This week's source deep within

YoloinOhio

I challenge anyone calling Chandler a #2 tight end to list 32 better tight ends in the league right now. Guys like Ebron are debatable because all there is to go on is athleticism.

Gronk

Graham

Julius Thomas

Clay

Cameron

Vernon Davis

Witten

Pitta

Olson

Rudolph

Gates

Ertz

Bennett

Miller

Kelce

Eifert

Fleener

Daniels

Cook

Gresham

That's 20 before getting into debates with ebron, pettigrew, Tim wright, walker, Lewis, celek, reed etc....

He's one of the worst 5 or so starters but as someone else mentioned a top #2 prospect

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gronk

Graham

Julius Thomas

Clay

Cameron

Vernon Davis

Witten

Pitta

Olson

Rudolph

Gates

Ertz

Bennett

Miller

Kelce

Eifert

Fleener

Daniels

Cook

Gresham

That's 20 before getting into debates with ebron, pettigrew, Tim wright, walker, Lewis, celek, reed etc....

He's one of the worst 5 or so starters but as someone else mentioned a top #2 prospect

Based on what metrics? Scotty was 18th in yards (ahead of many on that list, including orange Julius). 7th (!!!!!!!) in plays 20+ yards, more than Graham, Cameron etc. and tied with Olsen, Ertz etc. TD's he's at 22, again, tied with Clay, Ertz, Miller, Wilson, beating folks like Amaro, Cameron, Rudolph, Celek, Bostick.

Put me in the camp that thinks that most people watch Graham and Gronk highlights and think that the Bills are the only team without that kind of player. Scotty is right at #15ish. Sammy Watkins couldn't get 1000 yards with this offense, don't blame Scott because he doesn't put up Gronk numbers.

Based on what metrics? Scotty was 18th in yards (ahead of many on that list, including orange Julius). 7th (!!!!!!!) in plays 20+ yards, more than Graham, Cameron etc. and tied with Olsen, Ertz etc. TD's he's at 22, again, tied with Clay, Ertz, Miller, Wilson, beating folks like Amaro, Cameron, Rudolph, Celek, Bostick.

Put me in the camp that thinks that most people watch Graham and Gronk highlights and think that the Bills are the only team without that kind of player. Scotty is right at #15ish. Sammy Watkins couldn't get 1000 yards with this offense, don't blame Scott because he doesn't put up Gronk numbers.

In the "Id trade chandler for all of them because they are better" metric or the "if you had to assemble a team to win Sunday who would you pick" metric

Chandler is a nice piece but he can't be a centerpiece. He's not fast, he's not strong, doesn't block well enough if he's not a dynamic threat, plays smaller than his size (doesn't go up for balls, shield guys, block, or break tackles like he should).

He's the Kyle orton of tight ends, so it's not surprising you'll go down on the ship with him instead of agreeing he's a good #2

Edited by NoSaint

Here's Massare's source this week. Enjoy it with the requisite grain of coarse sea salt.

@KevinMassare: First things first "We are expecting to get a Sunday or Monday night football game this year as well as our Thursday game"

@KevinMassare: Source: "Coach Ryan has brought us a lot of attention. He expects Incognito to start day 1, and to keep clean in the locker room."

@KevinMassare: Source : "We are still in the process of looking for a football operations guy to help assess the Roster, has to be approved by coach".

@KevinMassare: Source: " Hard to focus on much else, Hughes has been a priority in the building. We can start actively talking next week".

@KevinMassare: Source: "a big receiving threat to help out offense will be addressed. It could come in form of WR/TE, top of our priority list".

@KevinMassare: "We are looking for another pure DL run stopper in our defensive fronts, Rex has made that clear."

@KevinMassare: Source: "I can't name names, but all avenues are being exhausted for QBs this offseason, we expect strong competition this season".

@KevinMassare: Source "Naturally plans could change if Revis walks, him and Gilmore would give us an unstoppable defense, not expected to sniff waters tho"

@KevinMassare: Source: "we have plans in place when it comes to futures of Dareus and Gilmore, I can tell you guys that".

He added that the SNF or MNF game was implied to be a home game

Here's the FA list of DTs

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-tackle/

Oh?

@KevinMassare: Like I've been told in the past though. They definitely look at Twitter/message boards. Use it in trade talks all the time.

I read this one of two ways: either a big named receiver and/or a big sized receiver. A big sized receiver without a big contract makes sense to me but not the other. We already have Sammy and we have other priority needs.

Im glad that Rex sees things the same way I do regarding the run stop DT

Our defense is AWESOME......but the minute Marcel went out of the game with the injury our run defense which was really really stingy this year started leaking like a sieve......

