Peter King: Jahri Evans still on block(update:signed ext.)

Not sure I'd characterize next year as being in "solid shape".

After looking through the numbers and who we have to re-sign, there are either going to have to be some tough choices meaning we may have to lose a key contributor or some very creative restructuring of existing contracts in order to just retain our own players. And forget about adding any significant new FA's, just not gonna happen, not if we retain all the key players.

well magox, all i can say is welcome to being an nfl fan. i know we arent used to seeing this front office actually push the boundaries but its a good problem to have so many good players that you might lose a couple along the way. id rather it happen with 100% spending than at 90% spending.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didn't look at all the links but Dareus is 8m against the cap this year with the option year, right? So I'm assuming that number rolls into whatever he will be at next year with the new deal, not on top of it. So that's good.

Dareus isn't included in 2016 numbers on either site. They would wait for his option to be picked up before adding it.

Guess the NFL has suspended the salary cap

I thought we had about 5.25m under the cap and Evans had an 8M cap figure. We still have to resign Darius and the rookies. Were exactly is the cap money coming from?

Guess the NFL has suspended the salary cap

I thought we had about 5.25m under the cap and Evans had an 8M cap figure. We still have to resign Darius and the rookies. Were exactly is the cap money coming from?

It's really not that difficult. You can extend Cassel to lower his cap hit, cut Chris Williams post June 1st and open another $3M. You can extend Evans and change his cap hit. You can restructure Mario (I think that they will wait until next year for this). There are PLENTY of options if you want Evans.

It's really not that difficult. You can extend Cassel to lower his cap hit, cut Chris Williams post June 1st and open another $3M. You can extend Evans and change his cap hit. You can restructure Mario (I think that they will wait until next year for this). There are PLENTY of options if you want Evans.

Whaley wants him i think. Right now Whaley is focusing it sounds like on try to finalize the Dareus deal. I honestly think that has direct implications on being able to sign Evans.

I gotta believe Whaley has the mindset of if Evans is there after Dareus is signed and we can make the numbers work, we will go get him. Time is only helping Buffalo right now.

Whaley wants him i think. Right now Whaley is focusing it sounds like on try to finalize the Dareus deal. I honestly think that has direct implications on being able to sign Evans.

I gotta believe Whaley has the mindset of if Evans is there after Dareus is signed and we can make the numbers work, we will go get him. Time is only helping Buffalo right now.

there may be some truth to that. i think whaley, kromer, and monos would all be interested if things line up properly.

Good thoughts here; that may very well be the case.

I believe that yes, they do have to account for those dollars, but that they can distribute them over the length of the new deal. Not really sure...we need Overdorf!

No, once actual money(cash) has been paid in a contract, its cap implications are then set and cannot be maneuvered or reallocated.

The Cowboy's Witten is an example of this: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jason-witten/

You can see in the Spotrac link that his original amortized SB stays fixed and there is an additional 2013 amortized restructure bonus.

Edited by Dibs

No, once actual money(cash) has been paid in a contract, its cap implications are then set and cannot be maneuvered or reallocated.

The Cowboy's Witten is an example of this: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jason-witten/

You can see in the Spotrac link that his original amortized SB stays fixed and there is an additional 2013 amortized restructure bonus.

i was going to try to think of a good example, and spaced on coming back to it. thanks for grabbing one.

The bills might be spending all this money now with the intention of drafting well and not spending so much later on........keeping them away from Saints territory.

oh and

We dont have a 20 million dollar franchise QB eating up a ton of space like the Saints do.

Which is why I see the bills drafting "their guy" at QB either this year or next......because you can play them on a rookie contract for a while (and when you think about it a 2nd round pick of a QB would be very cheap)

If they do the Marcel deal.....bring in Evans.....they might go QB with that 2nd round pick

Edited by John from Hemet

I really wanted a free agent guard, but, the more I think about it the more I think we wait until they get cut or draft one. We just aren't going to spend that kind of money on a guard on the downslope. If Evans is a cap casualty we pick him up. Otherwise we roll the dice in the draft.

The $8M Yolo is talking about is Dareus' option year...he's an UFA after this season unless he's signed before then.

I know. I thought Yolo was asking if the 2016 spending totals included in the figures we've been talking about included the option for Dareus. I was just answering that question. (They don't.)

I know. I thought Yolo was asking if the 2016 spending totals included in the figures we've been talking about included the option for Dareus. I was just answering that question. (They don't.)

that makes sense that it wouldn't. I hope they extend him soon.

Jahri Evans is coming off of his worst pro season IMO. With that being said I would do that in a second. The Bills need a veteran offensive lineman and would be fortunate to have one with the talent of Evans.

I'd give up a late round pick. I think you may have a better off drafting someone @ 50 then trading for this guy.

I'd give up a late round pick. I think you may have a better off drafting someone @ 50 then trading for this guy.

Tbh, I would do both. There isn't anything more critical to this team's success this year, absent being able to acquire a great franchise qb, than having a top notch OL. Edited by YoloinOhio