Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

Marginal? Over the past few years Tannehill has been a top 1/3 of the league QB which, if you haven't been paying attention, isn't a position to easily fill. This team would be blessed to have a QB of that caliber right now.

If top 1/3 means towards the lower end of the top 50%, then I agree

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. I just saw it though.

any thoughts on what Bills are going to do if Clay does not accept our offer sheet?

gresham broke off talks with raiders. I think he's waiting to see how much and where Clay signs. He would be a good fit for a blocking TE and red zone target (6'5) and then I think they will go Hback TE in draft.

gresham broke off talks with raiders. I think he's waiting to see how much and where Clay signs. He would be a good fit for a blocking TE and red zone target (6'5) and then I think they will go Hback TE in draft.

Have any hope for Gragg coming into his own and staying healthy?

the kid has some wheels.

and M Grey might have something to offer.

I must admit i have had been wishing for Clay to sign here though.

Have any hope for Gragg coming into his own and staying healthy?

the kid has some wheels.

and M Grey might have something to offer.

I must admit i have had been wishing for Clay to sign here though.

i think both have potential and would keep both as depth. They are the type of TE for this system (though Gragg still needs to keep improving on run blocking). don't think either are starting caliber though. I think the Bills really want to upgrade their starting TE and ensure at least one is a very athletic, complete TE (run blocking and pass catching). Edited by YoloinOhio

That answers my question all to well Ohio. so Bills gotta make a move?

it looks to me like a chess game b/w Whaley and Hickey/Tannenbaum. It is possible that Clay and the Bills have a verbal agreement on a contract and the Bills are waiting to submit the offer sheet until they think Miami is done with their cap gymnastics so they can structure it appropriately.

As far as Gresham, they may already be talking to him.

it looks to me like a chess game b/w Whaley and Hickey/Tannenbaum. It is possible that Clay and the Bills have a verbal agreement on a contract and the Bills are waiting to submit the offer sheet until they think Miami is done with their cap gymnastics so they can structure it appropriately.

Thanks. I hope Bills have plan B and plan C though.

as mentioned Gresham might be waiting to see how this turns out for Clay.

any body grab Fasano yet ?

Seems by now we should get another body in the wings , at least for blocking purposes?

Seems by now we should get another body in the wings , at least for blocking purposes?

Fasano signed with Titans

fasano signed with Tennessee. Gresham probably the better player though. He's the blocking TE as well. But is at least some kind of a passing threat whereas Lee smith never was. Edited by YoloinOhio

There are still two TEs on the roster who (athletically) fit Roman's scheme. There's also the draft and my belief the Bills will still land Clay when the dust settles.

Fasano signed with Titans

oops.

There are still two TEs on the roster who (athletically) fit Roman's scheme. There's also the draft and my belief the Bills will still land Clay when the dust settles.

I thought so earlier in the week , but my faith is thinning now.

fasano signed with Tennessee. Gresham probably the better player though. He's the blocking TE as well. But is at least some kind of a passing threat whereas Lee smith never was.

My original hope was to improve upon Chandler and also Lee Smith.

They are both gone and we have yet to replace either :wallbash:

oops.

I thought so earlier in the week , but my faith is thinning now.

My original hope was to improve upon Chandler and also Lee Smith.

They are both gone and we have yet to replace either :wallbash:

chandler and smith are both gone for a reason. They aren't good enough for this scheme. They would have been gone eventually with this staff. They have 4 months to replace them.

Mine is thin too at this point, but this helps :beer:

Thanks i needed that ! Back at ya brother :beer:

@OmarKelly: "@hvd713: Bills are prepared to give Clay north of 8 million. Dolphins won't match."

Though I believe this fellow tweeted yesterday that the Phins were going to sign Clay. From comments, I surmise his reputation is not good, so I am just sharing for the small amount this may be worth.

I am okay with false hope :cry:

chandler and smith are both gone for a reason. They aren't good enough for this scheme. They would have been gone eventually with this staff. They have 4 months to replace them.

I mostly agree , and i understand the timing with Scotts contract. But i thought he might hang on and just get shoved down the depth chart.

Smith i am glad to see gone at this point. as a player i mean.

Other than seeing and hearing his name during the small number of Dolphins games I watch each year (i.e., two games against the Bills and an occasional featured game), I don't think I spent even 10 seconds of my life thinking about Charles Clay prior to this offseason. Yet, I've spent the past few days checking every site I know on a routine basis trying to get an update on his status, thought process, etc.

Free agency is a really weird time of year. . .

Thanks i needed that ! Back at ya brother :beer:

I am okay with false hope :cry:

Sorry. I deleted the post. I don't tweet. I just pick up info from other posters.

Someone clarified that Kelly was responding to a querry, not actually asserting anything newsworthy.

Essentially, someone asked what would happen if the Bills offer 8 million plus and that was his response.

Other than seeing and hearing his name during the small number of Dolphins games I watch each year (i.e., two games against the Bills and an occasional featured game), I don't think I spent even 10 seconds of my life thinking about Charles Clay prior to this offseason. Yet, I've spent the past few days checking every site I know on a routine basis trying to get an update on his status, thought process, etc.

:lol::beer:

Sorry. I deleted the post. I don't tweet. I just pick up info from other posters.

Someone clarified that Kelly was responding to a querry, not actually asserting anything newsworthy.

Essentially, someone asked what would happen if the Bills offer 8 million plus and that was his response.

no problem , but very good of you to clarify :thumbsup:

but i would still like some false hope at least.

