Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

It seems many don't take this in to consideration. Restructuring Mario could cause issues in a few years.

That's why some of the June 1st designations can be gambles as well. You do that designation to push dollars into next years cap in the hopes you sign enough players that realistically you could not absorb that cap hit this year. When you don't sign enough players to do that it's pushing cap dollars out meaninglessly.

Edited by RichVP

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why some of the June 1st designations can be gambles as well. You do that designation to push dollars into next years cap in the hopes you sign enough players that realistically you could not absorb that cap hit this year. When you don't sign enough players to do that it's pushing cap dollars out meaninglessly.

exactly but most teams are doing it because the cap is going up each year. The Bills haven't done it much before because they didn't have any players on big contracts. Or any players worth big contracts. That's all changing. The Steelers do it a ton.

The Bills let Chandler go, so that increases Clay's bargaining position.

The fish signed Jordan Cameron, so that reduces Clay's bargaining position.

I think both sides are playing poker right now. The backup strategy for the Bills is to do nothing about Clay, and force the fish to keep two expensive players at a secondary position. That hurts the fish more than the Bills but still leaves a big question mark at TE. Maybe MarQueis Gray is as good as he looked at the end of last year and the Bills are just screwing both Clay and the fish.

I think he's working on a long-term contract with the Fish. They have to move cap dollars around and it is more drawn out than simply putting pen to paper.

Also. there's no disadvantage to Miami for prolonging this as it ties up the Bills' negotiating stance with other FAs...

Except it really hasn't. And the Bills can make moves like the Dols have, albeit it would involve restructuring and maybe extending Dareus. More on that below.

I doubt they restructure Mario this year. That pushes dollars out into the next few years.

The Bills have a ton of cap room in 2016. So I can see them doing it.

I only see this as a win-win situation for the Bills. Our interest has already cause MIA to sign a new TE and discard key starters. Even if they eventually get him, he's going to be a very expensive signing for a team that already has a TE. This will hand-cuff them for the coming years, especially when it comes time to extend Tannenhill.

As for us, Clay is not an elite TE. We can likely draft someone decent enough in the 2nd round.

I only see this as a win-win situation for the Bills. Our interest has already cause MIA to sign a new TE and discard key starters. Even if they eventually get him, he's going to be a very expensive signing for a team that already has a TE. This will hand-cuff them for the coming years, especially when it comes time to extend Tannenhill.

As for us, Clay is not an elite TE. We can likely draft someone decent enough in the 2nd round.

They are already handcuffed for the coming years and that's before they give a marginal QB a big contract.

They are going to realize that you cannot build a team with no depth because you are paying starters all of your cap space...gonna be a rough time in Miami in the coming years...better hope they make the playoffs this year so its worth it somewhat...

Except it really hasn't.

Really? Harvin was in the works before Clay went back to Florida so that doesn't count. Since then, what have they been working on? We don't know, but the Twitter-verse has been really quiet...

Edited by Lurker

The Bills let Chandler go, so that increases Clay's bargaining position.

The fish signed Jordan Cameron, so that reduces Clay's bargaining position.

I think both sides are playing poker right now. The backup strategy for the Bills is to do nothing about Clay, and force the fish to keep two expensive players at a secondary position. That hurts the fish more than the Bills but still leaves a big question mark at TE. Maybe MarQueis Gray is as good as he looked at the end of last year and the Bills are just screwing both Clay and the fish.

Lets hope so.

Really? Harvin was in the works before Clay went back to Florida so that doesn't count. Since then, what have they been working on? We don't know, but the Twitter-verse has been really quiet...

Maybe there is not much to be working on. Who else out there do you want the Bills to sign? And most of the twits are usually wrong anyway.

I think buffalo has to go through and restructure a bunch of pkayer contract to give then space in 2016 to sign him yo a contract similar to Suh eith a very large 2nd year that hampers the dolphins.

No they do not. You do know that restructuring contracts can hurt the team in future years if you do it too often......I guess that's the new catch phrase here...restructure everyone's contract.

They are already handcuffed for the coming years and that's before they give a marginal QB a big contract.

Marginal? Over the past few years Tannehill has been a top 1/3 of the league QB which, if you haven't been paying attention, isn't a position to easily fill. This team would be blessed to have a QB of that caliber right now.

No they do not. You do know that restructuring contracts can hurt the team in future years if you do it too often......I guess that's the new catch phrase here...restructure everyone's contract.

Yes! Restructuring a contract is ok every now and then, but consistently relying on that strategy just forces you to go through some very lean, very tough years where it's incredibly difficult to sign your own, impossible to sign free agents, and in many cases you're stuck trading talent for much lesser fill-ins. We've been seeing it in New Orleans, it's started in Denver, and it's only just beginning in Miami.

that happened yesterday. I don't think it makes that much difference. They could have kept him either way if they want to give him an extension. They already committed at least 7m to him this year. Trading Wallace allows them some breathing room to pick up some other tier 2 or 3 FAs as they have a lot of needs.