Polian's Failure

jahbonas

The OP forgets that we had to face Marino twice a year and Elway and Moon in the playoffs. The long ball came plenty. We lost to the Giants because Hostetler sold his soul for that 3rd and 13 and Kelly had a bad day until the final quarter. We beat ourselves by knocking Simms out of the reg season game....

The Skins and Cowboys were just better teams. No one was going beat them from the AFC.

Agree completely except I think we could've beat the Cowboys the second time

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First pure Tank in Buffalo History

It was a great move. We HAD to get Walt Patulski!

Bonas not very well represented on this board

Hey, I'm a Bona grad - you talkin' to me?

agreed it is rumored that pre SB25 the Bills players were out very late prior to the game.

Wait a day or two, and they could have had the greatest party of their lives. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

My biggest problem during those years is that Steve Tasker wasn't used as a slot WR more. I think we would have been the Welker of his time.

the way the rules were at the time, I think he just would have got knocked around even more than he did.

And this would go with Marv as well.

We hear our new staff talk about offense & defense & special teams have to be on the same page philisophically in order to win.

Our Superbowl years had a top high octane scoring offense.

Opposing teams like the Giants could only negate that by long controlled drives.

Why in the world did we allow our defensive coordinator to play a bend but dont break defense given the offense we had?

We were defending a against a long ball that was never going to be thrown.

We were giving up short yardage/move the chain plays which is all the offenses ever wanted.

It was incredible poor strategy and cost us at least the Giants Superbowl.

To add insult to injury our defensive personnell of Bruce and Bennet and Leonard Smith were built for an attacking style.

I loved Polian as much as anyone but allowing your team to operate so out of synch between offense and defense was a killer to us.

In basketball terms - its like having a high powered UNLV runnin rebel type offense and then sitting back in a zone against a team that only wishes to milk the clock

Both Marv & Polian should have to answer to the disconnect

Would've, should've, could've . . . sadly, it's about time to let this go. It also had nothing to do with Norwood's missed field goal, or any other plays during the course of the game. We made it to four superbowls in a row - we didn't get there that many times because Polian and Levy were failures. Please, let's stay in the present and focus on winning now? You can't change the past

Levy was outcoached in all of the SuperBowls.

But honestly it is hard to blame the coaches.

Everyone's favorite Talley played one of the worst SuperBowl games ever. He was awful.

And our HOF QB's ego could not be kept in check.

They should have run the ball 40 times for over 200 yards against that NY defense.

Edited by Dragonborn10

The OP's premise is really wrong. The Bills were built to take the lead and then force the opponent to go to the air to catch up. That played into the teeth of the Bills' defense. The O and D WERE aligned.

Yep, that was my thinking. Those years were before I was watching the NFL so I didn't feel in a position to be the first one to say it but surely the idea was we can score big and score quick, we are going to make you take a long time to get your points and you simply won't be able to keep up.

And this would go with Marv as well.

We hear our new staff talk about offense & defense & special teams have to be on the same page philisophically in order to win.

Our Superbowl years had a top high octane scoring offense.

Opposing teams like the Giants could only negate that by long controlled drives.

Why in the world did we allow our defensive coordinator to play a bend but dont break defense given the offense we had?

We were defending a against a long ball that was never going to be thrown.

We were giving up short yardage/move the chain plays which is all the offenses ever wanted.

It was incredible poor strategy and cost us at least the Giants Superbowl.

To add insult to injury our defensive personnell of Bruce and Bennet and Leonard Smith were built for an attacking style.

I loved Polian as much as anyone but allowing your team to operate so out of synch between offense and defense was a killer to us.

In basketball terms - its like having a high powered UNLV runnin rebel type offense and then sitting back in a zone against a team that only wishes to milk the clock

Both Marv & Polian should have to answer to the disconnect

It took you 496 posts to show your true intelligence. While we are at it lets suggest how bad the Steelers O was with Bradshaw and 4 Superbowls. Obviously Franko Harris was too slow to be an NFL Running back and imagine what they could have done with Tony Dorsett.

Levy was outcoached in all of the SuperBowls.

But honestly it is hard to blame the coaches.

Everyone's favorite Talley played one of the worst SuperBowl games ever. He was awful.

And our HOF QB's ego could not be kept in check.

They should have run the ball 40 times for over 200 yards against that NY defense.

don't be so hard on talley....he was hung over from partying all week.

It took you 496 posts to show your true intelligence. While we are at it lets suggest how bad the Steelers O was with Bradshaw and 4 Superbowls. Obviously Franko Harris was too slow to be an NFL Running back and imagine what they could have done with Tony Dorsett.

Last I checked Franco Harris won Superbowls - and thanks for keeping track of my posts - do more posts make you more qualified poster?

Pretty sure Polian is sitting on an island somewhere with a drink and the last thing on his mind is the frozen tundra of Buffalo ... and fans that aren't grateful that he gave you the greatest era in your teams history.

How about, "thank you Bill and Marv for the only 5-6 year stretch of our teams existence where we were relevant"

'88-'99 ain't 5-6 years...but you're a Jets fan, so we understand.

don't be so hard on talley....he was hung over from partying all week.

talley was religiously imbibing beer before liquor throughout that time, leading to multiple super bowl performances in which he had never been sicker.

human physiology needs to speak to the disconnect.