Bills' gamble on Percy Harvin sends contradictory message

HOUSE

To me it was about Rodak. He wrote an article about Percy Harvin having issues off the field (well duh). Everyone already knows that. His lack of understanding of the cap and the NFL in general gets exposed every time that he sits in front of a keyboard. He is a TERRIBLE insider as there are people on this board with more inside info.

And it's not just a lack of inside info - he also has nearly no actual insight. "They want to run but signed a wr" ignores that he's an explosive special teamer and field position is big for a team like ours, that he has about 1000 rushing yards at over 6ypc, and a ton of his catches were around or behind the line ("creative runs").

He's at espn - with a snap of his fingers he could have harvin stats combing runs and passes traveling less than 5 yards in the air.

And I think he totally neglects how those sweeps and bubble screens ground and pound a secondary

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's not just a lack of inside info - he also has nearly no actual insight. "They want to run but signed a wr" ignores that he's an explosive special teamer and field position is big for a team like ours, that he has about 1000 rushing yards at over 6ypc, and a ton of his catches were around or behind the line ("creative runs")

Exactly, he is totally useless.

Bottom line is Buffalo is running out of Cap space and we have No #1. Its hard to start a #2 or later draft pick.

They have plenty of cap space and a few easy avenues to create more. If they traded for Mathis for example they could release Urbik and/or Williams and cover his cap hit.

This is a lousy draft anyways. Seattle only had 16 players with a 1st round grade. Besides for QB (that's a big one) the Bills only holes are a guard and a TE. They can still do both through FA if they want without a cap problem. The problem is more that the talent has dried up some.

Translation - "This Pats fan is mad Percy signed with the Bills instead of New England."

Rodak is a hack. I don't think that he understands the salary cap. That is dangerous for someone tasked with communicating it to the general public.

Since when is Road-dick an expert on what the Bills need personnel-wise?

Rodak may be a hack and a Pats fan and anything else you want to call him, but in this case he's just stating what a bunch of us football-knowledgeable fan-boys think. The front office has talked a good game about OL being a priority and building from the inside out, but they haven't "walked the talk" yet.

The fact is, we're thin on cap space and we haven't yet improved at TE or OL, two crying needs. In that context, Harvin for $6M appears to be a "glitz" type signing, a luxury player, and raises the question "if we offered Boling $6M/yr would he have signed here?"

Not necessarily. Harvin has a long (and I mean long) history of being a trouble maker.

In high school, he was suspended a game as a junior for a post-whistle unsportsmanlike penalty. As a senior, he was suspended the last 2 regular season games of his high school career for shoving a ref and using foul language. A couple months later playing basketball, he started a fight with an opponent that resulted in the game being called and a ban from competing against out-of-district schools. That meant he wasn't allowed to participate in state track events in the spring, too. He had won 5 individual state track titles up until then but he cost himself the opportunity to win an unprecedented 6th title and perhaps even worse, his teammate's an opportunity to win a team state championship.

One of his former teachers, now retired, told me he was the most ignorant, arrogant,self-absorbed, and self-entitled students she ever met. In fact, the only time I've heard her cuss was when she called him "just a real ass."

That's the kind of kid he was. Extrapolating that to adulthood - and with stories we've already heard about him - Rodak is right. He might not be worth the trouble.

Hopefully Rex can keep him in line all season. But the odds appear to be against him.

"He might not be worth the trouble" is the key phrase. Rex had him for half a year and there were no issues. Harvin knows his own track record and that he must be on his best behaviour. That's why it's a one year deal, to allow him to show that he can be a model citizen for a full season, put up some decent numbers and get a bigger payday next offseason. It makes perfect sense for both parties.

Rodak may be a hack and a Pats fan and anything else you want to call him, but in this case he's just stating what a bunch of us football-knowledgeable fan-boys think. The front office has talked a good game about OL being a priority and building from the inside out, but they haven't "walked the talk" yet.

The fact is, we're thin on cap space and we haven't yet improved at TE or OL, two crying needs. In that context, Harvin for $6M appears to be a "glitz" type signing, a luxury player, and raises the question "if we offered Boling $6M/yr would he have signed here?"

There is still that $6M to offer though so it's irrelevant IMO.