We have to prevent that from happening

+1

Edited by juno999

Another metric- he was a vet free agent and signed only the 21st highest paying TE contract ($/year). And has a lot of better young guys on rookie deals being paid less, as an idea of what nfl GMs think of him

I'm not sure if the stats would bear this out, or not, but it seems to me that in the last couple/few seasons, Chandler's hands have become more reliable, with far fewer dropped passes. And, being 6'7" certainly gives him a height advantage. But, I do feel that he plays like he's afraid of getting hurt. I can't remember ever seeing his feet leave the ground when making a catch.

Edited by Rocky Landing

I'm not sure if the stats would bear this out, or not, but it seems to me that in the last couple/few seasons, Chandler's hands have become more reliable, with far fewer dropped passes. And, being 6'7" certainly gives him a height advantage. But, I do feel that he plays like he's afraid of getting hurt. I can't remember ever seeing his feet leave the ground when making a catch.

Because he's 6'7"!!

I like Chandler the pass catcher

But that guy gets thrown around in blocking like a small wide receiver.......we need better then that.

In the "Id trade chandler for all of them because they are better" metric or the "if you had to assemble a team to win Sunday who would you pick" metric

Chandler is a nice piece but he can't be a centerpiece. He's not fast, he's not strong, doesn't block well enough if he's not a dynamic threat, plays smaller than his size (doesn't go up for balls, shield guys, block, or break tackles like he should).

He's the Kyle orton of tight ends, so it's not surprising you'll go down on the ship with him instead of agreeing he's a good #2

You wound me.

So you think they are all better talents or athletes? Why do they not perform better?

I agree that Chandler isn't a top 10 at any one skill. He's a jack of all trades sort of player.

The stats bear out that he's right around 15-19 and that's where I'd put him. The "argument" about #1 vs. #2 is a crap argument. I'd wager just about all of the folks calling Chandler a "good" #2 have watched little of Celek, Gresham etc. The whole "we need a TE who can always get open and creates mismatches" argument is not a definiton of a Brandon Pettigrew-type player. It just isn't. There's 4 maybe 5 "#1" tight ends. Everyone else is playing at a completely different level, with half of the numbers and talent. You're better off splitting them into "max TE" and "not max TE" categories, you'll get a clearer argument.

Or truck a guy, or throw a big block.... He's huge and plays like he's 5'9 and 170 lbs at times.

Because he's 6'7"!!

Yea none of the other 6'7 guys high point balls....

I understand that it would be nice to have a Gronk or Jimmy Graham, but there are only so many of them. Chandler is one of the best 32 tight ends in the league. He'd also benefit from having Brady or Brees throwing to him.

One if the best 32. Lol. Wake up

Julius, rudolph and Cameron missed multiple games. He's a marginal TE. Do you want more than marginal or to stick with marginal? He's ok. Nothing more nothing less. He's not our worst player and certainly not our best. It would be wise to upgrade if the right talent is available for the right price.

One if the best 32. Lol. Wake up

Julius, rudolph and Cameron missed multiple games. He's a marginal TE. Do you want more than marginal or to stick with marginal? He's ok. Nothing more nothing less. He's not our worst player and certainly not our best. It would be wise to upgrade if the right talent is available for the right price.

What's the best ability again? Availability.

I don't think Gresham - cap space is > than Chandler + cap space. Unless we're getting Gronk or Graham, there is no right price.

What's the best ability again? Availability.

I don't think Gresham - cap space is > than Chandler + cap space. Unless we're getting Gronk or Graham, there is no right price.

Are people talking about cutting Chandler and bringing in another TE?

No lets add a TE to the mix.

BUT

I want Grey to get his shot to hang with this team.......just something about this kid......I think he has it

Are people talking about cutting Chandler and bringing in another TE?

No lets add a TE to the mix.

BUT

I want Grey to get his shot to hang with this team.......just something about this kid......I think he has it

Adding a Gresham type is not worth it. They'll be available because they are JAG.

Yeah, he was fun to watch burst onto the scene. I was happy to ask "who the heck is that guy?" Of course, he made me think Sammy was everywhere at first, but I got used to it. More kudos to Whaley. Hoping for great things... or at least better than what we're used to.

Just thinking of how Rex likes to run his defense, I'd be watching for a big body like Terrence Knighton, Dan Williams, or--if he's released as some are speculating--Haloti Ngata.

did Ngata ever play for Rex in Baltimore? Trying to get my timelines straight. If he's available that would be a nice addition.