Article: Quit Sleeping on EJ Manuel

I think that Flacco threw two of those picks in their AFCCG loss. I disagree that 4 playoff eliminations cast any doubt your first four years in the league. Are you going to "doubt" Luck if they don't win the SB next year? Brady got eliminated a bunch of times before winning his 4th Superbowl. Same with Brees etc etc.

Joe had an above average to really good second year, and won another playoff game. He (and the Ravens) kicked the crap out of the Pats who were only 2 years removed from the almost undefeated team. Flacco has had some lows, no doubt, but he was above average from day one. He has the best playoff record in the NFL since his rookie year. He has only missed the post season once, which appears to be an anomaly. He deserved that contract. I would be calling EJ our franchise guy if he had a year one and year two like Flacco, and 99% of Bills fans would agree.

I think it's fair to say that 99% of rational Bills fans would also agree that if the Bills defense showed up in his rookie year and if Doug Marrone had never shown up at all, that EJ's results would have likely been different.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think you know I'm not one of those people even though my homer factor makes me expect more from Taylor than most. I see a lot of the opposite here as well too. Taylor is just here to compete with Tuel, is a nobody, and hasn't done anything. It seems there a lot of the people here who think 14 games is too few to judge EJ, but 35 pass attempts (which came at the end of games where he came in cold) are enough to relegate Taylor to the practice squad (not picking on you here, just a general observation). Again, I think at least one of the young guys will step up, and Cassel is a last resort insurance policy.

It's a good question, because practice squad rules make me crazy, but I don't think Taylor can be "relegated to the practice squad"? He's been in the league too long and active for too many games (14), I believe. No, I'm not saying 35 passes is enough to judge Taylor - especially not knowing the details, who was he playing with, what were the instructions he went in with, etc.

I actually think that Cassel is the default starter with the gauntlet thrown down to the young guys to prove they're better - sort of like Flynn for Seattle in 2012.

It's a good question, because practice squad rules make me crazy, but I don't think Taylor can be "relegated to the practice squad"? He's been in the league too long and active for too many games (14), I believe. No, I'm not saying 35 passes is enough to judge Taylor - especially not knowing the details, who was he playing with, what were the instructions he went in with, etc.

I actually think that Cassel is the default starter with the gauntlet thrown down to the young guys to prove they're better - sort of like Flynn for Seattle in 2012.

Yeah, he's not PS eligible, but considering the Broncos offered him more than us it'd be silly to put him there even if he was eligible haha. Honestly, I'm just excited to see what happens in camp, and even voluntary workouts in 4 days!

Curious about the factual basis for your belief, if any

Cassel is a career mediocre QB who has had 2 successful years with playoff-quality teams. If you look at game logs, he is inconsistent - one game >70% completions, another <40%. Overall he averages 58.9% completions in his 10 year career, even with two seasons >60%.

Taylor has thrown 35 passes in the NFL for 54% completion. You might think being kept as a backup to Flacco for 4 years says something, but then again, how long did we keep Hamdan?

I'm not saying EJ is great, just wondering how someone looks at the roster and concludes EJ is 3rd.

Or Ej is 2nd or 1st. Camp and preseason will decide the order as it should be. The only tie left to EJ's draft is Whaley so there should not be much bias involved in the decision. I just hope whoever comes out on top turns out to be a competent game manager.

Ej is the guy you want to be your starting qb....nice, well spoken, hard working etc. I think we may actually have a coach that can max out his ability and get him developed. Need that o line protection and give him that extra second to get some momentum in his game. He has show some poise and ability to run a comeback. I'm a bit nervous about it though.

Not sleeping just he needs to win the competition now...

Yeah! I'm really rooting for him to take command of the offense and show he can play and be a leader on this team. If that happens, if the light goes on and things start to click, then I believe the Bills will have a real chance this season.

Ej is the guy you want to be your starting qb....nice, well spoken, hard working etc. I think we may actually have a coach that can max out his ability and get him developed. Need that o line protection and give him that extra second to get some momentum in his game. He has show some poise and ability to run a comeback. I'm a bit nervous about it though.

Just curious, if nice, well spoken, and hard working are your main criteria how do you know Taylor and Cassel aren't all of those as well?

I do like the part where they look at the Raiders, Titans, Jags, Vikings and Bills QB stats blind and it turns out that EJ is right in the middle of the pack of those young developmental players with so much promise that we should have taken a flyer on/traded for because EJ obviously sucks.

What an article.

