What Level of QB Play is Required for 2015?

Flip Johnson

We all want to know how far the Bills are from making the playoffs. Rex has already stated his opinion that an elite quarterback is not necessary to be a contender. We know from his history that this statement is both true (Dilfer, Sanchez) and risky (his last four season with the Jets). In other words, it is not impossible to make the playoffs without a good QB, but it isn't easy and it should be your longterm gameplan.

With that in mind, I made my personal list of how I would rank teams in the AFC at the end of the year. This is based on the end of 2014, not any recent moves. Then I ranked the quarterbacks. Again, this is based on past performance, not on how I think they will do in 2015.

While there's a degree of subjectivity to my rankings, I think you'll see that there isn't much discrepancy between team/QB. They're generally very similar. The biggest gaps would be San Diego (9-7 is low with a QB as good as Rivers) and Buffalo (9-7 is high with QB play as bad as Orton/Manuel).

This begs the question - what level of mediocre QB play would suffice? I believe if the Bills had gotten mid-level QB play (i.e. Dalton/A.Smith/Tannehill) they would have won 10-11 games and made the playoffs. Let's stop dreaming about Brees, Manning, etc., and see if this team can get mid-level QB production. That would take them to the playoffs.

I believe this is Rex's short term plan, along with improving the already great defense. The long term plan will be to draft a QB. I also believe that while he knows this is not a way to win a Super Bowl it can work for one year, and that once you make the tournament, anything can happen (see '09, '10).

AFC Power Rankings

1. New England

2. Denver

3. Pittsburgh

4. Baltimore

5. Indianapolis

6. Cincinnati

7. San Diego

8. Buffalo

9. Kansas City

10. Houston

11. Miami

12. Cleveland

13. New York Jets

14. Oakland

15. Tennessee

16. Jacksonville

2014 QB Power Rankings

1. Brady

2. Manning

3. Roethlisberger

4. Rivers

5. Luck

6. Flacco

7. Dalton

8. Alex Smith

9. Tannehill

10. Fitzpatrick

11. Orton/Manuel

12. Hoyer

13. Carr

14. Geno Smith

15. Locker/Whitehurst

16. Bortles

Alex Smith and Tannehill are better than Dalton.

In my mind, Dalton represents the dividing line for QB play. If your guy is better than Dalton, there's a good chance you can make the playoffs and perhaps even win a few rounds. If your QB is worse than Dalton, temper your expectations.

Here's another way of getting at this. Kyle Orton performed at the level of around the 25th-best QB in the NFL. If he had played at a top 18 or top 20 level they could have made the playoffs. When we talk about FA QBs that is what I am thinking of. Given the offensive pieces that are in place and given Rex/Roman's philosophy, who could play at at top 18 or 20 level?

Yeah Dalton is definitely below Tanny and Smith in my mind...I would say we could make the playoffs with either of those guys, and possibly with Dalton or Orton level production again. Sadly, Hoyer or Sanchez might be our best bets, with Grayson or somebody else (who knows) in the draft to give us hope for the future.

I don't know where else to put this but ... Doomed.

@ESPNStatsInfo: Since 2006, every NFL team except one has had at least one season when its QB posted a Total QBR of 55+

The exception? The Bills

Unless EJ makes quite the jump, we're probably not gonna hit that mark anytime soon :(

I'm thinking like this...

Rex, especially with Kiko coming back, will make the D a little better.

Danny Crossman will keep the ST in the Top Five.

Greg Roman, especially with some new starters on the OL, will establish a capable running attack.

With all that, we can Trent Dilfer our way into the playoffs.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I'm thinking like this...

Rex, especially with Kiko coming back, will make the D a little better.

Danny Crossman will keep the ST in the Top Five.

Greg Roman, especially with some new starters on the OL, will establish a capable running attack.

With all that, we can Trent Dilfer our way into the playoffs.

yes...remember when Alex Smith was a tire fire in SF ?...Harbaugh and Roman made him serviceable...could happen with EJ or whomever under Roman

yes...remember when Alex Smith was a tire fire in SF ?...Harbaugh and Roman made him serviceable...could happen with EJ or whomever under Roman

Smith was a very good prospect who took some time to adapt to the NFL. EJ was a so so prospect who luckily, for him, got drafted much too high.