Best & Worst offseason moves for Bills

Best & Worst offseason moves for Bills  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite offseason move so far?

• Hiring of Rex Ryan as HC
    • Hiring of Greg Roman as OC
    • Signing OG Richie Incognito
    • Trading Kiko for Shady McCoy
    • Trading for QB Matt Cassel
    • Re-signing Jerry Hughes
    • Re-signing role players like Easley and Wynn
    • Signing WR Percy Harvin
    • Signing FB Jerome Felton
    • Signing TE Charles Clay
    • Signing QB Tyrod Taylor
    • None - I hate them all because... QB
  2. 2. What is your least favorite offseason move so far?

• Hiring of Rex Ryan as HC
    • Hiring of Greg Roman as OC
    • Signing OG Richie Incognito
    • Trading Kiko for Shady McCoy
    • Trading for QB Matt Cassel
    • Re-signing Jerry Hughes
    • Re-signing role players like Easley and Wynn
    • Signing WR Percy Harvin
    • Signing FB Jerome Felton
    • Signing TE Charles Clay
    • Signing QB Tyrod Taylor
    • None - I like them all

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I choose Bulaga taking less money to stay in Green Bay as my least favorites?

Hmmm you will need to choose that in the best moves by the Packers poll. :lol:

love them all is strong but none are bad.

changed to "like" so you don't feel so extreme with the :wub:

Any chance you can add cuts/letting players go to least favorites? Like not re-signing Searcy or cutting Chandler?

Also, my best move is Tyrod, because I believe he will pan out. And if we wind up with a serviceable athletic QB for Roman's offense it is definitely the biggest piece to the puzzle IMO.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Any chance you can add cuts/letting players go to least favorites? Like not re-signing Searcy or cutting Chandler?

I thought about that but I think choosing "not" to sign guys is a non-move instead of a move. Cutting Chandler could be a move.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Our failure to significantly improve the O-line (with the possible exception of Incognito) inspired me to vote for the signing of Felton as my favorite move. So, my vote for "favorite move," was really more like a vote for "least favorite."

As far as least favorite move, I wonder why so many bemoan the signing of Cassel? I think we all feel that we needed a vet on the team, and Cassel is certainly that. So, why hold that move in lower esteem than signing Tyrod, who, let's face it, has about a 0% chance of seeing the field? My fear with Tyrod, and the reason he get's my "least favorite" vote, is that I see him as a possible distraction, taking valuable reps from our other, less mediocre QBs, and possibly crashing a game in some failed, hubris-filled, delusionally optimistic experiment on Rex's part. Such experiments at QB can be a morale killer.

Really, I like all of our moves, although, I agree with an earlier poster that not signing Searcy should be up there. I think we're going to miss him. He was an asset on the playing field, the practice field, and the locker room. You can't have too much of that sort of energy.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Best moves are when you can add assets at a reasonable cost. A basic cost/benefit analysis to assess the ratio of potential benefit to actual cost.

As such, adding Matt Cassel provides the potential for the most benefit for a low cost.

Adding free agents for a modest cost would rank second. Felton and Harvin fall into this category. I'm dubious of Incognito to be sure.

Keeping your own valuable free agents would come next, i.e. Jerry Hughes.

The worst moves are the reverse when you risk too much for the expected benefit. It is hard to say which moves fit into this category. Losing Spiller for nothing might have been a mistake long term. Trading away a young potential All-Pro linebacker might be a mistake long term too. Hiring a loser head coach from the Jets (4-12 last year) was another big risk. We don't know yet how these moves will pan out.

The trade for McCoy and the signing of TE Clay both were high risk because the cost was so high for them. They may turn out to be excellent moves, but that remains to be seen. The Bills are obviously frustrated by the last 15 years of futility and failure, so it is refreshing to a lot of fans to see them making bold risky moves to turn the franchise around. Time will tell.

What is for sure is that the Bills probably have sold more tickets for per victory than any team in the league this century.

I liked a lot of the moves. They make us a better team now. Do they make us a better team long term? I don't know, but we are having fun now so i guess we will deal with it in a few years lol.

I think the biggest move not mentioned is THE PEGULA'S!!!! Imo, this offseason doesn't happen without them. We spent more than any other team on guaranteed contracts and more than one free agent signee mentioned the first class private jet treatment. We now have owners that can compete with the big boys and that's going to make this an exciting team for years to come!!!

Best moves are when you can add assets at a reasonable cost. A basic cost/benefit analysis to assess the ratio of potential benefit to actual cost.

As such, adding Matt Cassel provides the potential for the most benefit for a low cost.

Adding free agents for a modest cost would rank second. Felton and Harvin fall into this category. I'm dubious of Incognito to be sure.

Keeping your own valuable free agents would come next, i.e. Jerry Hughes.

The worst moves are the reverse when you risk too much for the expected benefit. It is hard to say which moves fit into this category. Losing Spiller for nothing might have been a mistake long term. Trading away a young potential All-Pro linebacker might be a mistake long term too. Hiring a loser head coach from the Jets (4-12 last year) was another big risk. We don't know yet how these moves will pan out.

The trade for McCoy and the signing of TE Clay both were high risk because the cost was so high for them. They may turn out to be excellent moves, but that remains to be seen. The Bills are obviously frustrated by the last 15 years of futility and failure, so it is refreshing to a lot of fans to see them making bold risky moves to turn the franchise around. Time will tell.

What is for sure is that the Bills probably have sold more tickets for per victory than any team in the league this century.

Do you believe that has ANYTHING to do with the offseason moves this year? I absolutely do not. For one thing, the Bills barely make any money off of ticket sales (ticket sales are virtually meaningless in the NFL's revenue model). It is a drop in the bucket at best.

More importantly however is that they wanted to get better offensively. If you do not have great QB play (which they won't) you need to have elite skill players that can score from anywhere on the field (Watkins, McCoy and Harvin). In addition you need to have versatile players that can confuse a defense and create mismatches by formation (Clay, Harvin, Watkins). These moves have NOTHING to do with ticket sales and everything to do with maximizing the poor QB situation that the team has.

Best move is building a statue for Ralph!

Football wise, I'm liking a lot, Rex and Shady coming are my two I couldn't pick between.

Cassel might be our starter and the majority seems to hate it... not surprised though he was a back up college qb.

Best: Hiring Rex Ryan- It all starts with the Head Coach and I hated Rex almost as much as I do Bill Belichick.....because I know hes GOOD

Worst: McCoy for Kiko- boldest riskiest move....for one of my favorite players in the league, Mccoy is still a RB. In order to justify this trade he is going to have to produce at an all pro level....I find it very unlikely that kiko is going to be washed up in Philly. Also, the Bills ate up a bunch of cap space by making this trade that could be used to resign a player like Dareus....if we let him walk next year the McCoy contract will be the reason why.