Do Today's Bills win a Super Bowl with heyday Jim Kelly

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BobChalmers brings up a good point. The OP did put Kelly in the current NFL, completing against today's teams. So not just 90 Bills vs 2015 Bills + Kelly. Physically, Kelly 6'3" 220lbs could still play.

Does the 1990 team even win a game today if they hopped in a time machine and took the field? It was 25 years ago guys

Edited by Thrivefourfive

Put Kelly in his prime on this team, in this era NFL, with this coach, with this owner - Do the Bills win it all?

Do they win it with Kelly after the up coming draft/FA signings? My answer is, no. That tells me how far away the Bills are. They need a stud runningback, a big improvement at TE, and a whole lot better o-line. For comparison, the current defense put on the 90 Bills win the Super Bowl by 50 points.

Wow, man, way to diss a whole bunch of greats (Bruce Smith, Biscuit Bennett, Talley, Conlan, and an oft-underappreciated Jeff Wright and secondary) I appreciate your love of last year's D but I really don't think so.

Wow, man, way to diss a whole bunch of greats (Bruce Smith, Biscuit Bennett, Talley, Conlan, and an oft-underappreciated Jeff Wright and secondary) I appreciate your love of last year's D but I really don't think so.

Idk about 50 points but I think he's right about it being better. 90s team gave up a lot of runs up the middle. And the secondary was small and couldn't handle big WRs like Irvin. Overall it was too easy to pick on Bruce with multiple sweeps to his side because there was no one else you really had go game plan for. Contrast that to current squad thats stout up the middle and can bring pressure from many angles, as evidenced by single season sack record. Edited by JTSP

I'm not sure the current team with Jim Kelly could win the AFC let alone a SB....the offensive line is awful - virtually no running game to speak of...Kelly was relatively un-mobile and I think he's be spending a fair amount of time on his rear end....The teams of the SB years were so strong at all three phases of the game.

Would they win in it all in the 2015 season, probably not. I think given a year or two to mold with Sammy, and you keep this d together (even if you lose Hughes), i think yes. Awesome topic by the way!

Great post!!

The "heyday Bills" didn't win a Super Bowl with Jim Kelly, so what you're really asking is - - is the rest of the current Bills team (sans QB) better than Kelly's teammates in the "heyday."

No way.

The current Bills are improving, but it's not even close.

Great topic!

The "heyday Bills" didn't win a Super Bowl with Jim Kelly, so what you're really asking is - - is the rest of the current Bills team (sans QB) better than Kelly's teammates in the "heyday."

No way.

The current Bills are improving, but it's not even close.

No that's not what was asked. If it was, I'd agree with you. DT is probably the only position where the 2015 Bills are better. The 90's Bills were better at literally all 11 positions on offense.

I interpret the question as "does Jim Kelly in his prime, transported to today win a SB with this supporting cast?" and in the FA era, the answer is yes or at least maybe. The talent in the league is much more spread out now than back then when a few teams had all the talent.

Another way to understand it - do the 2014/15 Bills with Aaron Rodgers at QB win a SB? Not a given, but they would certainly be live.

We just watched two very flawed teams compete for the title this year.

Edited by BobChalmers

This team went 9 - 7 with Kyle Orton at quarterback. Most of those losses were completely winnable (with competent QB play). That's why this season was so frustrating. With Jim Kelly at QB, I'd argue that we would've won against the Texans, Chiefs, Dolphins, Broncos and Raiders. That would've put us at 14 - 2 this year. I don't think it's stretch to say that.

Do we win the Superbowl? Can't say. But we'd be an elite team in my opinion.

I can't say YES or NO definitively. But if this current team added a HOF QB, I would expect at least a deep run in the playoffs. The postseason is such a tricky thing, all it takes is one bad day... Which in hindsight, makes the the 1990-1993 Bills that much more impressive.

Or because pro sports has an obsession with perfection and given the fact the Bills never won the "big one," he's not in the discussion.

unfortunately marino is in said discussion...

then again marino had better stats for the most part

Kelly was vastly under-rated IMO, even most Bills fans didn't realize how good he was.

- strong arm: could make all the throws

- accurate: didn't miss many throws or open guys

- mobile: could roll out and scramble to avoid sacks

- smart: called his own plays and ran the no-huddle

- leader: guys play hard for him

- winner: he put the onus on the franchise to invest in the talent to build a winner

- resourceful: this will be controversial to some, but I dont think the talent around him was as great as people think. reed was great in the slot, but he wasn't a true deep threat -- most big plays were YAC. never really had a long term deep threat as lofton was near the end, and beebe was a poor man's goodwin. thurman was versatile, but it took kelly to maximize it. line was better run blocking than pass blocking. sans the line, i think the offensive personel in WRs and RBs as a group were better in 2014 than what he had to work with

note how many different targets he utilized

Edited by JTSP

Kelly was vastly under-rated IMO, even most Bills fans didn't realize how good he was.

- strong arm: could make all the throws

- accurate: didn't miss many throws or open guys

- mobile: could roll out and scramble to avoid sacks

- smart: called his own plays and ran the no-huddle

- leader: guys play hard for him

- winner: he put the onus on the franchise to invest in the talent to build a winner

- resourceful: this will be controversial to some, but I dont think the talent around him was as great as people think. reed was great in the slot, but he wasn't a true deep threat -- most big plays were YAC. never really had a long term deep threat as lofton was near the end, and beebe was a poor man's goodwin. thurman was versatile, but it took kelly to maximize it. line was better run blocking than pass blocking. sans the line, i think the offensive personel in WRs and RBs as a group were better in 2014 than what he had to work with

note how many different targets he utilized

I can't decide whether I love those blue face-masks or hate them. I wouldn't mind seeing them for a game or two to help me decide.

Could they have won a SB? Sure.

Would they have won a SB? No way to say.

One thing I thought watching the playoffs and Pats* winning the SB this year: if you put yourself into the playoffs, you have a chance. The Pats have been putting themselves in the playoffs for the past ten years so they were due for the lucky bounce (or bonehead coaches decision) that delivered a title.

The Bills w/ Kelly would be a playoff team and that would give them a reasonable chance, and that's all you can ask for.

No of course not. As much as I loved that era and watching that team, the fact is Kelly couldnt win the big one. That will always be his legacy.

Exactly! We all love Jim & especially his love for WNY & the human struggles he has endured, BUT he was 0-4, and an atrocious 0-4 at that. I will always remember when Thurman on his own bad TV show, said the one area the team could improve at was QB.

Put Kelly in his prime on this team, in this era NFL, with this coach, with this owner - Do the Bills win it all?

Do they win it with Kelly after the up coming draft/FA signings? My answer is, no. That tells me how far away the Bills are. They need a stud runningback, a big improvement at TE, and a whole lot better o-line. For comparison, the current defense put on the 90 Bills win the Super Bowl by 50 points.

Kelly would have won a SB with that 2004 team. Elite defense with some great WRs (Both WRs had 1000+ yards) and an average Drew Bledsoe couldn't take us into the playoffs.

No. Not even close. Go back and watch those 1990s teams and see all the HOF players and All Pros that were playing together. The current team doesn't have the offense or defense to win it, even with Kelly. The current D is very good but not Super Bowl-winning good. I didn't feel this strongly until I recently watched the 1992 49ers No Punt game. Those Bills teams were loaded on all three phases.

WHAT???? Seriously about the D?

This D is certainly better than NE (just won the bowl).

Along with many of the recent Super Bowl winners not named Seahawks or Ravens