All-22 Breakdown of EJ Manuel

Seems my hunch was not such a stretch after all. IMO, you’re clearly connected to either Marrone directly or someone who’s very close to Marrone.

IMO, you have an agenda against Doug Whaley and EJ Manuel.

Doug Marrone basically quit his job as an NFL head coach and landed as offensive coordinator with the Jacksonville Jaguars. That was the dumbest move in the history of NFL head coaches. He will never get a head coaching job again because there is no glossing over how stupid that looks on his resume. That wasn’t Whaley’s fault or Manuel’s fault it was Doug Marrone’s fault. He was a poser. A wannabe but never was. His quitting showed his true colors. He was a weak man who would rather jump ship to a higher profile job he thought he already had (the Jets, obviously) giving him three more years worth of posing, than to do the tough work of making the offensive line productive, developing the QB using his specific talents that he was drafted for, putting together inventive game plans that kept defenses guessing instead of knowing what they are going to run on every play. Orton’s production taking a nose dive after the first few games was a very ominous sign that Marrone was full of crap. That he was an amateur who didn’t know what he was doing. That he just wanted the adulation of a Bill Parcells without doing anything to deserve it.

How would someone associated with DM know about the Rex hire?

And yes, it's a stretch.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yes, it's a stretch.

The guy isn't associated with anyone. If my memory serves he claimed it was Whaley himself who texted him about Rex and now he thinks Whaley should be fired?

Uh, Yeah.

And yes, it's a stretch.

You can think what you want, IMO this poster has an agenda. I remember reading here that there are two guys still with the Bills organization who were hired during the Marrone regime. It's possible it's one of them. If one of them wishes Whaley were fired and wishes Marrone was still there because they love him so much, then this person really should either resign or the Bills should fire them. Talk about bad karma in the building. Again, this is all my opinion based on the history of this posters posts regarding the subject.

Anyone advocating that Marrone still be here has a hidden agenda. This poster is the only one with this wish out of how many members here? A guy who quit on the Bills and you still want him here? That's about as fishy as it gets.

Edited by 1billsfan

You can think what you want, IMO this poster has an agenda. I remember reading here that there are two guys still with the Bills organization who were hired during the Marrone regime. It's possible it's one of them. If one of them wishes Whaley were fired and wishes Marrone was still there because they love him so much, then this person really should either resign or the Bills should fire them. Talk about bad karma in the building. Again, this is all my opinion based on the history of this posters posts regarding the subject.

Anyone advocating that Marrone still be here has a hidden agenda. This poster is the only one with this wish out of how many members here? A guy who quit on the Bills and you still want him here? That's about as fishy as it gets.

Well Marrone lost his power play and Polian bailed. The alternative to the Whaley/Rex era was the Polian/Marrone era. I don't see advocating, more like supposing.

Does getting hired during the Marrone era make him infinitely loyal to the many, incapable of his own opinions? Come on. You think there's a guy in the FO, who is basically a Marrone puppet, and still has a job? Stretch beyond belief.

Furthermore, there are a few guys on this board who backed Marrone. Leroi can be one of them/think EJ sucks, AND have a source that tells him FO things. Just because Kirby hears things and likes Phil Rivers, doesn't mean his source loves Phil.

Well Marrone lost his power play and Polian bailed. The alternative to the Whaley/Rex era was the Polian/Marrone era. I don't see advocating, more like supposing.

Does getting hired during the Marrone era make him infinitely loyal to the many, incapable of his own opinions? Come on. You think there's a guy in the FO, who is basically a Marrone puppet, and still has a job? Stretch beyond belief.

Furthermore, there are a few guys on this board who backed Marrone. Leroi can be one of them/think EJ sucks, AND have a source that tells him FO things. Just because Kirby hears things and likes Phil Rivers, doesn't mean his source loves Phil.

"How much better would we be if..."

You're the one stretching it.

"How much better would we be if..."

You're the one stretching it.

And it's in regards to the QB position in particular. Anti-EJ does not equal a DM sycophant, and especially doesn't mean there's one in the FO. Edited by FireChan

And it's in regards to the QB position in particular. Anti-EJ does not equal a DM sycophant, and especially doesn't mean there's one in the FO.

