[closed]Charles Clay to Bills? - the sequel/trilogy

O.K. So, by not signing the Miami contract, Clay retains the right to negotiate but risks being released, right? Since he wants to stay in Miami (so he says) and Miami has now signed Cameron, has his likelihood of making $7 million + for more than one year with Miami gone to basically zero? This year's TE cap for Miami is now shrunk to way less than $7 million and the Suh contract for 2016 is crazy high. Isn's Clay crazy himself if he does not run to Buffalo or Cleveland and sign a contract ASAP? What am I missing? I see how a delay helps Miami but how does it help Clay?

If Miami doesn't rescind the tag he can always go back there and play for that $7M or whatever it is.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

O.K. So, by not signing the Miami contract, Clay retains the right to negotiate but risks being released, right? Since he wants to stay in Miami (so he says) and Miami has now signed Cameron, has his likelihood of making $7 million + for more than one year with Miami gone to basically zero? This year's TE cap for Miami is now shrunk to way less than $7 million and the Suh contract for 2016 is crazy high. Isn's Clay crazy himself if he does not run to Buffalo or Cleveland and sign a contract ASAP? What am I missing? I see how a delay helps Miami but how does it help Clay?

You are correct in that by dragging his feet, Clay has screwed himself. And keeps screwing himself more by continuing to wait longer. Unless he/his agent know something I dont, which very well could be the case.

Perhaps we will just re-sign Chandler and then draft another young TE.

Doubt it. if Lee Smith can get $3M per on the open market then Chandler should be able to get at least that elsewhere. We were only paying him a little over $2M and we thought that was too much

W/ Jordan Cameron in books, Buffalo #Bills will have an offer to Miami #Dolphins TE Charles Clay today or Sat. They believe they'll get him.

You are correct in that by dragging his feet, Clay has screwed himself. And keeps screwing himself more by continuing to wait longer. Unless he/his agent know something I dont, which very well could be the case.

How is Clay dragging his feet? He hasn't received a single contract offer yet.

How is Clay dragging his feet? He hasn't received a single contract offer yet.

Oh, Ive been out of the loop on Clay the last couple of days and figured he received some sort of offer after meeting with the Bills the last day or two. If this offer we are sending over today/tomorrow is the first, then my apologies.

I just assumed if his side was engaging in reasonable discussions there would be an offer. But I guess everyone was holding off to see what Miami was doing?

Edited by DrDareustein

Oh, Ive been out of the loop on Clay the last couple of days and figured he received some sort of offer after meeting with the Bills the last day or two. If this offer we are sending over today/tomorrow is the first, then my apologies.

I just assumed if his side was engaging in reasonable discussions there would be an offer. But I guess everyone was holding off to see what Miami was doing?

Miami held the cards - everyone needed to wait until the Suh deal got finalized, and now by signing Cameron and still keeping the tag on Clay they are playing a game of chicken with Bills. They're trying to force the Bills to offer a big front loaded deal to Clay, which would hurt Bills chances to sign other FAs.

Miami held the cards - everyone needed to wait until the Suh deal got finalized, and now by signing Cameron and still keeping the tag on Clay they are playing a game of chicken with Bills. They're trying to force the Bills to offer a big front loaded deal to Clay, which would hurt Bills chances to sign other FAs.

Yeah, that much I got. Miami effectively flipped the script on us. The bastards!

Yeah, that much I got. Miami effectively flipped the script on us. The bastards!

We still have the edge in this, I believe.

Miami is just doing what they can to make it hard for us. Drag out Suh's contract. Drag out Clay offer / no offer for a long term contract. Drag out the Jordan Cameron deal as far as they could. All so we have to prepare, update and re update the offer we've had in the works for Clay.

Effectively tying up our organizations focus on Clay. I still think we'll get both Clay and Harvin. But not without Miami making us really work for it.

I'm not sure that this approach will really affect Buffalo's FA flexibility much...we have $15M+ in cap space now, and even if Clay's contract results in a $10M cap hit in year one, they'd still have $5M to sign FAs and draft picks. Keeping in mind that we have no first-round pick, that means they probably have $3M or so left in space to sign FAs...should be enough for what they plan to do. They can also create $2.35M more by dropping Urbik, plus gain relief by signing Dareus or Mario to an extension.

Doubt it. if Lee Smith can get $3M per on the open market then Chandler should be able to get at least that elsewhere. We were only paying him a little over $2M and we thought that was too much

Charles Robinson@CharlesRobinson 2h2 hours ago

W/ Jordan Cameron in books, Buffalo #Bills will have an offer to Miami #Dolphins TE Charles Clay today or Sat. They believe they'll get him.

well, 1 year ago he tried. and he tried. and he did not.

and i dont think this year changed anyones view of him - except now he will be turning 30 at the opening of camps

I'm not sure that this approach will really affect Buffalo's FA flexibility much...we have $15M+ in cap space now, and even if Clay's contract results in a $10M cap hit in year one, they'd still have $5M to sign FAs and draft picks. Keeping in mind that we have no first-round pick, that means they probably have $3M or so left in space to sign FAs...should be enough for what they plan to do. They can also create $2.35M more by dropping Urbik, plus gain relief by signing Dareus or Mario to an extension.

and those rookie deals will be replacing nonrookie deals in the cap calculation, so even 2m is unlikely to be the threshold for them. we will have 500k guys replacing 500k guys in the calculation unless one of the 500k draft picks allows us to move a more expensive vet.

It's not a total block on Bills, but it does lessen their flexibility.

I'm still wondering how Miami got Cameron in under the cap though. They had about $6 mil left not accounting for his contract. My guess is the Bills are waiting for the numbers to be released to see how to structure Clay.