Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

The Bills must know that they need him more,which is true, he's worth more to us than to other teams because of Roman and the offense we are going to run, which is true, we are therefore going to pay him more than anyone including the Dolphins, which is true, and he liked his visit a lot and how the Bills are going to use him.

Therefore the Bills are convinced they are signing him either way but would prefer if the Dolphins would rescind the tag and we would immediately sign him. The Fins don't want to help is out so they are waiting. They want us to use the offers sheet.

What will happen is that one of the two teams will want to sign another player or two and will prefer to know how much money they have and will cave. If it's the Bills they will have Clay sign the offer sheet. If it's the Fins they will rescind the tag. Clay probably wants the offer sheet because it's likely more upfront cash

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going into the weekend I thought Clay would extend with the Fins. But now that its well into Monday I have no idea on where Clay will end up. If the Bills can get Clay that fills a big need, I would like them to fit resigning Spikes in and then draft a good guard. Spikes was a key reserve and brought an element of physicality to the front 7 and without Kiko they need that depth.

I am not sure what the Bills cap is but fitting Clay into a big cap number year one should take a lot of the space the team has left but they should be able to fit another modest signing like Spikes in if he wants to come back as a role player.

on that note.. would another team's offer be announced? or just it's acceptance or match?

In the Twitter-verse we live in, I have no doubt you'd hear about it first.

The agents are masters at manipulating social media--and the Internet sites that live and die by it--hoping to make teams to panic on rumors and innuendo...

The Bills must know that they need him more,which is true, he's worth more to us than to other teams because of Roman and the offense we are going to run, which is true, we are therefore going to pay him more than anyone including the Dolphins, which is true, and he liked his visit a lot and how the Bills are going to use him.

Given that this is stretching out another week, I'd like to see the Bills have him visit Buffalo again, just for the PR it would generate.

I think it would help cement the perception that Whaley/Pegs are not going to let any other team into this kabuki dance...

In the Twitter-verse we live in, I have no doubt you'd hear about it first.

The agents are masters at manipulating social media--and the Internet sites that live and die by it--hoping to make teams to panic on rumors and innuendo...

i hear ya.. it would be exposed, regardless of whether it's league policy to verify the existence of an offer tendered.. thanks :thumbsup:

If there is anyone remaining that still thinks Miami made those roster moves in the interest of freeing up cap space in order to sign Clay to a new deal, this should remove all doubt.

GO BILLS!!!

The transition tag of $7 million already counts against their cap for 2015, so they wouldn't have to make any more moves, if they did sign him to a long term deal, it would probably reduce their hit for this season.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 21m21 minutes ago

IF Charles Clay liked the offer the Bills made him he'd have signed it by now. You do realize it has been 6 days?

Duh! This guy's starting to make Sully look intelligent.

His logic doesn't mean that Clay's any closer to accepting the Fin's 1-year deal either, or he'd have done it by now. He's probably still negotiating with Buffalo, which is a good thing for the Bills and not so favorable for Miami...

He hates the Bills

Maybe the Fins as well...

http://cover32.com/dolphins/2014/05/30/dolphins-players-not-shy-about-calling-out-omar-kelly/

http://www.finsnation.com/fins_nation/2012/10/omar-kelly-is-the-biggest-troll-in-the-history-of-the-internet.html

Edited by Lurker

Yeah, you are right. It is a totally different argument if they had to decide between Clay and Wisniewski for example, but they don't. The Bills have managed the cap, dare I say, flawlessly to this point. They still have the requisite cap space to finish off the roster building and maintain the flexibility to go after a player that may hit the market down the road. In addition, they have some tools in their back pocket (ie Mario restructure & Urbik/C. Williams release) that can open up even more room without doing any damage. The cap is not an issue at all (at this point) regardless of what the offer for Clay looks like, despite what that great football mind Mike Rodak may be writing.

When we sign a free agent, there are basically 2 reactions- 1- good signing, fills a need for us. or 2.) what about cap space, we overpaid...i think we could just draft someone in round 3 and get equal production....

First Clay didn't sign the offer because there hasn't been one. But he knows what it is.

Second, Omar just used the Greater Than sign > about the bad source. In Twitter language he actually said Tim Graham's source was greater than bad source which would mean good source. ;)

First Clay didn't sign the offer because there hasn't been one. But he knows what it is.

Second, Omar just used the Greater Than sign > about the bad source. In Twitter language he actually said Tim Graham's source was greater than bad source which would mean good source. ;)

So glad you posted that about the "Greater Than" sign. That made me pause too, but I dismissed it as I assumed I just wasn't down with the latest Twitter lingo.

on that note.. would another team's offer be announced? or just it's acceptance or match?

edit - as in, it would be league protocol to recognize publicly that an offer has been made

nothing announced until Clay signs a contract

So glad you posted that about the "Greater Than" sign. That made me pause too, but I dismissed it as I assumed I just wasn't down with the latest Twitter lingo.

I assume he meant that Graham's source was a bad source but that is not how that sign is used. He probably meant to use the = sign although it's not close on the keyboard