respect for his life story, he definitely came from humble beginnings, like Obama, it's refreshing compared to the Clintons and Bushes of the country.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The moment Rubio left the state legislature in 2008, because of Florida’s term-limit laws, is etched in Dan Gelber’s mind. As the Democratic minority leader, Gelber constantly sparred with Rubio on the issues, and called Rubio — an advocate for gun rights and opponent of abortion, gay marriage and legalizing marijuana — “a talented spokesman for the severe right wing.”

On their last day in the House, Gelber offered his parting words, and then Speaker Rubio delivered an emotional farewell, and ended by talking about his faith: “God is real. . . . God is not some old man with a big white beard. . . . God is a real force of love. . . . I have seen it in a hospice nurse,” who stays through the night “because she doesn’t want an old lady to die by herself.”

Amid the standing ovation, Gelber glanced up in the gallery at his wife: “She was crying! I threw up my arms and looked at her and said, ‘Really?’ ”“If he weren’t in politics, he would be a televangelist and be one of the best,” Gelber says.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/04/14/marco-rubio-a-man-in-a-hurry/

All the more reason not to vote Rubio. He can't win.

(edited the quote for clarity)

I'm not sure it's clear even in an edited state, but are you saying he can't win because he considers himself a disciple of Christ?

Edited by LABillzFan

I don't always agree with Rubio's political stances, but I gotta give the guy respect for his life story, he definitely came from humble beginnings, like Obama, it's refreshing compared to the Clintons and Bushes of the country.

Bill Clinton was adopted and dirt poor

I'm not sure it's clear even in an edited state, but are you saying he can't win because he considers himself a disciple of Christ?

Prolly not - maybe because he has sliced his platform down so narrowly he will never win a general election....

No, and I agree, that was a terribly unclear post above (sorry Mag). I have no problem with elected officials being religious, being evangelical is another ball of yarn. Mainly because it directly conflicts with that person's ability to separate their beliefs and religious mandates from their legislative responsibilities. A man driven by faith is fine, a man blinded by faith is not -- at least in terms of an elected official. And, in my eyes, evangelicals (across all religions) by their very nature are blinded by their faith.

That said, I realize Rubio isn't evangelical -- he's a reformed Morman/Catholic/Baptist/Whatever-helps-me-get-elected.

Gelber constantly sparred with Rubio on the issues, and called Rubio — an advocate for gun rights and opponent of abortion, gay marriage and legalizing marijuana — “a talented spokesman for the severe right wing.”

If he wants to win he should play this up. This seems to be a freedom/get the government out of my bedroom/smaller government issue that Republicans allegedly love. Would help him with the libertarian types and the liberals as well. Legalization has won by huge margins in the last states/district it has been put on the ballot for voters to decide. And several more states will be voting for it next year. Issue could have coattails if he were associated with and Hillary isn't.

Keeping marijuana illegal is what old school out of touch politicians do.

Edited by reddogblitz

If he wants to win he should play this up. This seems to be a freedom/get the government out of my bedroom/smaller government issue that Republicans allegedly love. Would help him with the libertarian types and the liberals as well. Legalization has won by huge margins in the last states/district it has been put on the ballot for voters to decide. And several more states will be voting for it next year. Issue could have coattails if he were associated with and Hillary isn't.

Keeping marijuana illegal is what old school out of touch politicians do.

The quote says he's an opponent of legalizing marijuana.

The quote says he's an opponent of legalizing marijuana.

Ah yes I see.

This is a squirrely written sentence: As the Democratic minority leader, Gelber constantly sparred with Rubio on the issues, and called Rubio — an advocate for gun rights and opponent of abortion, gay marriage and legalizing marijuana — “a talented spokesman for the severe right wing.”Oh well, he might want to reconsider that.

If Hillary can be for Iraq before she was against it, he can change on this too.

Why isn't legalization a freedom/get government out of my bedroom/smaller government thing?

Edited by reddogblitz

I think we completely agree here. That Chipotle thing was pretty embarrassing, yet the jingoistic narrow-minded ate it up.

I disagree. While the Chipotle episode may have been embarrassing to some, I believe to have worked pretty well. Appeared to be perfectly executed where Hillary goes in with her big ole sun glasses on wearing a non descript outfit. They get in and out unrecognized. Then a few miles down the road Huma rings em up and asks if Hillary was there and suggests checking the security camera (which they knew where was so Hillary would be in the right place). Besides, millennials love Chipotle.

It accomplished the objective of Hillary just being a regular person because no one recognized her and I did read in the paper she carried her own tray!

I disagree. While the Chipotle episode may have been embarrassing to some, I believe to have worked pretty well. Appeared to be perfectly executed where Hillary goes in with her big ole sun glasses on wearing a non descript outfit. They get in and out unrecognized. Then a few miles down the road Huma rings em up and asks if Hillary was there and suggests checking the security camera (which they knew where was so Hillary would be in the right place). Besides, millennials love Chipotle.

It accomplished the objective of Hillary just being a regular person because no one recognized her and I did read in the paper she carried her own tray!

The only people who would walk away from the Chipotle thing thinking that Hillary really is just a regular person are either gatorman-level nutsuckers, or or people unable to think for themselves.

Wait. I think that's redundant.

You would think the left would prefer it not be so obvious that their target audience almost exclusively comprises idiots.

