Dareus - $100+ Million?

BBills14

Glenn, Gilmore, Bradham, and Dareus are due for big extensions (Well Gilmore and Glenn are much much more dependent on what they do this upcoming season). The cap is projected to be between 150-160 and the Bills currently sit with 113 committed (Even if you factor in dead money). Chris Williams and Manny Lawson are also possible cuts that could free up more significant space. Also Mario's deal could be restructured/extended to free up some more cap space.

I would like them to extend Bradham to a modest deal 4-5 million get him set. Then extend Dareus as the anchor for 15+ million. I think you could then franchise Gilmore or Glenn depending on how they do. Its a given that the team is going to let one of those players walk. 1 player who will command a mega deal in Dareus, 2 players who depending on how they do could command big deals in Glenn and Gilmore, and another player in Bradham who is commanding a sizable extension.

In all likelihood you are going to have to see one of those players walk. My best case is to grab 3 out of the 4 extend two of them during the season and pick one of them to possibly franchise. Good news is that the team has an owner willing to spend. Although it would be good to save some money on the cap and try to make a play for Phillip Rivers.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@hsimon62: if you are worried about the cap w/report that Clay's 2016 cap # will be around 12 million. don't worry. even w/dareus coming up (1/2)

@hsimon62: as per http://t.co/TfHg2CvTtL, #Bills top 51 contracts in 2016 take up $109 million in space. some are projecting 2016 cap to be around 160m

@hsimon62: Bills would have room to cover Dareus and Gilmore. Bills have till May 3rd to exercise a 2016 option on Gilmore which would cost 10M plus

@hsimon62: they haven't touched mario williams contract yet and he has cap # of 19m plus. they can re-structure to clear more room if they want

@hsimon62: great to have filthy rich owners who will spend whatever it takes including bonus money that lowers cap #'s to sign/keep key players

Whatakes us sure Mario restructures? He doesn't have to

theres literally no reason for a player to say no typically. problem is unless hes re-signing with an extension, its so late in his deal that its not a great option to use him at that point.

Whatakes us sure Mario restructures? He doesn't have to

that will depend on what makes him happy and how the team fares. If the D stays solid and the O improves and the Bills make it to and wins a playoff game I could envision him pulling a Jerry and staying to complete unfinished work.

theres literally no reason for a player to say no typically. problem is unless hes re-signing with an extension, its so late in his deal that its not a great option to use him at that point.

we will have to give him many more years otherwise he knows he will have good money on the table in 3 yrs. He has shown no signs of slowing down and is too good to fall off enough not to earn a 3-4 yr $40-50mm

we will have to give him many more years otherwise he knows he will have good money on the table in 3 yrs. He has shown no signs of slowing down and is too good to fall off enough not to earn a 3-4 yr $40-50mm

He may not be slowing down yet, but at the end of his current contract he'll be 34. I dont know there will be many teams out there looking to pay him $10+mil/yr until he's close to 40. He will slow down, there will be new, younger DEs around the league. Look at Vince Wolfork's new contract compared to the young guys like McCoy and Suh. Day and night.

He may not be slowing down yet, but at the end of his current contract he'll be 34. I dont know there will be many teams out there looking to pay him $10+mil/yr until he's close to 40. He will slow down, there will be new, younger DEs around the league. Look at Vince Wolfork's new contract compared to the young guys like McCoy and Suh. Day and night.

look at guys like Cliff Avril and jPP. Look at some of the older guys recently of the last 5 yrs. Wilfork got less and slowed due to multiple injuries. Kyle Williams is better to compare to Bianca then Mario. Mario will go somewhere with a much higher cap by 2017 and sign a $8-10mm/yr deal if he can

look at guys like Cliff Avril and jPP. Look at some of the older guys recently of the last 5 yrs. Wilfork got less and slowed due to multiple injuries. Kyle Williams is better to compare to Bianca then Mario. Mario will go somewhere with a much higher cap by 2017 and sign a $8-10mm/yr deal if he can

Cliff Avril is 28 and JPP is 26. They're in a completely different NFL generation, considered prime years for DL, than a 34 year old guy.

Cliff Avril is 28 and JPP is 26. They're in a completely different NFL generation, considered prime years for DL, than a 34 year old guy.

football years jpp is mid 30's. Avril, too. Both have had drop offs. Mario has been healthy and playing very well

I like Suh and Dareus but they aren't worth QB money. Miami made a big mistake.

Losing Dareus vs the Raiders was the reason we lost that game. The ran the ball right down our throats where Dareus would have been. We stopped the run the rest of the season for the most part. I see a player that when not on the field leads to us losing the the freaking Raiders as valuable as a QB. He's a flat out game changer and there a few of them at any position in the league.

It is difficult to image that after re-signing Hughes and extending Kyle, that the FO's plan isn't to also re-sign Dareus and keep the strength of this team, the front four, together for the foreseeable future. We can easily afford it, though keeping Glenn, Gilmore, Bradham and Harvin as well might be stretching things somewhat.

We'll have enough room to do what we need to do to retain our players next year. Having said that, the $50 M (pre Clay, probably closer to $40M now including the projected increase in cap) that is available next year is a bit misleading though. That doesn't take into account Dareus, Gilmore, Cordy Glenn, Bradham and possibly Harvin. And there are others as well, and just these five alone will receive contracts totaling an aggregate amount of around $50M per year. But as some others have suggested, a lot of it depends on how you structure the contracts, but make no bones about it, if we retain (which I would certainly hope we would) all these players they will take up the lions share of what is available next year.

I'm cool with that, if we make the playoffs. That will mean we are a good team. We can sign our own and let Whaley keep having good drafts to keep us going long term. If any of the qbs are half way decent, we could be a dynasty. Also is it possible we get a home playoff game? If we over take the Pats for the division, I think the Colts are the only team around to give us a run .

I like Suh and Dareus but they aren't worth QB money. Miami made a big mistake.

They are two of the top 5 defenders in the entire league. They deserve to get paid. Do you think Orton deserved QB money? He was grossly overpaid for what he produced. Miami will surely screw up and give big money to Tannehill. That will be their mistake. He is below average.