Two plays changed everything for two quarterbacks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ has had some good plays that make you think, ok maybe he can do this but I have to admit I had got to the point last year I was happy to see Orton come in. I too think he had lost his confidence and the receivers trust. It looks like he just needs to go out and have fun again. I think he put to much pressure on himself but by far the best thing to happen to him was marrone leaving. With Rex he now has a second chance and I hope he makes the best of it.

pick six by JJ Watt...

It's funny, I remember that play and many on the board upholding this one play as clear evidence EJ will never be an NFL qb ever. Two weeks later, Andrew luck made the SAME EXACT throw to the flat against the Texans. Watt easily got both hands on the ball and dropped what was a sure 60 or 70 yard pick 6 in almost the same place on the field. No one for a minute suggested it meant anything about luck.

It's funny, I remember that play and many on the board upholding this one play as clear evidence EJ will never be an NFL qb ever. Two weeks later, Andrew luck made the SAME EXACT throw to the flat against the Texans. Watt easily got both hands on the ball and dropped what was a sure 60 or 70 yard pick 6 in almost the same place on the field. No one for a minute suggested it meant anything about luck.

I remember that play, Brees almost fell victim of Watt as well last year on a similar play.

I was at the Arizona game and could not have had a better seat - 25 yard line 15 rows up - to see the size of the hole Adrian Wilson (an awesome player by the way) burst through and demolish Edwards. Of course the Steve Christie missed field goal chip shot in the final seconds at qualcom that would have landed in my lap was still fresh in my mind, so I had no doubt that the 4-0 Bills were going to dissapoint me again that Sunday in Arizona. Kurt Warner was masterful and picked the weak Bills defense completely apart. The one thing that amazed me was Losman launching one not one inch less than 65 yards through the air to hit Evans? for an 80 yard touchdown. That dude slung it around in his day.

When Watt was stomping down the field with the ball, all I thought was Oh great, this replay will be in circulation until he puts on the yellow jacket. But I really haven't seen it that much. Small victories.

I used to believe that EJ kind of had an "it" factor. He seemed to win games and keep the Bills competitive. He isn't accurate, but last year I thought hey, maybe like a junk ball pitcher, he could strike some people out and be a winner. Of course all of those feelings are gone now...his confidence is shot, and it would take a mighty big man to make good on the draft pick reach by the Bills.

All in all. Those two plays were very typical of this organization since Kelly left and took his magic with him. I don't feel that either interrupted a trip back to the playoffs. They had no bearing on the continous crap that followed for they were both crap themselves. Make me eat those words, EJ.

How about the play that EJ made to Goodwin in the flats where Goodwin got blown up? That play ended EJ's season as the rest of the receivers quit and would not trust him again. Sammy refused to go all out after that. It also sidelined Goodwin for a while and he has never been the same either. Getting the receiver's trust again will more than anything determine whether EJ has a future.

This is spot on. EJ had to be benched because the receivers were quitting on balls. Not sure how that is going to change.

One was the hit placed upon Trent Edwards by Adrian Wilson, the safety from the Arizona Cardinals. Our team was 4-0 and looking pretty good. Edwards was not great, but he was good enough to get them to that game undefeated for the first 4-0 record in years. On one of the first plays of the game, Wilson came through and knocked Edwards into the future. He was never the same.

He never got it back.

Last year the play that ruined the season of EJ Manuel was the pick six by JJ Watt. Prior to that play, EJ was good but not great, and was progressing like one might expect from the 16th pick in the previous draft.....not a franchise quarterback, but one who needs a couple years to get up to speed. We were ready to score against the Texans, and he threw that pass that Watt, well, you saw it.

He was not the only player to be made to look foolish by JJ Watt.

As a result, Saint Doug took it upon himself to declare that EJ Manuel is no longer the quarterback of the Buffalo Bills. One play changed everything.

The difference is that Edwards was actually injured on the play, and perhaps that injury led to his long-term mediocrity. EJ Manuel made a mistake. People make them in games. All quarterbacks make mistakes. The way to measure the quality of a leader is to look at how he responds after he gets back up. EJ never was given that chance.

Since he was not hurt, I think that he paid an unfair price for making a bad throw to the best defensive player in the NFL. Next time he won't make that throw, and the Bills go on to win the game.

This is not an EJ thread. It's a thread about redemption. One guy's malady was physical. The other guy got beat by a great player. Maybe he should have not endured such a consequence.

I agree about the Trent Edwards discussion concerning the "severe" concussion Edwards suffered in Arizona, and so many fans just don't understand what happens after that type of play. If that same hit happened in a current game the player would not only have been flagged for a helmet to helmet hit, and he then drove him into the turf. Wilson probably would have been fined and perhaps even suspended. Then Edwards would have been forced to sit out several games due to the latest concussion protocols.

Think of a deep bruise on your body, and think of what happens when you get hit again on that same spot. Player are sometimes benched because of those deep bruises and what can happen as a result of getting that area hit again. Only this time realize that its a human brain suffering this bruise. Sometimes after a serious severe concussion symptoms don't manifest right away, and then when they do they can linger for months. With each hit you become more susceptible to damaging the brain. If you have ever been "knocked out" in a fight, or in a car accident then you have suffered a concussion! The more times you have been concussed, then the more susceptible you become to getting them.

