Move Eric Wood to Guard..

Bocephuz

The pickings are pretty slim at Guard in FA right now ( Boling, Iupati, Carpenter have signed).. however there are a few good centers available.

Wood really struggled at Center last year... I'm thinking we pick up either De La Puente or Montgomery.. plug them in at Center and kick Wood to Guard. What does everyone think?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/22/2015-top-free-agents-guards-centers/

3. Brian De La Puente

2014 Grade: +4.3

2014 Snaps: 501

Three strong seasons as a starter for the Saints only got De La Puente a backup gig with the Bears last season, reuniting with former line coach Aaron Kromer in the Windy City. Even strong displays to start the season (+8.2 through Week 5) with Roberto Garza injured didn’t see De La Puente maintain his place in the lineup, only returning at left guard when the Bears were shorthanded mid-season.

Both with the Saints and Bears, De La Puente has excelled as a run blocker in the middle of the line earning a positive run block grade every season as a starter. De La Puente may be out of the limelight entering free agency as a backup but teams in need of a starting center could do far worse than look in his direction.

4. Will Montgomery

2014 Grade: +6.6

2014 Snaps: 665

Much like De La Puente, Montgomery is an underappreciated veteran who provided largely solid play off the bench for a new team last season. After an underrated stint with Washington, Montgomery put in a solid showing with the Broncos after a late season shuffle on the offensive line.

Entering the Broncos’ starting lineup in Week 10, but for a poor fortnight against the Bills (-4.4) and Chargers (-1.1), Montgomery consistently earned positive grades surrendering only five pressures in his nine starts. He also played his part in the improved Broncos’ ground attack late in the season. At 32 teams are unlikely to look to Montgomery as their “plan A” at center but as he showed for the Broncos he offers valuable depth and competition off the bench in a zone scheme.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably struggled at center because he had turnstiles next to him at guard. I don't hate this idea though.

He's the most overrated Bills player we've had in a while. The people next to him have nothing to do with defenders driving him 1 or 2 yards into the backfield off the snap in one-on-one situations which I've been noticing on him for years. Last year, there were times were he was flat out knocked on his butt by guys one on one.

He's the most overrated Bills player we've had in a while. The people next to him have nothing to do with defenders driving him 1 or 2 yards into the backfield off the snap in one-on-one situations which I've been noticing on him for years. Last year, there were times were he was flat out knocked on his butt by guys one on one.

How quickly we've forgotten Trey Teague and Jeff Hangartner. Classic Bills fans....

this

Keep him at center and draft Guards. Center is not an easy position to switch guys in and out of

IF they wanted to make the move, now is a great time. New QB's, new OL around him. You can't pick a much better time to swap out a center.

Keep him at center and draft Guards. Center is not an easy position to switch guys in and out of

I would think it would be easier to switch from Center to Guard.. than vice versa. Center has a lot of responsibility calling out protections etc...

I respectfully disagree. Wood is an unsung hero at center. Just think back a few years ago to the Ravens game when he was injured and we tried replacing him with backups. As for being driven back, as you call it, Wood is actually stepping back to give himself space to play the rusher on pass plays.

Also consider Wood calls out the blocking assignments based on what he reads defensively. If you think throwing in a rookie will get you the same result, you are sadly mistaken.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

And what's his name, a few years ago, who was supposed to be the ultimate road grader.

Duke Preston?

I respectfully disagree. Wood is an unsung hero at center. Just think back a few years ago to the Ravens game when he was injured and we tried replacing him with backups. As for being driven back, as you call it, Wood is actually stepping back to give himself space to play the rusher on pass plays.

Yes Wood had crap guards on either side of him all year and there were times it hurt him.. but there were a few too many times where he was flat out beaten or bull rushed into the backfield and the guard play had nothing to do with those situations. I think his cache as a vocal leader and press corps favorite overshadows his on field play.

Duke Preston?

Yes Wood had crap guards on either side of him all year and there were times it hurt him.. but there were a few too many times where he was flat out beaten or bull rushed into the backfield and the guard play had nothing to do with those situations. I think his cache as a vocal leader and press corps favorite overshadows his on field play.

That "vocal leadership" is him calling blocking assignments, not going "rah-rah." How do you replace that with a rookie?

I think that with zero movement on G's in the last two days people are waiting on Saints to make roster moves. After that, I think your theory is likely to play out, esp with Suh in Miami now.

Also consider Wood calls out the blocking assignments based on what he reads defensively. If you think throwing in a rookie will get you the same result, you are sadly mistaken.

I'm more referring to running plays actually and there is no way it is by design on those. We have been dominated up the middle for the past 2 to 3 years. Just look at our short yardage success or lack there of. He, along with the guards, have been manhandled. People who do not see that just have their homer goggles on IMO.

If he wasn't a vocal leader on the team I think a lot of his supporters would be singing a much different tune.

Edited by Mark80