A Clue to "Never Give Up"'s Identity Perhaps?

MattM

You make the call....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/10/sports/hockey/a-sabres-fans-lament-they-cant-lose-them-all.html?_r=0

Check out the bottom:

"My sons, James, 5, and Leo, 7, have never lived in Buffalo, but they support the Bills and the Sabres. In 2011, Leo got an autographed football bearing the inscription “Never Give Up” from the former Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick after being punched at school for supporting the Bills. So last week he couldn’t understand why I was so angry that the Sabres were beating the Blackhawks.

“Why are you rooting against our team?” he asked.

I tried to explain that we were fighting for last place and needed to keep losing to get a really good player, but he wasn’t buying it.

“Fitzpatrick said never give up, Dad,” Leo said.

I took his point, but as this ignominious season winds down, I will be rooting hard for a fitting conclusion: another loss. I believe in you, Sabres. I know you can do it."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be. Would the timeline make sense? He has disappeared for the marrone era, right?

I just searched his name and 2009 was the earliest post and the 2011 draft seems to be around the tail end. That is fitzs first season and last draft. I'm on mobile so it's not particularly conducive to digging around though.

Edited by NoSaint

So what's his connection to The Bills?

As a longtime, high count poster, can't tell if you're serious or not, but NGU was an insider posting inside info a few years back. Nice guy, but a bit mysterious (and almost always right on his inside stuff).

Ugh they still talking about Fitz...

Fitzpatrick said never give up, Dad, Leo said.

Yes but Fitzpatrick would also throw the game ending INT, so it didn't look like we were ever giving up son.

Edited by Beef Jerky

As a longtime, high count poster, can't tell if you're serious or not, but NGU was an insider posting inside info a few years back. Nice guy, but a bit mysterious (and almost always right on his inside stuff).

So are you saying NGU was Dave Seminara, or do you think it was actually Fitz??

You make the call....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/10/sports/hockey/a-sabres-fans-lament-they-cant-lose-them-all.html?_r=0

Check out the bottom:

"My sons, James, 5, and Leo, 7, have never lived in Buffalo, but they support the Bills and the Sabres. In 2011, Leo got an autographed football bearing the inscription Never Give Up from the former Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick

First of all great find. Coupled with Nosaints check up on his posting history, this seems to make sense. I wonder if a similar poster registered on the fan pages of the Titans, Texans message board in the subsequent years.

So are you saying NGU was Dave Seminara, or do you think it was actually Fitz??

I think he's implying fitz.

If someone REALLY a wanted to dig around it would likely not be hard to find something to prove it wrong (a gameday post for instance). But at first glance, the timeline does seem to fit his career here. I will say when I searched his name I clicked through a few posts and references to the Donahue regime etc.... made me pretty skeptical but as long as the search function on mobile pulled correctly the date ranges would be spot on what you'd expect for Fitz.

Registered December of 2009 (close of his first season) and the latest posts were in his final season. Never returned for draft insight the offseason fitz left.

That would be pretty awesome if it was Fitz the whole time.. quick, someone check his old posts and see if his sig mentioned something about going to Harvard! Dad he ever brag about posting while still wearing his wedding ring?

One of my favorite good-guy Bills players ever.

On a real note, I'm not saying it was him by any stretch, but if it was I'm conflicted on how Id feel about a starting QB coming to a fan message board to spill inside info, and take a few shots at the media and talk about other players. As a reader of the board it'd be interesting but as a fan of the team I probably wouldn't love it. I guess Id have to click through some history to have any strong feeling but in the hypothetical "what if our starting qb joined" it's a weird topic. Edited by NoSaint

Can someone summarize NGU's insider info?

I think it could most definitely be Fitzpatrick. The posting timeline is parallel with his Bills tenure.

He spilled names pre-draft and his short list was pretty much always dead on. Also some stuff like moving lynch, I recall him saying that if schobel didn't show for mini camp that the new regime would not keep him (would like a trade to get value but schobel would very possibly retire).... Etc... Most not ground breaking but VERY accurate in general and tended to be pretty early for the info before it gained traction.

You can search his name and thumb through the history.

Edited by NoSaint

Interesting clicking through a few of those older threads

1) this team and organization has come a long way since the jauron to chan transition. I really appreciate our current spot after reflecting.

2) nothing stands out as proving/disproving the theory. No obvious gameday posts, or anything like that has been stumbled across yet. Did notice an early March post saying sorry for being gone for a bit, I've been traveling. Which on a timeline would fit for an active player. Or could fit for any number of bills employees with scouting/combine work.

Edited by NoSaint

Interesting clicking through a few of those older threads

1) this team and organization has come a long way since the jauron to chan transition. I really appreciate our current spot after reflecting.

2) nothing stands out as proving/disproving the theory. No obvious gameday posts, or anything like that has been stumbled across yet. Did notice an early March post saying sorry for being gone for a bit, I've been traveling. Which on a timeline would fit for an active player. Or could fit for any number of bills employees with scouting/combine work.

I also seem to recall Fitz often taking vacations/trips post-season as a way to clear the head, but could be wrong.

My bro-in-law is an older Harvard football player ('85) and met Fitz and his family at a reunion tour of the football facilities in 2010. Said he seemed like a very nice and genuine guy, FWIW.

I think he's implying fitz.

If someone REALLY a wanted to dig around it would likely not be hard to find something to prove it wrong (a gameday post for instance). But at first glance, the timeline does seem to fit his career here. I will say when I searched his name I clicked through a few posts and references to the Donahue regime etc.... made me pretty skeptical but as long as the search function on mobile pulled correctly the date ranges would be spot on what you'd expect for Fitz.

Registered December of 2009 (close of his first season) and the latest posts were in his final season. Never returned for draft insight the offseason fitz left.

On a real note, I'm not saying it was him by any stretch, but if it was I'm conflicted on how Id feel about a starting QB coming to a fan message board to spill inside info, and take a few shots at the media and talk about other players. As a reader of the board it'd be interesting but as a fan of the team I probably wouldn't love it. I guess Id have to click through some history to have any strong feeling but in the hypothetical "what if our starting qb joined" it's a weird topic.

Not Fitzgibbons