FA is truly a weird ride for us fans.

FA is indeed a helluva drug

Yep :lol:

Red zone threat. "Go up and get the ball type of player for us "

Absolutely, and I should have remembered him. I love the idea of finding borderline NBA talents and converting them to next-gen TEs. I think the Bills should have a scout or two at D-League games and NBA draft workouts to try to convince some of the guys who may wash out to try their hand at catching a pigskin.

Absolutely, and I should have remembered him. I love the idea of finding borderline NBA talents and converting them to next-gen TEs. I think the Bills should have a scout or two at D-League games and NBA draft workouts to try to convince some of the guys who may wash out to try their hand at catching a pigskin.

I think its going to be trend actually.

and maybe he can juke ala SJ13 too!

Their biggest mistake was letting him leave without an offer...there is zero chance they get him now.

And now they have 3 scrubs at TE, none of them who know how to block. :wallbash:

Do you propose a gun to the head next time?

GO BILLS!!!

Big power forward on Fordham, backup center with softhands but build like a linebacker 6'6" gave UMass fits when he was in. Believe he was a senior.

GO BILLS!!!

Can you not read?

I would propose OFFERING HIM A CONTRACT BEFORE HE LEFT! It's common sense, he was there THREE damn days.

But, now I am curious...did they hold a gun to Mario's head? Because if they did, it worked.

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

Can you not read?

I would propose OFFERING HIM A CONTRACT BEFORE HE LEFT! It's common sense, he was there THREE damn days.

But, now I am curious...did they hold a gun to Mario's head? Because if they did, it worked.

Mario wasn't a restricted free agent. It's a much more nuanced negotiation with Clay than it was with Mario.

Can you not read?

If they had made him an offer before Miami cleared cap space, it would have been easier for Dolphins to match. Now they have a better idea of what to offer him.

Red zone threat. "Go up and get the ball type of player for us "

Like Ramses Barden was supposed to be? Lol.

I doubt Chris Manhertz is a factor at the tight end position, whatsoever.

Mario wasn't a restricted free agent. It's a much more nuanced negotiation with Clay than it was with Mario.

How so, an offered needs to be made, no matter what...only difference is, Miami has a chance to match the offer, Houston didn't.

If I go visit a team and leave with an offer in my hand, I feel a lot better about them wanting me...if I leave emptied-handed, I feel I wasted my time.

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

GO BILLS!!!

I am okay with something like that.

Like tying his shoe laces together maybe and turning out the lights and changing the time upon the clocks. Hiding car keys etc.

Like Ramses Barden was supposed to be? Lol.

I doubt Chris Manhertz is a factor at the tight end position, whatsoever.

How so, an offered needs to be made, no matter what...only difference is, Miami has a chance to match the offer, Houston didn't.

If I go visit a team and leave with an offer in my hand, I feel a lot better about them wanting me...if I leave emptied-handed, I feel I wasted my time.

It was a glass half full post by me. :flirt:

And putting in an offer 2 days ago, would give them much less time to rework their roster to make room for him.

They would've had 5 days to do everything they had to do, the Bills afforded them more time to work things out.

It's night and day because Miami can match and retain Clay so the Bills have to structure the deal in a way that hurts Miami's ability to match and they can only make ONE offer sheet. This means the two teams are playing a very high stakes game of chicken.

That wasn't an issue with Mario, they could structure the deal however they wanted.

And putting in an offer 2 days ago, would give them much less time to rework their roster to make room for him.

They would've had 5 days to do everything they had to do, the Bills afforded them more time to work things out.

That's not correct.

I am okay with something like that.

Like tying his shoe laces together maybe and turning out the lights and changing the time upon the clocks. Hiding car keys etc.

It was a glass half full post by me. :flirt:

Understandable, but I am not pinning my hopes for the TE position on a former Canisius basketball player...situations like that are extremely rare.

Rather sign Gresham and draft Williams, Walford, O'Leary...or if you want a legit TE prospect, draft Jean Sifrin, or sign him as an undrafted free agent.

Understandable, but I am not pinning my hopes for the TE position on a former Canisius basketball player...situations like that are extremely rare.

Rather sign Gresham and draft Williams, Walford, O'Leary...or if you want a legit TE prospect, draft Jean Sifrin, or sign him as an undrafted free agent.

Gresham will most likely not sign before Clay's situation is resolved because he wants to see the going rate. Another reason why it's silly to worry about the timing of something you don't seem to fully understand.

It's night and day because Miami can match and retain Clay so the Bills have to structure the deal in a way that hurts Miami's ability to match and they can only make ONE offer sheet. This means the two teams are playing a very high stakes game of chicken.

That wasn't an issue with Mario, they could structure the deal however they wanted.

That's not correct.

It is correct, if they offered him on Wednesday, Miami would have until Monday to match it...now they have all their roster reshaping done, and all the time they want since there is no offer sheet.

The Dolphins get five days to match any offer for Charles Clay, after the offer sheet is put in by the Bills, Browns or whomever.

Can you not read?

Ooh. Right for the "can't read" gambit. Nice.

The gun to Mario's head was in the form of making him the highest paid defender at the time. I'm sure that Clay could have been tempted by a similar offer, but that would have been absurd.

The transition tag on Clay also complicates the issue on several levels.

Most importantly, it takes two and there's every reason to believe that Clay's first preference is to return to Miami. It was never a question of simply not "letting" him leave.

GO BILLS!!!