Couldn't even finish that article. Wow, is he horrible. I don't think he has much of an understanding of the cap, scheme, and the owner. They appear to be a team willing to spend to the cap so any suggestion by idiots like this that they are in trouble with little cap room left is conjecture and in his case just his Pats-bias. He doesn't know anything about actual football for someone in his position, glaringly under qualified to take any Xs and Ox, just like me, but in my case, read national writers who do, so when compared to others, he woefully lacking. Someone started a thread about his a while back and I read this one only because I wanted to see if he could spin it into a negative, and sure enough that was the tact he explicitly and intentionally took. Stop reading him. I'm basically down to boxscores now! Not much out there worth reading.

Agreed. All I seem to want to do this week is read up on the Bills, it's a pretty exciting offseason, but hodak's blog is absolute horsesh*t. This article reads like a cheatriots fan whining that the Bills got Harvin.

We've added an elite line coach, an OC ghats great at scheming to help his line, we took a shot with incognito, and we've chased other options.... Sure you can argue that the hand them a blank check approach mightve landed someone - but is that smarter team building?

And I think you are capable enough to acknowledge that guys like McCoy and harvin can help mask some of those troubles. If we added mike Wallace in a hope of 40 yards bombs, Id share the concern to a greater degree- having watched how good teams create space in the run and short passing game and then chunk yardage.

Or how harvin as a special teamer creates points

There is still that $6M to offer though so it's irrelevant IMO.

And that

And yet if the Pats had signed him it would be a hugh coup. They get that benefit of the doubt because they've won--and the Bills have not (yet). That's the extent of logic and analysis that national sports "writers" use, whether its Rodak or any one else.

I also get the sense from Rodak/ESPN (as Walker and Timmy were the same) that they think its smart business for web traffic to be snarky and/or "against the wind" to irritate Bills fans (like Schopp as well)...

I've been patient with Rodak but he brings nothing to the table. He never has inside info and really doesn't understand the NFL or the Bills. He is not good at his job. He pretty much re-tweets stories that Schefter, Carucci and Graham broke. Hopefully ESPN will evaluate the job that he has done and move on.

It will all depend on the number of clicks he gets. If he can't generate traffic, he'll be out the door...

Waiving Chandler doesn't appear to be wise though

Ever since this play I was good with Chandler not being a Buffalo Bill...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000291023/Chandler-fumbles-it-away

He really screwed the Bills season and the rookie QB's development with that one. I'm glad he's on the Patriots now, with the Bills rough and tumble defense Chandler will either coach it up or drop the ball in a key moment when they play against them.

2011 (best season)

52 rushes, 345 yards, 6.6ypa, 2 TD

(≤0 yd pass) 26 receptions, 143 yards, 5.5ypc, 1 TD

(1-10 yd pass) 43 receptions, 456 yards, 10.6 ypc, 4 TD

33 rushes, 202 yards, 6.1 yards, 1 TD

(≤0 yd pass) 7 receptions, 45 yards, 6.4 ypc, 0 TD

(1-10 yd pass) 16 receptions, 120 yards, 8.1 ypc, 0 TD

Percy is Sammy Watkins insurance. Sammy can't be the only guy running these screens and sweeps. He's too good a down field threat for that. Percy will most likely be doing a lot of what he did with the Gators and Vikings and that is perfectly fine. A backfield consisting of McCoy and Harvin is going to be lethal. Wait until Tyrod comes in for some wildcat/triple option fun.

2011 (best season)

52 rushes, 345 yards, 6.6ypa, 2 TD

(≤0 yd pass) 26 receptions, 143 yards, 5.5ypc, 1 TD

(1-10 yd pass) 43 receptions, 456 yards, 10.6 ypc, 4 TD

33 rushes, 202 yards, 6.1 yards, 1 TD

(≤0 yd pass) 7 receptions, 45 yards, 6.4 ypc, 0 TD

(1-10 yd pass) 16 receptions, 120 yards, 8.1 ypc, 0 TD

Thanks! In 2011 that's 78 touches behind the line of scrimmage and 121 within 10 yards for an average of 6.5-7 yards per touch and 7 tds (Td every 17 touches) on plays that are fast developing and low risk high reward... Sucks the defense in and let's you take a shot or two when the safety cheats Edited by NoSaint