If Kiko Was A Bargaining Chip Then Why....

weren't you one of the ones bitching about mccoy's contract? but CUTLER'S would be okay? :wallbash:

getting McCoy for a linebacker was beyond improbable. this assumption that a quarterback could/should have been had is downright preposterous.

Nah I'm not worried about McCoy's contract. All of his guaranteed money was already paid to him. You must have heard that somewhere else. I might have said there are plenty of other cheaper options in FA and the draft but I don't think McCoy is overpaid.

I would pay anything for the right QB. You can't win in the NFL without a QB. I have no problem with Cutler's contract if that is who they thought could get the job done. Maybe that means you don't keep Hughes or Dareus but QB should be the #1 priority of this team. This team was built backwards. We have every piece except QB and you see where that has gotten us over the past 15 years. Now we are in a pickle. You don't want to start from scratch because you are so close but at the same time you don't have a QB so you could have the best D in the league and the best RB (from 2 yrs ago) and we still won't win without a QB and it's a shame

he spoke directly to Josina Anderson and said "why me?" and he has no plans on reporting any time soon as per his agent. probably going to be a training camp holdout and then is he just all of a sudden supposed to start game 1 when he doesn't know the plays? this sounds bad

That simply wont happen.

If Kiko was a bargaining chip then why didn't they package him up as part of a deal for another for another position? They could have backed up the Brinks truck to Demarco Murray or explored a value option with Mark Ingram in free agency and use Kiko as part of another deal.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the potential of McCoy in the offence but in a year super deep in RBs and some great FA options, why take on the contract and a player that sounds like he doesn't want to be here.

Demarco Murray can go anywhere he wants, says he wants to stay a Cowboy, and as a FA his services are open to bidding.

Why is it preferable to back up a truck for Demarco Murray, who also sounds like he wouldn't want to be here, than it is to take on a known, reasonable contract in a trade, where you're not bidding?

The Bills likely have other FA they will need to bid for. This is a Good Thing to fill this slot, and it's a case of trading a player who had higher than market value to the trade partner, giving us an especially good deal. "Donald is the only Duck Kelly hasn't brought to Philly" LOL

Ingram is not what DeSean is.

The Bills dramatically improved their RB situation by using a 2nd round pick that didn't see the field last year and was not missed. Kiko will never be a great MLBer on any defense unless it's perhaps as a weak side ILBer in a true 3-4, which no one really runs anymore. He was born to play WLBer in a 4-3. That being said, Bradham starts over him next year anyways, regardless of scheme. The Bills went from a second string LBer with 2 bad knees to an All-Pro that can pass block. The Bills solved their CJ Spiller question in the same hand shake. I love it. I have no false illusions about the Bills QB situation for 2015. If they can build an o-line and running game going into 2016 with all of their picks, we just might be seeing what a true NFL reemergence looks like. The odds are against EJ, but if the team can run and stop the run, he just might win games, and that is good enough for me right now.

If Kiko was a bargaining chip then why didn't they package him up as part of a deal for another for another position? They could have backed up the Brinks truck to Demarco Murray or explored a value option with Mark Ingram in free agency and use Kiko as part of another deal.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the potential of McCoy in the offence but in a year super deep in RBs and some great FA options, why take on the contract and a player that sounds like he doesn't want to be here.

My guess is that Kiko was offered around the league in an effort to find a QB and none were available.

he spoke directly to Josina Anderson and said "why me?" and he has no plans on reporting any time soon as per his agent. probably going to be a training camp holdout and then is he just all of a sudden supposed to start game 1 when he doesn't know the plays? this sounds bad

he didn't speak directly to her. She tweeted last night from "sources close to him". She's also the one who made up the goofy report about Michael Sam's teammates having issues with him. She's a joke. I'll believe there is a problem when McCoy or his agent says there is.

Yeah, the notion that Alonzo would have fetched an elite QB is absurd.

This is a great example of an opportunity trade. The Bills found a motivated seller and acquired a top 3 player at his position.

I have a feeling that Foles is going to be bait to move up in the draft. Chip wants Mariota. The Bears could be interested in Foles and a bunch of draft picks (in a two or multi team deal). If that happens, Cutler could be available, if the Bills really want him.

She hasn't said that anywhere!

ingram isnt half the back -- murray could have been an option but murray would have 31 other options.

Agreed. I was hoping for Ingram...but this is a much bigger upgrade, without getting into an auction for Murray or AP.

NO TEAM was trading a legit starting QB for Kiko Alonso.

I thought that would be obvious to all, but apparently some think a legitimate good starting QB could be had for a LB who had a good rookie season, but missed all of last season due to a knee injury. Ugh, no perspective.

This is actually an interesting paradox for many on this board:

1. All of our players suck - anybody on another team is better; why doesn't Buffalo get *those* players?

2. Any of our players are also good enough to trade for other team's star players.

These two views don't compute.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Although I like this trade, it is odd that we traded for a RB when this draft is supposed to be deep in RBs.

Then again, Shady is elite. When you don't have an elite QB, you need an elite RB.

IMO, adding Mccoy just made Buffalo a more attractive landing spot for a QB.

That's an interesting thought.

If I'm a FA QB, I'm probably noticing a few things...

* The Bills have a couple good, young wideouts.

* The Bills have a great D. I won't have to win games single-handedly.

* I'll have an elite RB lining up behind me - opposing defenses will have to respect the run.

* Rex Ryan and Greg Roman have good reputations.

* The Bills were 9-7 last year. They should be contending for the playoffs this season.

The problem, of course, is that there aren't any good FA QBs.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Nah I'm not worried about McCoy's contract. All of his guaranteed money was already paid to him. You must have heard that somewhere else. I might have said there are plenty of other cheaper options in FA and the draft but I don't think McCoy is overpaid.

I would pay anything for the right QB. You can't win in the NFL without a QB. I have no problem with Cutler's contract if that is who they thought could get the job done. Maybe that means you don't keep Hughes or Dareus but QB should be the #1 priority of this team. This team was built backwards. We have every piece except QB and you see where that has gotten us over the past 15 years. Now we are in a pickle. You don't want to start from scratch because you are so close but at the same time you don't have a QB so you could have the best D in the league and the best RB (from 2 yrs ago) and we still won't win without a QB and it's a shame

I don't know, I think this is the formula that Seattle has used and it is working out pretty well for them. Maybe I am wrong, but if you put Russell Wilson in position to have to carry a team by himself, I think he'd struggle. Don't get me wrong, I think he is pretty good - great for what they are asking him to do, but take away their dominant defense and outstanding running game and see how effective he'd be.

I don't know, I think this is the formula that Seattle has used and it is working out pretty well for them. Maybe I am wrong, but if you put Russell Wilson in position to have to carry a team by himself, I think he'd struggle. Don't get me wrong, I think he is pretty good - great for what they are asking him to do, but take away their dominant defense and outstanding running game and see how effective he'd be.

Regardless of if Wilson could carry a team today, he certainly could not do so as a rookie. I've always believed you get a great o line in place and strong running game and you will see a lot of QBs develop better than they would have otherwise.

I don't understand why some people think the Bills were "shopping" Kiko. All indications are that the Eagles were shopping McCoy to teams that would benefit from his services. The fact that the Bills had something to trade that Chip Kelly was interested in is a beneficial coincidence.

RB was a position of need...LB was not... McCoy is/was the best option to address the RB position. IMO, this move does not change the plans for free agency or the draft. The Bills took advantage of an opportunity when it presented itself.