Where Manuel Needs To Improve

-Accuracy

-Pocket Presence

-Decision Making/Progressions

-Staying Healthy

If it was only so easy.

Accuracy is the big one. If a QB can't do that, no matter how good his other skills might be, he won't succeed.

Though optimistic, I have a wait and see attitude about how we are going to be successful running the ball and throwing screens and slants all day. An argument can be made that the biggest problem this offense has had is the inability to stretch the field. Runs and short passes leave your offense easier to defend because it is one dimensional. That kind of game plan relies heavily on the line's ability to open holes in the run game even against defenses geared to stop the run. That is difficult to do with a top notch line and however our line might improve, I have my doubts that we are going to go from the bottom of the league in run blocking to the top due to Richie Incognito, the only real change to last year's line made so far.

With Rex and the aggressive offseason we have had, its hard not to be optimistic. The offseason isn't over, the draft is still ahead of us and we do have some young talent on the line with potential. Never mind for now the old saw about how "potential will get you fired". The offensive talent may simply have reached a critical mass of talent. Mediocrity at one or two line positions might not mean all that much with all the talent at the skill positions. Its not as if every decent OL in the league has all stars at every position.

Of our three candidates for starting QB, I will support whichever one bangs Giselle Bundchen and posts a Vine of it online.

We need to send a message to Brady and Patriots.

And if it's Tyrod or EJ who performs this deed and Giselle "can't go back" to Brady, all the better.

We'd be the talk of the NFL and I'd have to think the roster would be galvanized and back this display of leadership. Free agents would flock to sign here.

I think that Flacco threw two of those picks in their AFCCG loss. I disagree that 4 playoff eliminations cast any doubt your first four years in the league. Are you going to "doubt" Luck if they don't win the SB next year? Brady got eliminated a bunch of times before winning his 4th Superbowl. Same with Brees etc etc.

Joe had an above average to really good second year, and won another playoff game. He (and the Ravens) kicked the crap out of the Pats who were only 2 years removed from the almost undefeated team. Flacco has had some lows, no doubt, but he was above average from day one. He has the best playoff record in the NFL since his rookie year. He has only missed the post season once, which appears to be an anomaly. He deserved that contract. I would be calling EJ our franchise guy if he had a year one and year two like Flacco, and 99% of Bills fans would agree.

Complete BS. 14 tds and 12 ints and an 80 qb rating is not above average. Because if that is true, EJ Manuel was an above average QB his rookie year too.

Just curious, if nice, well spoken, and hard working are your main criteria how do you know Taylor and Cassel aren't all of those as well?

Cassel is absolutely the worst case scenario for this team. Guys don't bounce around to 4 teams (see Orton and Fitz) if they are legit NFL starting QBs.

You can always switch to Cassel. But to start the season with a guy with average skills and a losing record over 10 years in the NFL is depressing. To try and dethorne the PAts with Matt Cassel just kinda sucks.

Complete BS. 14 tds and 12 ints and an 80 qb rating is not above average. Because if that is true, EJ Manuel was an above average QB his rookie year too.

Cassel is absolutely the worst case scenario for this team. Guys don't bounce around to 4 teams (see Orton and Fitz) if they are legit NFL starting QBs.

You can always switch to Cassel. But to start the season with a guy with average skills and a losing record over 10 years in the NFL is depressing. To try and dethorne the PAts with Matt Cassel just kinda sucks.

EJ had a decent rookie year. I never said otherwise.

Because his second year was worse than his rookie year. He went from decent to terrible. With a year of experience.

he was 2-2 and only played 1/4 of his second year, to be fair. He had 10 games of experience, not a year. He looked worse in 2 of the games, but we don't know what would have happened if he played. I agreed with the benching at the time, I understand why marrone did it. But it's still unknown what his second year would have been like.

You know, 15 years of no playoffs may have warped me, but I'm about where I could care less about nice or well spoken. Give me a hard working jerk-head who can make quick reads and deliver the ball accurately on Sunday from September on. If he has to get in his WR grills to make it so, So Be It.

Of our three candidates for starting QB, I will support whichever one bangs Giselle Bundchen and posts a Vine of it online.

Sir! Sir! the thread title "quit sleeping on EJ"?

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Because his second year was worse than his rookie year. He went from decent to terrible. With a year of experience.

Again, a lot of offensive players regressed. People wanted Tannehill benched after the Bills game. Kyle Orton had basically the same QBR that EJ did as a rookie. The problem was bigger than EJ.

And franchise QB Flcco had a worse game than EJ did against the Texans.