Grade Whaley's Job Performance So Far  

265 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Whaley's Job Performance So Far

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's a glaring hole on our roster that has not been addressed so unfortunately that falls on Whaley. It was a swing and a miss on EJ it seems. Meanwhile, Derek Carr looks good, Bridgwater looks good, Bradford was traded, Winston and Mariota look good, Cutler is apparently available. I think what killed us was losing that first round pick this year. That would have given us the ammo to make something happen.

Those guys are franchise QBs?

Well, that's news.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B- because of the money we spent and the risks we spent them on. Except Incognito, due to how cheap he came. I just don't want to have a cap situation like dallas did a couple years back.

It's a glaring hole on our roster that has not been addressed so unfortunately that falls on Whaley. It was a swing and a miss on EJ it seems. Meanwhile, Derek Carr looks good, Bridgwater looks good, Bradford was traded, Winston and Mariota look good, Cutler is apparently available. I think what killed us was losing that first round pick this year. That would have given us the ammo to make something happen.

I agree with your sentiment that regardless of what was available that it falls on Whaley. However, two guys who have never played in the NFL? If you think losing the pick last year is a problem, it would be well over giving up two additional firsts to swap picks from 19. Again, for two guys who haven't played a down in the NFL. Cutler...wtf..

Pretty simple question, how do you think he's performed so far in building a team?

Lots of debate on the quality of his moves in general, so let's hear what your grade is, and why.

I'm giving him a B so far.

We have, what could arguably be the best defense in the league on paper. We have lots of young talent at key positions on Offense. YET, we have a major hole at QB, and our OL is weak. Quite possibly the most important positions in the NFL.

That being said, finding a top 5 QB is easier said than done... so I can't fault him *too* much on that, considering who has been available to us the last couple years. But I can fault him for a weak OL.

Anyone giving anything lower than a B is delusional and needs their head examined. IMO its an easy A. He's assembled in the last couple years literally one of the most talented rosters from top to bottom in the entire league. People want to ding him for the QB position, but they carefully leave out that since he's been the head here in Buffalo that no good Vets and no high level QB prospects have been available. He can't manufacture a QB out of thin air like Frankenstein. We can't draft whats not there to draft or not available for us to draft...and we can't trade for or sign quality veteran QBs that aren't available.

I think he's become one of the best GMs in football and I honestly don't know that there is anyone else I would want right now. He's aggressive, creative, and has found tremendous value over and over again.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I agree with your sentiment that regardless of what was available that it falls on Whaley. However, two guys who have never played in the NFL? If you think losing the pick last year is a problem, it would be well over giving up two additional firsts to swap picks from 19. Again, for two guys who haven't played a down in the NFL. Cutler...wtf..

Still better than anyone we have unfortunately. Cassel and EJ and Tyrod Taylor are wtf's as well lol

Anyone giving anything lower than a B is delusional and needs their head examined. IMO its an easy A. He's assembled in the last couple years literally one of the most talented rosters from top to bottom in the entire league. People want to ding him for the QB position, but they carefully leave out that since he's been the head here in Buffalo that no good Vets and no high level QB prospects have been available. He can't manufacture a QB out of thin air like Frankenstein. We can't draft whats not there to draft or not available for us to draft...and we can't trade for or sign quality veteran QBs that aren't available.

I think he's become one of the best GMs in football and I honestly don't know that there is anyone else I would want right now. He's aggressive, creative, and has found tremendous value over and over again.

+1 People who complain about that position either a) have no answer for what could have been done, or b) bring up players drafted before Whaley was running the show.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

A. Means he found a QB, obviously he didn't.

B. Means we went to the playoffs finally, still haven't.

C. Means he has done a good enough job to retain talent needed and adding other talent. Giving a team a chance at a future.

A - what did you want him to do at quarterback, your not being realistic. What has anyone done in recent memory not named the Colts and draft Luck? Russell Wilson ya everyone knew he would be great (if you feel that way) so everyone passed on him twice most three times before Seattle picked him.

Incomplete.

I'm worried about how they're throwing money around on contracts. Why give McCoy such a cap-unfriendly extension, for example? I like Clay but they paid too much, IMHO.

Didn't like the Watkins trade, though I certainly like Watkins, but I'd much rather have gone for the #2 or #3 WR and had this year's #1, and yes I thought and said that at the time.

I like that that they say they're going to be like Green Bay in free agency next year. IMHO they should have been more like Green Bay this year and used the money to re-sign to contracts guys like Dareus and Gilmore ... this year, not next.

Teams that are successful generally build around the draft. They fill in with low- and mid-priced FAs. We appear to be moving away from that blueprint. The roster appears good, but often teams that spend a lot in FA discover that those guys don't mesh so well with the system.

Hope I'm wrong about this, and of course it's too early to really grade a GM in his second calendar year, so INCOMPLETE. Hopeful but not yet confident.

+1 People who complain about that position either a) have no answer for what could have been done, or b) bring up players drafted before Whaley was running the show.

Or bring up Bridgewater or Carr.

There have been guys available since Whaley took over who look quite promising.

Agreed that you can't put the onus on Whaley for any drafts before last year's, but there have been an option or two since.

Pretty simple question, how do you think he's performed so far in building a team?

Lots of debate on the quality of his moves in general, so let's hear what your grade is, and why.

I'm giving him a B so far.

We have, what could arguably be the best defense in the league on paper. We have lots of young talent at key positions on Offense. YET, we have a major hole at QB, and our OL is weak. Quite possibly the most important positions in the NFL.

