Russell Wilson and the Seahawks negotiations (update:signed)

YoloinOhio

He is elite. This is too easy.

Because his team doesn't need to have him throw 50 times a game doesn't take away from his elite performance. He is a play creator--you should watch him. He's got excellent mobility, vision and is calm out of the pocket. He's extremely intelligent and knows where everyone is.

As for never playing from behind, he has 10 4th Q comebacks in only 3 years--more than Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck. He is also ahead of Rodgers, Luck in game winning drives----for their careers.

Given that his defense has led the league in fewest points allowed every season that he has been in the league, i am not sure come from behind victories are quite as impressive as the shootouts some of those other guys get into.

i do agree hes a very good player, and i think you are able to handle the difference between disliking the player and disliking that stat, but if isolating some talk about that particular stat, it would seem that in theory, he shouldnt be behind very often with that defense if hes playing well the first 3 quarters.

at risk of really opening a can of worms in the discussion because it is a lightning rod name.... it reads almost "tebow-esque" to hear that a QB has a ton of come from behind late wins but a defense thats allowed 15ppg their entire career. obviously id rather wilson than tebow, but i think you get why that stat rang out a bit weird when reading it. i still think hes top 10 in the league, and young, and will be a top paid player. just an odd stat given circumstance. might be easily explained when digging into those 10 specific games.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that his defense has led the league in fewest points allowed every season that he has been in the league, i am not sure come from behind victories are quite as impressive as the shootouts some of those other guys get into.

i do agree hes a very good player, and i think you are able to handle the difference between disliking the player and disliking that stat, but if isolating some talk about that particular stat, it would seem that in theory, he shouldnt be behind very often with that defense if hes playing well the first 3 quarters.

at risk of really opening a can of worms in the discussion because it is a lightning rod name.... it reads almost "tebow-esque" to hear that a QB has a ton of come from behind late wins but a defense thats allowed 15ppg their entire career. obviously id rather wilson than tebow, but i think you get why that stat rang out a bit weird when reading it. i still think hes top 10 in the league, and young, and will be a top paid player. just an odd stat given circumstance. might be easily explained when digging into those 10 specific games.

Yeah, he was likely "coming from behind" by 3 or fewer points most times.

elite = Top 10

i'd say russell wilson is easily Top 15, almost Top 10.

pay the man $20-25 mil/yr

I don't see how top 10 means elite. If a guy is one of the 10 best starting QBs, that puts him in the top 31%; not what I think of when I think of "elite".

Elite means "a select part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities" by definition. For me, the only guys that qualify in that category are Rodgers, Brady, and (I know this one will draw the most criticism) Luck. Everyone else is a step behind those guys.

I would, however, put Wilson in the top 10, along with Big Ben, Brees, Manning, Matt Ryan, Rivers, and Eli.

It's not just that stat that makes him a great QB. I used it to correct the other poster's claim that he doesn't have to win games from behind. He has.

There is nothing at all similar in the games of Tebow and Wilson, unfortunately for Tebow.

Yeah, he was likely "coming from behind" by 3 or fewer points most times.

pro football reference stats describes 4th Q comebacks as "offensive scoring drive in the 4th quarter with the team trailing by one score".

3 or 7 point s really makes no difference. It's a silly hair to split.

elite = Top 10

i'd say russell wilson is easily Top 15, almost Top 10.

pay the man $20-25 mil/yr

There really aren't 10 QBs you would pick ahead of Wilson right now, are there?

Since people love passing stats - here are an easy 10 in the last 2 seasons.

Brady**, Rodgers, Luck, Big Ben, Peyton, Brees, Flacco, Stafford, Romo(?), Rivers.

Not to mention Matt Ryan, Tannehill, and Eli

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/year/2014/seasontype/2

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/year/2013

pro football reference stats describes 4th Q comebacks as "offensive scoring drive in the 4th quarter with the team trailing by one score".

3 or 7 points really makes no difference. It's a silly hair to split.

:lol:

Silly indeed.

I don't see how top 10 means elite. If a guy is one of the 10 best starting QBs, that puts him in the top 31%; not what I think of when I think of "elite".

