3-20 Rex Ryan interview on WGR

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was interesting that he said they were not specifically going after Harvin, but jumped on the opportunity when he became available. He also tends to think that Percy is a really good locker room guy - saying that in the four weeks he was there that the team gave him the second most votes for some sort of award.

Rex clearly likes the ownership and basically said if they were allowed to spend like the Yankees, then they would

Edited by Bills Fan in Beantown

I thought it was interesting that he said they were not specifically going after Harvin, but jumped on the opportunity when he became available. He also tends to think that Percy is a really good locker room guy - saying that in the four weeks he was there that the team gave him the second most votes for some sort of award.

Rex clearly likes the ownership and basically said if they were allowed to spend like the Yankees, then they would

They basically are. It's just this damn cap thing. And even if they did have all the money in the world, there still wasn't a franchise QB they could get this season.

how could they not expect Harvin would be available? everyone knew he would be cut. i don't believe that for a second. maybe he meant that he didn't expect that he would be interested in joining the Bills. they probably thought he would want to go to a team with a QB. i'm honestly shocked that he would want to play for us too. if i was him i would play for the league minimum in NE and rack up 1000 yards receiving and then get a big long term contract next year.

how could they not expect Harvin would be available? everyone knew he would be cut. i don't believe that for a second. maybe he meant that he didn't expect that he would be interested in joining the Bills. they probably thought he would want to go to a team with a QB. i'm honestly shocked that he would want to play for us too. if i was him i would play for the league minimum in NE and rack up 1000 yards receiving and then get a big long term contract next year.

I was surprised to hear Crabtree was interested in coming to Bflo, too. Maybe it's the difference having a known player's coach makes?

I am really happy with what the Bills did this offseason. The only guy off of the top of my head that they really wanted that they did not get was Bulaga and he stayed in GB. It is not like they lost him to someone else in a recruiting battle. The Bills can recruit. I would like to see them swing a trade for a good veteran OL (ahem Evan Mathis) and it would be an amazing offseason.

They are going to be tough to defend. I know all of the national people keep harping on the QB situation. I guess from my standpoint it does not matter who throws the bubble screen to Watkins or Harvin. Once the ball is in their hands it does not matter if it came from Peyton Manning or Jeff Tuel. Teams will have to try to tackle those guys in the open field.

Then factor in all of the versatility and the Bills can change the entire dynamic of a play without altering the personnel on the field. That is REALLY hard for a defense. In some ways it is what Oregon tries to do. They try to attack based on the personnel that the defense has on the field. You cannot do that if you have someone like Lee Smith or Scott Chandler that is only capable of doing one thing. If you have guys like Harvin and Clay you can have them do a multitude of things. This is really exciting.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I am really happy with what the Bills did this offseason. The only guy off of the top of my head that they really wanted that they did not get was Bulaga and he stayed in GB. It is not like they lost him to someone else in a recruiting battle. The Bills can recruit. I would like to see them swing a trade for a good veteran OL (ahem Evan Mathis) and it would be an amazing offseason.

They are going to be tough to defend. I know all of the national people keep harping on the QB situation. I guess from my standpoint it does not matter who throws the bubble screen to Watkins or Harvin. Once the ball is in their hands it does not matter if it came from Peyton Manning or Jeff Tuel. Teams will have to try to tackle those guys in the open field.

Then factor in all of the versatility and the Bills can change the entire dynamic of a play without altering the personnel on the field. That is REALLY hard for a defense. In some ways it is what Oregon tries to do. They try to attack based on the personnel that the defense has on the field. You cannot do that if you have someone like Lee Smith or Scott Chandler that is only capable of doing one thing. If you have guys like Harvin and Clay you can have them do a multitude of things. This is really exciting.

But that's the entire QB problem isn't it? If the guy can't make good decisions and isn't accurate enough all these playmakers are going to get pissed quicker than last year. And if our line can't give the qb decent pass protection that just magnifies on a questionable quarterback. Certainly the coaches are trying to take as much of the offense as possible off the qb but I would still like a proven winning quarterback. Hopefully Cassel if EJ fails

But that's the entire QB problem isn't it? If the guy can't make good decisions and isn't accurate enough all these playmakers are going to get pissed quicker than last year. And if our line can't give the qb decent pass protection that just magnifies on a questionable quarterback. Certainly the coaches are trying to take as much of the offense as possible off the qb but I would still like a proven winning quarterback. Hopefully Cassel if EJ fails

We all want a proven winning QB. If one is not available what is the best alternative?

That is why I spefically used a bubble screen as an example. I could make that play at QB. If they needed someone to throw 25 yard outs it would be a different story. A BIG part of the reason that the Bills would pursue a guy like Harvin is because he can take a jet sweep, reverse, bubble screen or quick slant to the house. They are quick developing, easy throws. Those types of plays from the QB position every guy on the roster is capable of making.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Unless it's EJ trying to throw the dump off, then you do have to factor in the potential of a pick 6 to a defensive lineman.

Unless it's EJ trying to throw the dump off, then you do have to factor in the potential of a pick 6 to a defensive lineman.

andrew luck threw the same pass to watt last season but he dropped it. It happened, move on. QBs throw picks. That's the least of my concerns with EJ tbh.

I saw a sports science show on EJ. The guy is not inaccurate. In fact he scored as high as anyone on that show. I love how everyone here thinks he has accuracy issues. He was poorly coached and it effected his timing. EJ is young and and trying to put it together at the NFL level. Give him a coach that actually is experienced at drawing up plays and he can be very good. Get some wins under his belt and watch what happens. All he needs is to feel it!

I saw a sports science show on EJ. The guy is not inaccurate. In fact he scored as high as anyone on that show. I love how everyone here thinks he has accuracy issues. He was poorly coached and it effected his timing. EJ is young and and trying to put it together at the NFL level. Give him a coach that actually is experienced at drawing up plays and he can be very good. Get some wins under his belt and watch what happens. All he needs is to feel it!

I think there is a big difference between throwing at a target, and having to avoid a pass rush, make reads in coverage and making that same throw. Perhaps he is accurate, but if he can't be accurate in a game situation it doesn't matter.

Edited by Carey Bender

I think there is a big difference between throwing at a target, and having to avoid a pass rush, make reads in coverage and making that same throw. Perhaps he is accurate, but if he can't be accurate in a game situation it doesn't matter.

Part of that Sports Science involved making the throws under pressure