Cities in jeopardy of losing their teams

This may not be the place for this thread and if it isn't feel free to move it. St. Louis, Oakland and San Diego are all in jeopardy of losing their teams. No one can relate to those threats better than us. I just started thinking is there anything that we can do to help support these fan bases? I have no idea what that means but I know that I always appreciated the support from others. We should return the favor in whatever ways we can. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them. I'm not sure that we can make much (if any) of a difference but we should do what we can nonetheless. We were able to do a lot (thanks to Chevy) with Talley. Social media is a powerful platform.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may not be the place for this thread and if it isn't feel free to move it. St. Louis, Oakland and San Diego are all in jeopardy of losing their teams. No one can relate to those threats better than us. I just started thinking is there anything that we can do to help support these fan bases? I have no idea what that means but I know that I always appreciated the support from others. We should return the favor in whatever ways we can. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them. I'm not sure that we can make much (if any) of a difference but we should do what we can nonetheless. We were able to do a lot (thanks to Chevy) with Talley. Social media is a powerful platform.

Hi Kirby,

I read your title and thought how grateful I am to RCW, "crazy like a fox" in the way he maneuvered to keep the team here, right under everyone's nose.

As far as St Louis goes, I do know some fans who would disagree but by and large IMO there is not a strong fan base for football here. It's a huge baseball town and pretty strong for hockey, but the Rams are a relatively recent import and just haven't built the same loyalty base. It's sort of like playing in Toronto, they had to hand out instructions for how to cheer at a football game a few years back (I'm not joking). Of course, when the team was winning everyone was on the bandwagon but when the losing years started they all dropped off.

Hi Kirby,

I read your title and thought how grateful I am to RCW, "crazy like a fox" in the way he maneuvered to keep the team here, right under everyone's nose.

As far as St Louis goes, I do know some fans who would disagree but by and large IMO there is not a strong fan base for football here. It's a huge baseball town and pretty strong for hockey, but the Rams are a relatively recent import and just haven't built the same loyalty base. It's sort of like playing in Toronto, they had to hand out instructions for how to cheer at a football game a few years back (I'm not joking). Of course, when the team was winning everyone was on the bandwagon but when the losing years started they all dropped off.

San Diego is the one that really jumps out to me. The franchise has been there a long time and has some tradition.

St. Louis and Oakland are both kind of transient in that they have had teams, lost them and got them again. I guess that I just empathize with the people that do care because we went through about 20 years of relocation threats.

The latest I've heard is Chargers and Rams to LA and the Raiders to St. Louis.

If that's what happens, I don't think it's all that bad. The Chargers would be up the road a couple of hours and season ticket holders could still likely stay with the team. Plus it's beautiful year round in San Diego, given most of the city is transplants, I don't think it's too heartbreaking.

As far as Oakland football fans go, they do have the 49ers right across the bay in a brand new stadium.

If St Louis does land the Raiders, I think that will be an upgrade for that market. They've got a rivalry with the Chiefs already and St Louis vs KC in football could get pretty intense.

Those moves would make the NFC West better with the Rams being more natural geographical rivals with the 49ers and Cardinals.

I think at times it's tough for fans of a franchise that's such a part of the community like the Bills are to understand some different markets. So much of the markets in the west and south are transplant fans who tend to be older and have ingrained fandoms from other teams. I think there's good to be gained from some franchise movement.

I think the SD/LA situation is similar to the Buffalo/Toronto situation. SD does have loyal fan support but about 20 percent of their fans are actually in LA and come to the games in SD. They successfully regionalized to be SoCal's NFL team. The problem isn't fan support its the lack of corporations HQ in SD to buy the suites and boxes to help pay for the stadium. The state won't give money, the taxpayers won't vote to pay for it with tax money and the owner in SD won't privately fund. There are plenty of corporations in LA who will buy the suites and they do plan to share it with Oakland. I don't even think they care about attendance, it's all about the corporations. But while it may not technically be far from SD, the traffic makes it very hard even in Carson. I feel bad for Chargers fans.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think the SD/LA situation is similar to the Buffalo/Toronto situation. SD does have loyal fan support but about 20 percent of their fans are actually in LA and come to the games in SD. They successfully regionalized to be SoCal's NFL team. The problem isn't fan support its the lack of corporations HQ in SD to buy the suites and boxes to help pay for the stadium. The state won't give money, the taxpayers won't vote to pay for it with tax money and the owner in SD won't privately fund. There are plenty of corporations in LA who will buy the suites and they do plan to share it with Oakland. I don't even think they care about attendance, it's all about the corporations. But while it may not technically be far from SD, the traffic makes it very hard even in Carson. I feel bad for Chargers fans.

Well said YOLO!! I kept thinking of the Buffalo/Toronto comparison.

I don't relate to those places. The Bills never had an owner who seriously considered moving the team. These teams all move for new stadiums. Ralph's demands were always met. He was never going anywhere with the Bills.

Totally different in St. Louis. Stan the Man has already built the land for his LA stadium.

I think the Chargers were in LA for just a year before moving to San Diego. Not a lot of time for a new team in a second class league (at the time) to develop support.

The Rams were stolen from Cleveland when they were in LA the first time. Then stolen and moved to St Louis.

The Raiders should share the 49ers stadium. It is insane for Oakland to even partially pay for another stadium when there is another so close. The current Raiders stadium is probably the worst in the NFL. The Raiders deserve a better place to play but there is a perfectly fine place to play no further than Orchard Park is to Niagara Falls - 45 min by car.

The Raiders should share the 49ers stadium. It is insane for Oakland to even partially pay for another stadium when there is another so close. The current Raiders stadium is probably the worst in the NFL. The Raiders deserve a better place to play but there is a perfectly fine place to play no further than Orchard Park is to Niagara Falls - 45 min by car.

You can blame Mark Davis... He said he doesn't want his team to be "renters" in another teams stadium.

The latest I've heard is Chargers and Rams to LA and the Raiders to St. Louis.

If that's what happens, I don't think it's all that bad. The Chargers would be up the road a couple of hours and season ticket holders could still likely stay with the team. Plus it's beautiful year round in San Diego, given most of the city is transplants, I don't think it's too heartbreaking.

As far as Oakland football fans go, they do have the 49ers right across the bay in a brand new stadium.

If St Louis does land the Raiders, I think that will be an upgrade for that market. They've got a rivalry with the Chiefs already and St Louis vs KC in football could get pretty intense.

Those moves would make the NFC West better with the Rams being more natural geographical rivals with the 49ers and Cardinals.

I think at times it's tough for fans of a franchise that's such a part of the community like the Bills are to understand some different markets. So much of the markets in the west and south are transplant fans who tend to be older and have ingrained fandoms from other teams. I think there's good to be gained from some franchise movement.

This would seem the most fair if they insist on LA having 2 teams

Kroenke has the money to do it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Champions_Stadium

Edited by ALF

I say give them back the Cardinals.

As an old St. Louis Football Cardinals fan, I would love nothing more. Unfortunately the Cardinals are a twice stolen team. They originally were the Chicago Cardinals.

The Bidwills are the most dysfunctional NFL family ever!

Edited by Show Me The Baby

The sad thing is LA has already lost two teams so to have these fans lose their team from other cities like San Diego, Oakland, and St. Louis is sinful. Ultimately, owners can do what they want as it is their company and I don't believe in over legislation.

It just stinks as history will repeat itself, and after a first couple of years of possible success, it will go back to the past with low attending stadiums, etc.