That being said, finding a top 5 QB is easier said than done... so I can't fault him *too* much on that, considering who has been available to us the last couple years. But I can fault him for a weak OL.

I said "B". Defense is great. Good eye for DB and LB talent. Good eye for WR. Has brought in good offensive FA (exception below)

He inherited a sucky QB situation from Nix, needed to give EJ some time, and has done a reasonable job bringing in stopgap vets.

The ability to scout QB talent at the college level and scout/sign OL talent at the professional and college levels are the big "Q" IMO that bring him down to a "B" right now since both are so critical to a football team's success.

A - what did you want him to do at quarterback, your not being realistic. What has anyone done in recent memory not named the Colts and draft Luck? Russell Wilson ya everyone knew he would be great (if you feel that way) so everyone passed on him twice most three times before Seattle picked him.

You still didn't explain anything... I don't care if you don't like the way I grade a GM. I am not here to throw out A's for effort...

Incomplete.

I'm worried about how they're throwing money around on contracts. Why give McCoy such a cap-unfriendly extension, for example? I like Clay but they paid too much, IMHO.

Didn't like the Watkins trade, though I certainly like Watkins, but I'd much rather have gone for the #2 or #3 WR and had this year's #1, and yes I thought and said that at the time.

I like that that they say they're going to be like Green Bay in free agency next year. IMHO they should have been more like Green Bay this year and used the money to re-sign to contracts guys like Dareus and Gilmore ... this year, not next.

Teams that are successful generally build around the draft. They fill in with low- and mid-priced FAs. We appear to be moving away from that blueprint. The roster appears good, but often teams that spend a lot in FA discover that those guys don't mesh so well with the system.

Hope I'm wrong about this, and of course it's too early to really grade a GM in his second calendar year, so INCOMPLETE. Hopeful but not yet confident.

Or bring up Bridgewater or Carr.

There have been guys available since Whaley took over who look quite promising.

Agreed that you can't put the onus on Whaley for any drafts before last year's, but there have been an option or two since.

Bridgewater and Carr's ceiling are a matter of opinion, not fact. By the usual TBD yardstick of wins and losses they are both busts. I can only imagine the howls to replace those two if they were Bills.

Bridgewater and Carr's ceiling are a matter of opinion, not fact. By the usual TBD yardstick of wins and losses they are both busts. I can only imagine the howls to replace those two if they were Bills.

Yes, 21 TD's as a rookie on the Raiders is a bust season. As usual, you're off the mark because they aren't Bills.

While I feel that Whaley has a keen eye for defensive talent. I also feel he is somewhat blind for offensive talent. Looking at EJ, and last years line picks leaves some doubt in my mind about the teams ability to judge offensive talent.

Ex Bills GM Bill Polian stated that if he had been hired as the football czar he would have brought in ex Chargers GM AJ Smith. So I suppose that would have left both Whaley out as GM, and Brandon back in strictly the financial side of things. Not everyone outside of the Bills bubble think that the Watkins trade was a smart move if you don't have that franchise QB.

The most important position on the field by far is the QB, and if you don't have that franchise guy then everything else is secondary. The franchise QB trumps every other position. I dunno, perhaps Polian thought Smith would help finding that QB.

It might have been good intentions to sign Saints OG Jahri Evans, and Packers RT Bryan Bulaga, and after failing to obtain those targets Whaley just gave up! We all know what the road to hell is paved with. The team still needs two quality O linemen, and now its going on three years in replacing Levitre.

Anyway, You are what your record says you are 15-17. A grade of C for now, and we will see at the end of the 2015 season if that grade should be higher or lower. JMO

He gets an "A" without hesitation. All the guy has done sense he has been here is build on our talent pool. The talent he has collected is as good as any in the NFL. How long have we been waiting to turn things around? Whaley goes after it, he finds good draft picks, free agents and does a solid job and finding quality players throughout the season. He has hired the best coach and staff since the Marv Levy days. I know he wants a QB bad like we all do and I am sure he is working every angle to get one. It is a tough find with so few good ones out there but I am fully confident if EJ or Taylor don't emerge this season he will get a winning QB in a Bills uniform very soon. The offensive line will most likely be addressed again in this years draft. I wouldn't want any other GM in the league. When we finally settle on a QB this team will be among the best in the NFL. I am not drinking the kool-aid, it is obvious we are stacked and ready to win...

Reading some of these responses about how he deserves an A or nothing less than a B is mind-boggling.

Perhaps a better question would be, who on this roster do you give Whaley credit for adding?

Curious to hear from those that voted D/F, and their reasoning.

I assume it's the QB position.

Giving him an F is a bit much. He's done some good things. And finding a QB is predominantly circumstance and/or luck.

But I guess it all depends on when you think he took over from Buddy. The funny thing is, people like to give him credit for Kiko and Robert Woods but blame Nix for EJ.

Curious to hear from those that voted D/F, and their reasoning.

I assume it's the QB position.

Not sure you'll hear from them anytime soon. They're likely busy sitting in a boat, drifting slowly, whilst their fishing lines trail behind.

Reading some of these responses about how he deserves an A or nothing less than a B is mind-boggling.

Perhaps a better question would be, who on this roster do you give Whaley credit for adding?

Giving him an F is a bit much. He's done some good things. And finding a QB is predominantly circumstance and/or luck.

But I guess it all depends on when you think he took over from Buddy. The funny thing is, people like to give him credit for Kiko and Robert Woods but blame Nix for EJ.

Huh? They were taken in the same draft... who is saying that?

But even then, I'm ok with going back further to see Whaley's impact on the roster. He's been in the trenches so to speak for a while.