Rapaport: Trading Kiko was Rex's idea

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the first things Rex wanted to do was find a way to get David Harris in a Bills uni to QB his defense. That doesn't mean getting rid of Kiko. Being offered McCoy by an NFL team that's currently coveting ex-Oregon players is what got Alonso traded. I don't buy for a second that he wasn't a scheme fit seeing as how Kiko was DROY runner up in Pettine's scheme in '13.

GO BILLS!!!

@RapSheet: Interested to learn trading #Bills LB Kiko Alonso was one of the first things Rex Ryan wanted to do when hired. Perhaps not a scheme fit

I somewhat believe it after he saw what Bradham and Brown did on film, and thought that perhaps Brown would be the inside guy and Bradham could play the outside guy. But only in the sense that "if we can get a star player in return for Kiko, let's do it" rather than "I don't like Kiko" or "he's not really all that good."

But, remember that the Eagles called the Bills on this one, from reports, the Bills didn't offer Kiko to the Eagles.

One of the first things Rex wanted to do was find a way to get David Harris in a Bills uni to QB his defense. That doesn't mean getting rid of Kiko. Being offered McCoy by an NFL team that's currently coveting ex-Oregon players is what got Alonso traded. I don't buy for a second that he wasn't a scheme fit seeing as how Kiko was DROY runner up in Pettine's scheme in '13.

GO BILLS!!!

Totally agree about Harris. "Scheme fit" could mean we already have two guys in Bradham and Brown who are good 3 down LBs and we don't need another in the 3-4 sets if Mario or Hughes are going to play the edge rush position.

I somewhat believe it after he saw what Bradham and Brown did on film, and thought that perhaps Brown would be the inside guy and Bradham could play the outside guy. But only in the sense that "if we can get a star player in return for Kiko, let's do it" rather than "I don't like Kiko" or "he's not really all that good."

But, remember that the Eagles called the Bills on this one, from reports, the Bills didn't offer Kiko to the Eagles.

Who got pilloried for saying rex was the driver in this one? :) Edited by dave mcbride

Who got pilloried for saying rex was the driver in this one? :)

Rex has talked to Whaley about Kiko not being the best fit. The Eagles approach the Bills about the trade. Rex and Whaley talk it over and make the trade.

Seems like what a head coach and GM should be doing.

Rex has talked to Whaley about Kiko not being the best fit. The Eagles approach the Bills about the trade. Rex and Whaley talk it over and make the trade.

Seems like what a head coach and GM should be doing.

Who knows? I do think that rex is the one in power, and that believing otherwise is fantasy. That's not to say that whaley isn't valued. It's to say he's second to rex. Follow the money. Rex is making 5 times as much as whaley, who was left twisting in the wind after the regular season ended. Edited by dave mcbride

Who got pilloried for saying rex was the driver in this one? :)

Rightfully, you.

All reports say that the Eagles called the Bills and offered them McCoy, not the other way around. They called other teams, too. The fact that Kiko played for Kelly makes me believe that Kiko is the guy Kelly wanted.

Rightfully, you.

All reports say that the Eagles called the Bills and offered them McCoy, not the other way around. They called other teams, too. The fact that Kiko played for Kelly makes me believe that Kiko is the guy Kelly wanted.

If you think whaley has equal power to rex on personnel, there's a bridge in brooklyn i'd be happy to sell you. I'm not saying they don't get along. I like to think i'm a realist about these sorts of things. Who initiated the trade is beside the point; i'm referring to the power dynamic in buffalo. Edited by dave mcbride

If you think whaley has equal power to rex on personnel, there's a bridge in brooklyn i'd be happy to sell you. I'm not saying they don't get along. I like to think i'm a realist about these sorts of things.

How do you go from the eagles approaching the bills to get kiko, rex saying sure, he wanted to trade him anyway to whaley not having equal power. Sounds like the trade made itself.

I think with Rex reporting to pegs it means he has much more say than he ever did in nj, which isn't a bad thing. They really seemed to squeeze him out there. But I have to think Whaley was on board, too. It's their first huge move and one that Whaley had to know would shake up some fans. Kiko was really popular.

If you think whaley has equal power to rex on personnel, there's a bridge in brooklyn i'd be happy to sell you. I'm not saying they don't get along. I like to think i'm a realist about these sorts of things.

I definitely believe that, and why would I trust you, you're lying about the bridge. :D Like most coaches and GMs it's easy to get along in the honeymoon period. If Rex told Whaley that he didn't think he needed Kiko to make this defense great I can totally believe that. That doesn't at all mean that he has more control over player personnel.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Who knows? I do think that rex is the one in power, and that believing otherwise is fantasy. That's not to say that whaley isn't valued. It's to say he's second to rex. Follow the money. Rex is making 5 times as much as whaley, who was left twisting in the wind after the regular season ended.

Sooooo hoooooommmmmmm by that metric, would you say the players are the ones in power on the team since many of them make more than the coaches? Just following the logic trail.

By some measure, GM of an NFL team is and always has been a service position, but there has to be a brake on the coaches too.

I don't want to see a lot of ex Jets showing up here in Buffalo. Rex, if your so da*m smart, how come you can't get off your tired script and use great talent available. Maybe Rex isn't smart enough to do it another way......oh yeh,, thats why Schwartz was let go. Anyhow, keep that guy Harris out of Buffalo.......I don't have any use for him.

Edited by bigK14094

I think that Rex came in and told Doug he wanted to trade Kiko because he didn't fit the scheme and they could probably get a good pick or player in return, Doug pressed the flesh at the Combine and let it be known Kiko was on the block, and then when the Eagles approached McCoy about a paycut and he refused, and instead of cutting him outright, they called Doug and he made the trade.

I don't want to see a lot of ex Jets showing up here in Buffalo. Rex, if your so da*m smart, how come you can't get off your tired script and use great talent available. Maybe Rex isn't smart enough to it another way......oh yeh,, thats why Schwartz was let go. Anyhow, keep that guy Harris out of Buffalo.......I don't have any use for him.

Harris would be perfect for this defense.

I think that Rex came in and told Doug he wanted to trade Kiko because he didn't fit the scheme and they could probably get a good pick or player in return, Doug pressed the flesh at the Combine and let it be known Kiko was on the block, and then when the Eagles approached McCoy about a paycut and he refused, and instead of cutting him outright, they called Doug and he made the trade.

That is very reasonable, and could well have happened.