Your next Bills QB will be...the Sanchise.

Sanchez has shown that he can win in the NFL. He could be the starter and be a very good, experienced backup to EJ.

What!? If Sanchez is on this team there is no way he's backing up EJ. That would be ridiculous.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What!? If Sanchez is on this team there is no way he's backing up EJ. That would be ridiculous.

Anyone they bring in at QB, including Sanchez, will be in a camp battle for the gig. It's possible, given Sanchez's inconsistency, that EJ outperforms him and wins the job. What is so ridiculous about that?

Anyone they bring in at QB, including Sanchez, will be in a camp battle for the gig. It's possible, given Sanchez's inconsistency, that EJ outperforms him and wins the job. What is so ridiculous about that?

Impossible. Obviously not something I can prove, but it would be a tragedy if a Sanchez quality QB were backing up EJ ... a clear sign that we are committed to wasting our window on EJ. And don't get me wrong, Sanchez is not great. But he has no business backing up EJ (if if EJ somehow looked a little better in practice [which means little to nothing]).

Edited by Rex'sOffense

Mark Sanchez is the best available FA QB on the market.

I understand why you might think that, but I disagree.

1) Sanchez had almost 10 points higher completion percentage in Philly than in his 4 years starting for the Jets. Did the lightbulb suddenly turn on for him, or was it the result of a strong system? The fact that Kelly is known for his clever offensive system means that Sanchez great year must be approached with skepticism, as being the result of a system. Consider Cassel: who had a great year in NE when Brady went down with injury and ever since then "meh" - did he just have an anomolous great year, or was it clever coaching and a strong system?

2) Ball security. Sanchez has 50 career fumbles and 80 career INTs in 70 career games. That's perilously close to 2 turnovers a game, just from the QB. It takes a lot of ball-hawking on D to overcome that kind of disadvantage. The point was made in a recent article that "ground and pound" requires that you don't turn the ball over. Sanchez picture is not on that card.

3) Even in his career-best year in Philly, he wasn't consistent. 2 good games, 2 bad games. If we want inconsistant play with 68% completion one week and 50% the next we can get that closer to home.

4) His attitude sucks. Entitled. Consider the following quote from 2010: "Following frustrating losses to the New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins, in which Sanchez’s play suffered, Ryan called for backup Mark Brunell to work with the starting unit in practice. Sanchez was irate with Ryan over the suggestion that his starting role was in danger. “I wanted to fight him. I was really mad,” Sanchez said."

Gee, Sanchez, maybe if your play sucks and the coach is considering benching you, you should like, you know, work harder in the film room and with the wideouts so you don't, you know, suck?

5) Reportedly, he requires a simplified offense and doesn't know how to react when his first read is covered: "Look for Sparano to scale back the playbook. Schottenheimer ran a high-volume offense and it overwhelmed Sanchez at times,” Cimini writes. “Sanchez also needs a quarterback coach who can help him better understand pass coverages. Too often he doesn’t know how to react when his first read is covered.” Well, there you go. Schottenheimer sure seemed to try to simplify things for Sanchez; all they threw were slants. The team showed how little they trusted Sanchez with their playcalling. When they did trust him, it didn’t go well.

Does this sound like a guy who can be a leader in the locker room and help young QB develop?

If Rex is happy enough with him to bring him to the Bills, that's good enough for me. At least as a stop-gap.

Actually, it's Rex happiness that concerns me. C'mon, it should concern you too. The stuff in the press about he'll be QB as long as I'm HC and the tattoo: that's taking loyalty to absurdity, you know it is.

I wouldn't mind Sanchize but based on rumors I think it will be a terrible veteran like Matt Cassel and then Jake Locker who has played well when healthy and has a lot of upside but is injury prone. Then maybe a project like Bryce Petty in the draft

You do know Cassel is not a free agent, right? The fact that the Vikes are letting Ponder walk suggests they may prefer him as a backup. Still, any player is available for a price - what do you think they should give up in trade for Cassel?

Impossible. Obviously not something I can prove, but it would be a tragedy if a Sanchez quality QB were backing up EJ ... a clear sign that we are committed to wasting our window on EJ. And don't get me wrong, Sanchez is not great. But he has no business backing up EJ (if if EJ somehow looked a little better in practice [which means little to nothing]).

Just to be clear, I'm against bringing in Sanchez and would rather roll with EJ this year

I just fail to see how rolling w/ EJ is an option for a team as good as this.

I don't see many other options. Use the cap space to support the starting QB with a quality o line and good targets. Yes, they new to bring someone in but I don't see any FA option as being clearly better than a guy who has been given 14 games over 2 seasons

I don't see many other options. Use the cap space to support the starting QB with a quality o line and good targets. Yes, they new to bring someone in but I don't see any FA option as being clearly better than a guy who has been given 14 games over 2 seasons

He's had 14 games in two seasons and was unplayable this year. At best, give him another 16-32 games and he can be reliably playable. More practically, he's a total bust. Sanchez last year >>>> EJ last year. We're too good right now as a franchise to not get that.

He's had 14 games in two seasons and was unplayable this year. At best, give him another 16-32 games and he can be reliably playable. More practically, he's a total bust. Sanchez last year >>>> EJ last year. We're too good right now as a franchise to not get that.

So far, every QB in Chip Kelly's system have been successful.

Actually, it's Rex happiness that concerns me. C'mon, it should concern you too. The stuff in the press about he'll be QB as long as I'm HC and the tattoo: that's taking loyalty to absurdity, you know it is.

Rex is half football coach, 25% showman, and 25% bull **** artist. You know that going in. But he should know Sanchize as good as anyone, so if he thinks Sanchize is the best available for the Bills right now, I'm willing to go along.

And all Bills fans should be concerned. Barring some amazing work from Whaley, the Bills will be lucky to have even a mediocre QB again next season.

Edited by CodeMonkey

This was obvious..the tattoo of his wife wearing a Sanchez jersey was not dramatically altered. All he elected to do was change the jersey color from green to blue. Can we assume that this was the plan all along? I mean, why bother unless there is a hidden agenda. Hmmm...

You do know Cassel is not a free agent, right? The fact that the Vikes are letting Ponder walk suggests they may prefer him as a backup. Still, any player is available for a price - what do you think they should give up in trade for Cassel?

Wouldn't give anything for him. The rumor was if he became available the Bills would go for him. If he's not cut then no way. They want someone like him so they are probably hoping some team cuts a veteran backup with starting experience