Marco Rubio would pose the biggest challenge to Hillary. It's just a matter of whether or not the tea party folks could accept him.... I'd say it's 50/50

wanna bet? http://www.ibtimes.com/gop-nomination-odds-2016-jeb-bush-favorite-marco-rubio-most-popular-bet-1793430. rubio has better odds for the gop nomination than the bills do of winning the sb but that's not saying much. i suspect you can at least double those odds to win the prez election. must admit, they're better than i thought however.

also interesting: http://www.predictwise.com/politics/2016RepNomination

Edited by birdog1960

Why isn't legalization a freedom/get government out of my bedroom/smaller government thing?

I'm a huge advocate for smaller government, and or what it's worth, I absolutely think weed should be legal. I'm no longer a fan of casual marijuana use, but I don't think it should be illegal. I would think that people who are truly advocates of smaller government, less restrictive laws, and more personal responsibility would support legalization of marijuana. I suspect that most libertarian-minded people would feel the same.

Obama rubio has better odds for the gop Democratic nomination than the bills do of winning the sb but that's not saying much. i suspect you can at least double those odds to win the prez election. must admit, they're better than i thought however.

A Republican could have easily written the modified sentence above at this point in the 2008 election.

You can literally take everything you know about the 2016 election, write it down on a piece of paper, crumble it and have it fit comfortably in the ass of a gnat.

And by literally, I don't mean figuratively.

A Republican could have easily written the modified sentence above at this point in the 2008 election.

You can literally take everything you know about the 2016 election, write it down on a piece of paper, crumble it and have it fit comfortably in the ass of a gnat.

And by literally, I don't mean figuratively.

Rubio:

Was for immigration - now is against it.

Against immigrants getting preferential treatment - unless its his parents

Doesn't want to level with Cuba because it is communist and will go back on BO naturalizing relations - OK do the same with China (Nixon) and Russia (Reagan/Bush) if you are so principled. Plus - just plain stupid.

Will shut down communication with ME countries - sounds like a winning strategy - of course no clear strategy other than 'Merica!

OK - blow the liberal whistle on me - this guy has nothing - all of the above show his inch deep comprehension of complicated issues - and the typical GOTP simplistic answers.

Where have the James Bakers of the GOP gone?

Edited by baskin

Ummm, ya, Bill Clinton also came from humble beginnings

Edited by gatorman

Rubio:

Doesn't want to level with Cuba because it is communist and will go back on BO naturalizing relations - OK do the same with China (Nixon) and Russia (Reagan/Bush) if you are so principled. Plus - just plain stupid.

Will shut down communication with ME countries - sounds like a winning strategy - of course no clear strategy other than 'Merica!

OK - blow the liberal whistle on me - this guy has nothing - all of the above show his inch deep comprehension of complicated issues - and the typical GOTP simplistic answers.

they've been drummed out as RINO's. the extremists have caused their extinction.

Rubio:

LOL.............Hey, in your latest, cartoonish, and laughingly dishonest misrepresentation of what Senator Rubio, and Conservatives believe, you forgot the word "narrow"

From your previous posts in the thread, I thought that was the mantra of the week.

It would be refreshing if you could deal with Conservative Politician's good points, and their bad ones, without regurgitating the same false caricatures.

they've been drummed out as RINO's. the extremists have caused their extinction.

That's funny, considering that the moderate democrats in the Senate and house are virtually extinct.

See Blue Dog Democrats

Rubio:

You are either a liar or an uninformed lemming.

Rubio is still for immigration reform.

Anyone who actually keeps up with this stuff knows that both Democrats and Republicans come away very impressed with Mr Rubios depth on all the issues.

Rubio is a charismatic senator who has impressed even some Democrats in the Senate since he took office — plus crowds of Iowa primary voters and deep-pocketed Republican donors in recent months.

The Republican establishment has been bombarded with a "shock and awe" campaign to cast Jeb Bush as the frontrunner for the party's nomination. And that's cast Rubio — another Florida Republican with Latino appeal and skepticism from the base — into the shadows as an also-ran.

But in conversations with conservative policy experts and Democratic Senate staff who've worked with Rubio on legislation, and Republican funders and local officials who've seen him in action on the campaign trail, one thing is clear: even a lot of people who aren't supporting Rubio for president think that, both as a policy mind and a political talent, he is a force to be reckoned with.

Which now reconfirms that anything you say moving forward has no credibility.

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/6/8350757/marco-rubio-president

And stop pretending to not be a liberal, dumbass.

wanna bet? http://www.ibtimes.com/gop-nomination-odds-2016-jeb-bush-favorite-marco-rubio-most-popular-bet-1793430. rubio has better odds for the gop nomination than the bills do of winning the sb but that's not saying much. i suspect you can at least double those odds to win the prez election. must admit, they're better than i thought however.

also interesting: http://www.predictwise.com/politics/2016RepNomination

I wasn't referring to that. Re read what I wrote, I said he has a 50/50 chance at gathering the support of the Tea party, not at winning the primary. Even though those odds are much better than I thought betting odds would have given him at this point.

All the more reason not to vote Rubio. He can't win.

(edited the quote for clarity)

I suppose I could have tried to add a little more context. The part of the article that I was attempting to high light was the fact that his foe in the state legislature's wife began crying after Rubio's speech and Gelber conceding that he is a gifted speaker.

And he can win.

Edited by Magox