How has this winter been

Ice bowl 67

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's !@#$ing 18 degrees out right now in Buffalo. This is ridiculous. I love cold weather and snow - in the winter! Not in the spring.

Seeing that it started with 8 feet of snow in mid-November, this is by far the longest, most sustained winter I ever remember.

Cold in Richmond yesterday as well, high of like 42. I was cutting the grass with gloves on LOL. Son went to Kings Dominion and some rides were closed cause it was too cold.

Warmer today with high around 50, then we arm up next week , in the 60's every day.

Still waiting for a stretch of my quarter mile drive to melt. Have over a 18 inches of rock hard icey snow . It would beak something on my plow truck or tractor to try and deal with it. Have to park my wifes car on top of the hill ,because running beside the road has turned to rutted mud. Worst year ever ,for this. Been here 13yrs.

Been below average here temp wise, but everything seems to be right on schedule w/the spring. So I guess it is average. All the ice left weeks ago, fisherman are out in their boats for the spring coho. Recreational boats will be getting to their harbors by April 15th... Earlier if they want to pay extra.

This is how they powerline (picture: fire extinguisher powered trot line) off the breakwaters/harbors now that ice has been out. From the very warm winter of 2012:

Gonna start getting warmer here. Going to be mid-50's into the mid-60's this week: PEFECT. Raw this morning, just stepped out and it feels nice 50 now!

Stiff off-shore breeze from the S-SW is pushing all the water out. The elevation of the river on The Lake Side is 2 feet lower! w/that, all the water has to be piling up on the Northeastern shore of Lake Michigan.

I saw a seiche come through a bunch of Christmas' ago and the system was so strong it made the river drop 5-6 feet!!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

40 today and supposed to be 62 on Thursday. Last time it was over 60 was the one day after the November storm when all the snow melted The buds are out on the true next door (we have evergreens).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, yesterday we received the first snow of the year, here on the South Island of New Zealand.

I know that a lot of you, up north, had to endure an incredibly bad winter this year, so I thought I'd mention that you can all officially relax now.

It's the southern hemispheres turn to bear the burden.

Pleased with mine here in Dallas Fort Worth. About 3 rounds of sleet/ice/snow.

Just enough to feel you had winter but streets were passable.

My grandfather served some time in the military in the dallas area when young. He says if he had to chose between hell and Texas,he would chose hell. Too damn hot.