Elite means "a select part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities" by definition. For me, the only guys that qualify in that category are Rodgers, Brady, and (I know this one will draw the most criticism) Luck. Everyone else is a step behind those guys.

I would, however, put Wilson in the top 10, along with Big Ben, Brees, Manning, Matt Ryan, Rivers, and Eli.

He has an elite arm. He has elite running and mobility skills. He has elite decision making skills IMO (others would argue not), he has elite leadership skills as evidenced by the big games he has won and played well in in his short career. He has an elite record whether the QB is responsible or not. To me he is an elite QB. He doesn't have a clear weakness at all.

He has an elite arm. He has elite running and mobility skills. He has elite decision making skills IMO (others would argue not), he has elite leadership skills as evidenced by the big games he has won and played well in in his short career. He has an elite record whether the QB is responsible or not. To me he is an elite QB. He doesn't have a clear weakness at all.

Um. Until the botched onside recovery led to a botched two-point conversion, Wilson's NFC Championship statline was: 10-25 for 103 yds 0 TD's and 4 INT's..and that was playing from behind.

I don't think a quarterback who shares as many elite qualities as you've detailed here was EVER had a statline that gaudy.

It also severely calls into question your evaluation of his 'elite decision making skills.'

This game was played at home.

Um. Until the botched onside recovery led to a botched two-point conversion, Wilson's NFC Championship statline was: 10-25 for 103 yds 0 TD's and 4 INT's..and that was playing from behind.

I don't think a quarterback who shares as many elite qualities as you've detailed here was EVER had a statline that gaudy.It also severely calls into question your evaluation of his 'elite decision making skills.'

This game was played at home.

In a history of ridiculous things to say that is right up there with the most ridiculous. He had just led them on a 70 yard drive and scored the TD before that. After that it was historic. And it won the trip to the Super Bowl... hardly anyone ever had a 6 minute stretch after that in the history of football. It happened in the championship game. Several amazing plays.

If you throw out those two 80 yard TD runs, the RB was horrible!

In a history of ridiculous things to say that is right up there with the most ridiculous. He had just led them on a 70 yard drive and scored the TD before that. After that it was historic. And it won the trip to the Super Bowl... hardly anyone ever had a 6 minute stretch after that in the history of football. It happened in the championship game. Several amazing plays.

If you throw out those two 80 yard TD runs, the RB was horrible!

It was a game they should have lost because of him. He made some terrific plays to help them win, but they were predicated by severe mistakes made by the Packers on plays that if executed properly--and in both instances that wasn't asking too much--could have/should have sealed a victory.

I love RW, but even so, I wouldn't "pay the man"... Maybe 15 million a year. Show me he can carry a team, and then I'll be impressed until then, that team, like the 70's Steelers was a team, it wasn't about one position, even QB.

Tim-

It was a game they should have lost because of him. He made some terrific plays to help them win, but they were predicated by severe mistakes made by the Packers on plays that if executed properly--and in both instances that wasn't asking too much--could have/should have sealed a victory.

I can't agree with the bolded. Only one one of the four picks (all Kearse targets) was solely his fault. Two of the picks hit Kearse right in the hands and were tipped to defenders. The other was a jump ball to the pylon where Kearse didn't even really make a play on the ball. His effort on that play was pathetic. He was called out for it by the analysts.

Except it happened. What if the plays he made at the end of the game were in the third period. The game happened. MAYBE if they were fluke passes or ones that should have been intercepted but bounced up and miraculously ended up in his WR hands I could almost agree. But they were amazing plays just when you needed them.

"ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — In the third quarter, Jim Kelly had more interceptions than completions. Still, one of the worst games of his career didn't rattle him or the Buffalo Bills.

Kelly completed only four of 21 passes for 176 yards, but a 77-yard touchdown pass play to Russell Copeland finally got the offense moving in a 31-9 victory over the Carolina Panthers on Sunday.

Kelly was one of 14 for four yards with three interceptions when he connected with Copeland over the middle for Buffalo's first score. The Bills followed with three quick touchdowns after going to their no-huddle offense.

"I had a feeling that I had more interceptions than completions," Kelly said. "I started pressing and trying to make plays that weren't there."