All time dumbest playcall in a Super Bowl with game on line

patfitz

I also run to grind clock if I don't make it.

But I can see the thought of passing, because it guarantees 3 shots.

If you run once they are going to lay on you and you're going to need to take a timeout or run around like nuts to get a play off.

This way you pass and either score or the clock stops, and you have 1 timeout to use after 3rd down if needed.

I just dont get... if they need to pass there, why not run a Play Action misdirection, try to get someone alone, if it doesnt work and the guy is covered, Wilson throws the ball into the 12th row?

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to reports, the Hawks ran Lynch from the 1 yard line 7 times this season for 1 touchdown & a net -1 yard gains overall, so that might have entered their thinking. Still, I would have run Lynch 3 times. And if he didn't score, you at least went with your heart and soul of the offense.

I just dont get... if they need to pass there, why not run a Play Action misdirection, try to get someone alone, if it doesnt work and the guy is covered, Wilson throws the ball into the 12th row?

That's what I would do.

Playaction or roll out (even better since Wilson is a dual threat).

I guess it doesn't "guarantee" three shots... lol

What I meant was more time mgt wise.

According to reports, the Hawks ran Lynch from the 1 yard line 7 times this season for 1 touchdown & a net -1 yard gains overall, so that might have entered their thinking. Still, I would have run Lynch 3 times. And if he didn't score, you at least went with your heart and soul of the offense.

I think it's easier if you lose going to your strength.

You just got beat in that instance. Instead, they played their 9 instead of their ace.

Probably?

I basically took 11 guys to keep Marshawn out from the 5 one play earlier. 3 cracks from the one = "probably"?

The only chance they had was if Marshawn fumbled or there was a bad exchange or something.

they did stop marshawn on a 3rd and 1 not long before. seattle might have some of that in their heads on the play call too. wouldnt be right, but its possible it was there. Edited by NoSaint

interesting. i figured it wasnt as automatic as most would assume but didnt think it would be 1 of 7. flip side is pats havent been very good in that spot.

25 seconds is a lot of time from the one yard line. You can run and call TO. That's 20 seconds left. You can run any play and still have plenty of time to line up and do whatever you want without overly rushing IF you cannot gain less than a yard on two running plays with the best short yardage RB and the best running QB in the league.

as the pats lay on top of you and the refs clear the pile to spot the ball and.... i think running and getting another play with 20 seconds and no time out is a closer call than you are letting on. i could be wrong, but i think its iffy at best. Edited by NoSaint

Interesting - good info.

interesting. i figured it wasnt as automatic as most would assume but didnt think it would be 1 of 7

as the pats lay on top of you and the refs clear the pile to spot the ball and.... i think running and getting another play with 20 seconds and no time out is a closer call than you are letting on.

The league scored 57% of the time running from the one, and NE Def was 81% against for worst in the league.

Interesting - good info.

The Seahawks ran Lynch 5 times from the 1. He scored once. This was inside the one.

The Patriots finished 28th in the league in run stuffing.

Lynch ran 24 times in the game and 22 times he gained a yard or more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/02/01/goal-line-play-calling-dooms-seahawks-hands-super-bowl-to-patriots/

Not going to lie. First thought that popped in my head was: Wow that's totally how i would have envisioned our 5th Superbowl lose.

That play literally reminded me of the last 15 years of being a BIlls fan. The only good thing was that it wasn't us....... but the Pats won...........

The Seahawks ran Lynch 5 times from the 1. He scored once. This was inside the one.

The Patriots finished 28th in the league in run stuffing.

Lynch ran 24 times in the game and 22 times he gained a yard or more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/02/01/goal-line-play-calling-dooms-seahawks-hands-super-bowl-to-patriots/

I can't say with certainty that they would have scored there by feeding Lynch, but the chances were high. A roll out by Wilson was a high percentage play too.

I try not to curse but I let the expletives fly after that play because I hate the Patriots so much. Why do they always get so lucky whether it is the refs just giving it to them or teams doing the most stupid things to give them wins? On second down and with a timeout there you try to punch it in first 10 out of 10 times and then pass the next play if it doesn't work! But that's the exact play Hackett and Marrone would have called there thinking they had to surprise the other team. Plus that receiver was awful on that play - the only thing you can't have is an INT so he should have been breaking up that pass. Didn't even make an attempt. Unbelievable.

Two things I hope come out of this...I think it is the last Super Bowl appearance for either team for 20 years. The Seahawks will implode after that one and their run of excellence is over. It's the kind of loss that does that. And the Pats are done as well. Their run of luck has to come to an end. I hope so anyway because I can't stand either team.

Edited by timtebow15

The pass call wasn't necessarily dumb. However, where the ball was thrown made no sense. The middle of the end zone was stacked for the run. So why throw it there if you're going to throw?

they got 2 WRs and 2 DBs outside. man up, with a planned pick and the linebacker going towards the opposite hash- it was about as unchallenged as you ever see that play. both DBs played it perfect and the qb and wr each left the play on the table for the defender.

its not like its a weird or rare play call in short yardage. we probably saw some variation on it 10 times last night between the two teams. the little underneath pick route is really common in this league. it just didnt work this time. its not like he threw it at 4 defenders.

Edited by NoSaint

sure it was a horrendous play call. but it had to be combined with equally horrendous execution for the outcome that we saw.

wilson had tunnel vision, hurried the throw and took no time to contemplate other options, which is what he does well.

IMHO he deserves most of the fallout for that INT.

would brady have done the same thing? would rogers?