To the fans that simply don't recall that start of the 2008 season in which the Bills started 5-1, and so many fans in this forum were frothing over how good Edwards could be. Many were comparing him to a young Joe Montana, and even Bill Walsh stated he thought Edwards could become a top QB. Edwards finished that season 7-7, and if not for that concussion the Bills might have found their QB IMHO. But then, it has never been just about the QB for the last 15 years, as its always been a very poor supporting cast around him. Mostly bad lines.

The 2007 year the Bills had 28 year vet line coach Jim McNally, as the man who developed Bengals LT Anthony Munoz, and a Bills walk on TE into one of the very best LT's in the league. McNally retired at the end of 2007, and as usual HC Dickhead Jauron promoted a Bills assistant to the job in 2008.

In terms of EJ, he had an absolute moron as his offensive coordinator the last two years and then didn't even have a veteran QB or a QB coach to lean on his first year. Then last season that moron of an OC went pass happy during the Chargers game in week 3. Asking EJ to throw 40+ times a game behind that craptastic O line was even beyond moronic for the moron . The man was so stupid he couldn't figure out how to build an effective run game so he threw the 2nd year QB under the bus, and then ran over him multiple times.

EJ looked truly horrible in the next game against the Texans because in this game EJ was forced to throw 44 times, and right into the fierce pass rush of JJ Watt. Anyone recall how poorly Tom Brady looked against the Chiefs in their week 4 41-14 drubbing, and how the dynasty was over? Contrary to the Marrone / Hackett belief the 2nd year QB can't do it all by himself. EJ has only played in 14 regular season games so far, and its still early to decide his fate especially considering who was coaching him.

Hopefully new Bills OC Greg Roman will build a power run game to help support the QB, and actually make first downs with the run game. That is provided the Bills build a better O line for 2015.

OP here. Thanks to you guys who pointed out the reality, which is that my brain isn't working very well today.

Hoping for the best from EJ. His 2013 highlight reel is pretty good.

Get the line so we can run again and we are set. Go Bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Living in Ohio, that play still makes my blood boil, especially the way the Browns were talking about "they took our guy out, so we were going to take theirs out" during and after the game. Hoyer gets hurt on a freak play because he doesn't know how to slide properly so the Browns D puts out a hit on EJ, meanwhile no one in the national media cares because it's Browns-Bills. I hate Tashaun Gipson.

It's funny that the hoyer hit was hoyer's fault, but the ej one wasn't. Did you even watch that play? Ej was lucky he didn't hurt himself more. It was a completely careless play by him and he deserved what he got. He just dangled his leg out there asking for a guy to crush him.

It's funny that the hoyer hit was hoyer's fault, but the ej one wasn't. Did you even watch that play? Ej was lucky he didn't hurt himself more. It was a completely careless play by him and he deserved what he got. He just dangled his leg out there asking for a guy to crush him.

I think the bills, or just kiko, retaliated. EJ could have gotten hurt a lot worse and it was his fault but the CB was gunning for his knees on that play. Hoyer was the victim of that player trying to take out our QB.

One was the hit placed upon Trent Edwards by Adrian Wilson, the safety from the Arizona Cardinals. Our team was 4-0 and looking pretty good. Edwards was not great, but he was good enough to get them to that game undefeated for the first 4-0 record in years. On one of the first plays of the game, Wilson came through and knocked Edwards into the future. He was never the same.

He never got it back.

Last year the play that ruined the season of EJ Manuel was the pick six by JJ Watt. Prior to that play, EJ was good but not great, and was progressing like one might expect from the 16th pick in the previous draft.....not a franchise quarterback, but one who needs a couple years to get up to speed. We were ready to score against the Texans, and he threw that pass that Watt, well, you saw it.

He was not the only player to be made to look foolish by JJ Watt.

As a result, Saint Doug took it upon himself to declare that EJ Manuel is no longer the quarterback of the Buffalo Bills. One play changed everything.

The difference is that Edwards was actually injured on the play, and perhaps that injury led to his long-term mediocrity. EJ Manuel made a mistake. People make them in games. All quarterbacks make mistakes. The way to measure the quality of a leader is to look at how he responds after he gets back up. EJ never was given that chance.

Since he was not hurt, I think that he paid an unfair price for making a bad throw to the best defensive player in the NFL. Next time he won't make that throw, and the Bills go on to win the game.

This is not an EJ thread. It's a thread about redemption. One guy's malady was physical. The other guy got beat by a great player. Maybe he should have not endured such a consequence.

Actually Trent played great the week after beating Philip Rivers and SD in Buffalo, I had Direct TV (I live in So. Cal.) and a kids balloon hit a transformer and we missed half the game. Only in Buffalo.

Injuries happen in football. Still amazed that wasn't a season ender. If he does ever get back I the line up I don't expect we will see that.

That spin move he does however... That looks like a knee injury every time he does it...

I think the bills, or just kiko, retaliated. EJ could have gotten hurt a lot worse and it was his fault but the CB was gunning for his knees on that play. Hoyer was the victim of that player trying to take out our QB.

I had thought Hoyer got hurt first?