He was talking about QB, Whaley and the head coaching position. Not just "the QB position in particular".

Find one other poster here wishing right now for Polian and Marrone over Whaley and Rex. I'll wait.

He was talking about QB, Whaley and the head coaching position. Not just "the QB position in particular".

Find one other poster here wishing right now for Polian and Marrone over Whaley and Rex. I'll wait.

Read the rest of his post. It's about how Whaley is settling with EJ. It's clear the subject is the QB.

Also, Rumblefish. Game over.

Edited by FireChan

Best Quarterback in the preseason starts period. Matt Cassell start at Home against the Panthers and EJ on the Road at Cleveland. Play them each a half, best QB wins. PERIOD!

It seems that the new coaching staff are not tied to any one of these QBs and are planning for an open competition. I would not leave Taylor out of the conversation either. To me, he is most similar to Kaepernick and he is my dark horse candidate to take the job. Either way, I do believe that Rex and Roman will be evaluating all 3 and picking the one that is best. I can't wait for July so we can see them on the field and get the evaluation started.

I stopped at the "EJ holds ball too long" video, which was more like "Cordy Glenn doesn't hold block long enough."

I disagree with this comment. Cordy actually blocked the guy exactly how he was supposed to, pushing him deep into the backfield, making the defender go deep into the back field than work his way back up. It's not Cordy's fault EJ backed up into the pass rush and held on too long. The play was designed to have the ball out of the QBs hands before the defender could get there. That definitely is on EJ in that video.

I disagree with this comment. Cordy actually blocked the guy exactly how he was supposed to, pushing him deep into the backfield, making the defender go deep into the back field than work his way back up. It's not Cordy's fault EJ backed up into the pass rush and held on too long. The play was designed to have the ball out of the QBs hands before the defender could get there. That definitely is on EJ in that video.

Watch it again. Glenn barely got a hand on him. He didn't block the rusher into the backfield - the end just ran around him.

How much better would we be if Polian was GM, Whaley was gone and Marrone accepted his contract extension?

Imo

with Schwartz : 8-8

without Schwartz : 6-10

any QB Polian brought in as a starter would have been forced to run Marrone and Hackett's offense, and there may not be a QB in the league who could have overcome their hit or miss approach of designing an effective NFL offense. I wish Marrone and Hackett well, but their finest moments were getting the Syracuse offense humming 3 years ago.

Everyone in the organization is now pulling in the same direction - designing an offense that complements the other units. one that is adaptive to the QB. Whaley has assembled skill postion players who are diverse and very talented. At the moment, Kromer seems to have the toughest task of all.. forging the spear that Roman will attack with. this is more important than the job Lee does with the QBs, because the QB effectiveness will be directly related to our ability to run the ball, and that's directly related to the job Kromer does. Considering the sense of urgency the team has shown in aquiring the necessary pieces this off-season, i have confidence that a plan's in place that will develop a productive O line.

so, no.. i can't imagine any scenario that includes Marrone and Hackett as Bills coaches as anything that remotely approaches the progress we've made in their absence

The major problem is the quality of QB. All three are below average.

Our GM has to do what it takes to get an above average starter in here.

We do not have time to waste

ah...sure...what do you suggest he do? Last I looked, other teams weren't handing out tickets to be redeemed for a free QB.

There's a paradox here. The comment "we do not have time to waste" suggests the opinion that our D and ST are very strong and give us a great chance to win if we have above-average QB play. The paradox is that the sure way to bring in an above-average QB is to acquire one by trade. That would require giving up one or more difference-making players, assuming such a QB is available (a big if because teams lucky enough to have an above average QB typically do not let him get away until they are confident in his replacement)

Whaley has done a good job bringing in the best of the available crop. That it isn't pretty, says more about the dearth of quality QB in the NFL right now, than it does about Whaley.

Whaley is on the hook for last year and he will be for this year, if/when this experiment fails.

New GM next year comes with a lot of changes. I want Whaley to succeed and it is fairly obvious he has settled.

