Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gilmore> Cro

Their safeties and LBs are meh to quite meh

Revis and Cromartie and one hell of a tandem brother ! and they have line too.

one of the better ones if i recall ; )

I'm mobile! I can't F5! :(

Don't worry.we are a team. even you unscrupulous basterds here.

Yolo is our Man !!

and the f5ing will be done.

hang on Man!

Revis and Cromartie and one hell of a tandem brother ! and they have line too.

one of the better ones if i recall ; )

Front 4 is good (2 of them). Not a fan of Cro, on decline. Bowles had statistically the worst pass D in the league last yr. according to some angry Jets fan I heard ranting. Edited by YoloinOhio

There is one aspect to this that I am pretty sure has not been mentioned.....and that is....

If a player signs a contract after receiving the transition tag, his original team cannot use the tag again on any player until the contract has expired.

If the Dolphins rescind the tag, or if Clay signs the 1 year tag deal, they can use the transition tag again(on any player) next season.

It seems to me that if the Dolphins have given up on Clay as some media has reported, it would be in their best interest to rescind the tag thus enabling its use in future years if needed. Conversely, if the Bills make an offer before the Dolphins rescind the tag they would not only remove the transition ability away from the Dolphins for the length of the contract(regardless if he plays for Bills or if Dolphins match offer)......but it would also ensure that no 3rd party teams could move in on the Clay action.

Edited by Dibs

we'll see. Never count those Jets out. even on paper.

There is one aspect to this that I am pretty sure has not been mentioned.....and that is....

If a player signs a contract after receiving the transition tag, his original team cannot use the tag again on any player until the contract has expired.

If the Dolphins rescind the tag, or if Clay signs the 1 year tag deal, they can use the transition tag again(on any player) next season.

It seems to me that if the Dolphins have given up on Clay as some media has reported, it would be in their best interest to rescind the tag thus enabling its use in future years if needed. Conversely, if the Bills make an offer before the Dolphins rescind the tag they would not only remove the transition ability away from the Dolphins for the length of the contract(regardless if he plays for Bills or if Dolphins match offer)......but it would also ensure that no 3rd party teams could move in on the Clay action.

Oh boy.

so for a fella like me. We are in better shape making the offer that seals the deal ? isnt there some collusion in this whole way of doing business. What advantage do the Dolphins have to release him from the Tag ? sorry for the naivete and reading comprehension issues over here

this is very well thought out and intelligent. I will add that he probably wants to ensure he never has to wear those hideous teal pants again on national tv and that also has not been mentioned. Big, if true. Edited by YoloinOhio

Good point and post. It's another element of the game of chicken. Not a lot of teams use the transition tag but the Bills know the Dolphins would rather make the Bills pay more and hurt the cap than keep the tab. The Bills are counting on the Fins coming to their senses and rescinding.

we'll see. Never count those Jets out. even on paper.

Oh boy.

so for a fella like me. We are in better shape making the offer that seals the deal ? isnt there some collusion in this whole way of doing business. What advantage do the Dolphins have to release him from the Tag ? sorry for the naivete and reading comprehension issues over here

If the Dolphins release him from the tag they can use the transition tag next year(and following years) on any player.

If an offer is made while a player is tagged, the tagging team cannot use the tag for the duration of the contract. This means that if the Bills offer a 6 year deal, the Dolphins lose the ability to use the tag for the next 6 years.

Edit: Clay would need to sign said offered deal for this to come into effect.

Edited by Dibs

If the Dolphins release him from the tag they can use the transition tag next year(and following years) on any player.

If an offer is made while a player is tagged, the tagging team cannot use the tag for the duration of the contract. This means that if the Bills offer a 6 year deal, the Dolphins lose the ability to use the tag for the next 6 years.

Edit: Clay would need to sign said offered deal for this to come into effect.

Thanks for the assist : )

......but the Bills know the Dolphins would rather make the Bills pay more and hurt the cap than keep the tab......

You are likely right on this assumption......but we can be fairly certain that 2 years ago the Dolphins had no inkling that they would be wanting to use the tag this year. Losing the tag for 4-6 years is a risky proposition for the Dolphins if they have already determined that they won't be keeping Clay.

This is what I mean; Omar and others are convinced that Miami created this cap space to be able to match an offer for Clay, but that was never the case imo. They want to make other moves to fill big holes in their roster and they are not as able to do that with $14m plus committed to TEs with the expectation that amount will go up with a new deal for Clay.

It ain't about Miami being able to match offers, it's about wanting/needing to make other moves they can't make as readily.

GO BILLS!!!

Plus too with Suh's big cap hit really coming in next year the Dolphins are going to have to consider Clay's cap hit next year more so than this years. The Fins consideration for this year will be where else could and should put their money in as well as the lesser factor of next year.

Posted Today, 10:02 PM

This is hard to believe, but it's true: some day we will come here to find that something substantive has actually happened regarding this situation. Really!

^^^ yeah, this^^^

:wallbash:

Edited by bonechiller