Don't expect Spikes or Searcy back

YoloinOhio

There are a limited number of Safeties in the draft and in FA. Searcy will probably get overpaid because of it. He's a good player but not sure if he is all pro.

The Bills would like to keep him Henderson said he would ike to have him back but the reality is that teams have budgets per position and don't break it if possible. They invested in Aaron Williams already. This is the reason why they didn't pay Byrd.

Paying guys like Hughes and Dareus makes a ton more sense because it all starts up front anyway. Kyle/Mario aren't getting any younger so you need other people.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're making too much of it. Whaley could just as easily have said, "film don't lie." He treated Spikes like an adult and encouraged him to shop the market.

Definitely not trying to make it a big deal, was simply replying to the "I think it was respectful" post. It's part of the business and is what it is.... I just think it qualies as a bit of aggressive public gamesmanship. In private the direct honesty is surely appreciated, with a microphone in front of him it's either calculated or unneeded and not dialogue with the player Edited by NoSaint

I believe Manny definitely has a spot on this roster especially if Hughes leaves. I can see Rex using Manny in the Calvin Pace role those 2 players are very comparable skill set wise.

2 yrs ago Manny performed admirably in Pettine system notching 4 sacks and over 10 QB hits. I'm not saying he's JH level but if he started in this defense can he get those 10 sacks that Jerry got but can save 6-7 mil in the process. Even if he gets 8 sacks and notches a respectable QB hurries, hits numbers I think it's worth the savings. Don't forget fellas Randell Johnson looked pretty good last preseason so DW might want to see what we have in him also

Manny took a major step back this year in his work against the run. Yes, it wasn't his ideal scheme but that doesn't impact his inability to shed blocks at the point of attack. I think he's done personally, his performance this year was dismal. If you need any reminders, watch the Denver game and see how they attacked Lawson the moment Hughes got benched. If they keep him around I'll be shocked and rooting for him to get back to his old self, but from what I saw on the all 22s this season I wouldn't hold your breath.

Manny took a major step back this year in his work against the run. Yes, it wasn't his ideal scheme but that doesn't impact his inability to shed blocks at the point of attack. I think he's done personally, his performance this year was dismal. If you need any reminders, watch the Denver game and see how they attacked Lawson the moment Hughes got benched. If they keep him around I'll be shocked and rooting for him to get back to his old self, but from what I saw on the all 22s this season I wouldn't hold your breath.

What's the split on how much his hand was in the dirt 13 vs 14? Could make a big difference

yup. when you have a great unit you have to identify the core and be willing to cycle the role players if they get over valued - find yourself a bargain and watch him overperform due to talent around him instead of paying a premium. thats why id be good with a mid tier vet instead of the top 15 pay (ie top 15 out of 64 starters as they were lumping free and strong) that 5-6m would be

Very well said. I like it...

just occurred to me but I think it is interesting that someone like Pettine would value Searcy and Ryan would not. The grasshopper holds more to the safety position then the teacher.

what did Pettine say about him?

I don't think Rex doesn't value him as a player in his scheme. I just think he/Whaley don't value him at 5-6/yr.

what did Pettine say about him?

I don't think Rex doesn't value him as a player in his scheme. I just think he/Whaley don't value him at 5-6/yr.

And i dont think thats how much he can get.

Closer to 4.

have we discussed who is hot and heavy for him ?

Whether it's a 4-3 or 3-4, the Bills will need 3 solid LB at most. With Kiko coming back and the emergence of Bradham and Brown, I don't see the Bills needing to beg Spikes to return. Esepcially with him being a liablity on 3rd down with the other guys being younger and more athletic. Based on Whaley's comments it seems he sees it the same way.

I still think the Bills need to bring in some solid depth and I see Ryan doing that. Whether it's FA or draft we'll see. But Ryan seems pretty good at identifying defensive talent. If he wanted Spikes back they would be making the same effort they are making with Hughes (at a much cheaper rate).

just occurred to me but I think it is interesting that someone like Pettine would value Searcy and Ryan would not. The grasshopper holds more to the safety position then the teacher.

Link?

Also Pettine doesn't run a defense as well as Ryan does so I would rather takes Ryan's word of a player over Pettine's TBH.

Edited by Beef Jerky