Now the hypothetical;

How much better would we be if Polian was GM, Whaley was gone and Marrone accepted his contract extension?

Imo

It would be beyond stupid to fire Whaley after this season if we don't win immediately under a new HC, IMO. Setting up the same old futile cycle the Bills had for years.

With apologies to Taylor Swift, Polian was never, ever, ever going to be our GM. He might have brought in AJ Smith as a GM (that was reported as his intent). I personally would rather see a football smart, hard-working 43 year old who came from a franchise that had a winning record 8 out of the 10 yrs he was there, than another 66 year old retread who would have been brought back from retirement - a guy so brilliant he let Brees walk in favor of Rivers and managed 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years he was there. And if Marrone was offered a contract extension as an NFL HC and turned it down to become OL coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, he's a fool. We would clearly not be better off being coached by a fool.

So my answer to your hypothetical is we would in no way be better off.

LMO

Watch it again. Glenn barely got a hand on him. He didn't block the rusher into the backfield - the end just ran around him.

This, unfortunately.

Edited by Hopeful

The bottomline is that the future direction of this team on o is likely set with the personnel we have on the roster right now (the biggest possible exception would likely be if we chose a guard high in the upcoming draft who for some reason proved capable of starting as a rookie (and I do not see any Seantrel's- a rookie talent who drops in the draft and the Bills revive him but it is possible).

Its hard to imagine anything more in the rearview mirror than Merrone's legacy. If any former Merrone hire still with the Bills is focusing any of their time and attention on impossible woulda/coulda/shouldas about DM it likely is sooner rather than later they are done on this Bills team in terms of what is happening on the field, what fans are worrying about and likely even what the media is talking about.

The key pieces of good news about the Bills are:

1. The Bills had some significant O weapons last year, but nothing that kept an opposing DC up late trying to figure out a scheme that would support players who cannot realistically be asked to simply step up their individual play to always watch Watkins or devote special attention to Spiller on some plays. The talented but still about rookie level Manual, the .500 over his career Orton or Tuel needed work only to figure out how to exploit them not live in fear of them.

As far as QB it is the same this year, but frankly if you care about the Bills who QBs them is a secondary (in fact tertiary concern because:

A. Second year Watkins comes off one of the most productive seasons ever for a Bills rookie WR and actually did this while playing through some painful injuries and mediocre QB play (2 of 4 games with EJ and at least half the time w/ Orton). As a second year he should be better (one wonders about the numerous injuries but he played through them and was productive last year. so I am not worried about this unless he loses more PT). However, this potential gamebreaker is joined by:

B. Harvin. This mercurial blinding talent simply demands a dt. If one consistently singles him chalk up one or 2 TDS. Combining him Watkins whose speed and hands demand an over/under dt then the Bills will simply see a lot of zone in 15 which means:

C. Edwards entering his third year has shown great precise route running with youngster and average vet QB play at best. Even with a still inadequate though marginally improved as a third year vet QB, Edwards is the player who I think might benefit most from Watkins/Harvin forcing opposing DCs to put at least 3 or their top CBs on W/H. I think the first relatively simple reads by any Bills QB be it Manual/Cassel/whatever is gonna be whether in 3 WR sets with W/H split wide is Edwards singled. A simple pick play by the TE or a cross with a wideout leaves a simple throw to Edwards.

D. The addition of pass catching talent but still capable blocker Clay adds another threat that either gets an LB (Clay runs a fly) or a safety (Clay gets an inside throw and muscle's a late closing safety and tries to make him miss. Even worse, the DC cheats the safety toward themiddle and now either W or H gets singled on a fly or stop/go.

E. To make things totally sick for the opposing DC, Bills OC Roman's rep is actually pound and ground and he gets the NFL 2013 rushing champ McCoy backed up by proven #1 level RB Jax as his back-up.

If he gives the Bills the 8 in the box demanded by this ground and pound he gets killed by passing, if he dts then the run shreds him.

I think he Bills and Ryan are totally correct in the open battle of three QBs and let the best man win Because the best man does not to be a good QB to make this O effective.