Who has an AR-15 rifle?

dpberr

I am considering purchasing my first AR-15 rifle. I've long collected handguns and shotguns but don't have an AR-15 platform in my collection. I was wondering who has one and your thoughts on what ones are good, bad, and just general opinions.

I've shot 3Gun before borrowing AR-15s. However, those rifles are tricked out with optics, gear and replacement triggers, receivers and pistons to the point it's a custom made platform.

For me, in the present, just looking for a basic rifle.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm going to stop short of giving a recommendation, I will say that I've generally been satisfied with the entry level Smith and Wesson I bought a couple of years ago. Granted, a typical range trip for me is usually only 20-40 rounds, but I haven't had a bit of issue with mine and haven't missed the forward assist or dust cover which they deleted on the 'sport' model. For my usage, I don't have a need for anything 'better', and have been strongly considering a second as a spare.

That being said, while I have no experience with them, the most common recommendation I've seen online is that, when in doubt, its hard to go wrong with the Colt 6920 that Walmart sells. I'd probably start my research there.

I have a Bushmaster that is probably 10-15 years old. I have never had any problems with it at all and fit and finish is good. I do not put it through much punishment, just the trip to the range every so often. The AR-15 platform is simply one of the most reliable and flexible ones available. .223 ammo is relatively cheap and available. I upgraded the stock and fore end grip. I also added an EOtech holographic sight that I cannot say enough good things about. EOtechs aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny! If you are looking for a fun, reliable rifle you will be very happy with the AR-15.

Check out ar15.com if you want to get more recommendations and info. It is the most informative forum that I have found for gun related topics.

Not sure how factual information can be fair or unfair.

I think it's insightful whether DP is a mass murderer or not. They're powerful facts.

This is a particularly useful fact from the article..."Critics describe them as high-power weapons — in addition to firing multiple rounds quickly, their muzzle velocity is almost double that of a typical traditional shotgun". No ****! High end air rifles approach the same muzzle velocity as a shotgun too. Does that mean they are just as deadly as a shotgun? If you use the critics logic they are. See how your "facts" can be used to persuade the uninformed?

Edited by chknwing334

This is a particularly useful fact from the article..."Critics describe them as high-power weapons — in addition to firing multiple rounds quickly, their muzzle velocity is almost double that of a typical traditional shotgun". No ****! High end air rifles approach the same muzzle velocity as a shotgun too. Does that mean they are just as deadly as a shotgun? If you use the critics logic they are. See how your "facts" can be used to persuade the uninformed?

Funny how they don't mention that the same slow moving shotgun slug carries about twice as much energy at the muzzle as a .223 round...

Funny how they don't mention that the same slow moving shotgun slug carries about twice as much energy at the muzzle as a .223 round...

2012 Aurora shooting

12:38 a.m. – 12:45 a.m.

58 non-fatal gunshot wounds

12 deaths

Not gonna happen without a semi-automatic weapon. Ever. Those are the facts that should matter most.

2012 Aurora shooting

12 deaths

Not gonna happen without a semi-automatic weapon. Ever. Those are the facts that should matter most.

Also not going to happen with the vast majority of commercially available semi-automatics.

2012 Aurora shooting

12 deaths

That could be, but that's also far beyond encompassing just AR-15s and such. You're also talking about tens of millions of hunting rifles and shotguns, and of course, handguns.

Edited by Brandon

2012 Aurora shooting

12 deaths

You do realize that a shotgun can be semi automatic and they sell magazines that hold 30 rounds right? The same shotgun that your article illustrates as half as powerful as an AR-15 because of muzzle velocity? I would take my chances against an AR-15 vs a Saiga shotgun at anything less than 50 yards.

The Aurora shooting also happened in a "gun free zone".

**Sorry to get off topic. The ignorant anti-AR15 "facts" always get me.

Edited by chknwing334

2012 Aurora shooting

12:38 a.m. 12:45 a.m.

12 deaths

What does that have to do with the original question?

You do realize that a shotgun can be semi automatic and they sell magazines that hold 30 rounds right?

There are 100 rounders for the Saiga.

2012 Aurora shooting

12 deaths

Really? How many people died in Oklahoma City? Not even a single shot was fired.

Criminals who want to kill people will choose soft targets and find a method to kill them. It's easy to do in a free society. If you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that the 100s of millions of legally owned firearms in this country are a problem, be thankful that our Founding Fathers were WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY smarter than you are.

There are 100 rounders for the Saiga.

Really? How many people died in Oklahoma City? Not even a single shot was fired.

Criminals who want to kill people will choose soft targets and find a method to kill them. It's easy to do in a free society. If you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that the 100s of millions of legally owned firearms in this country are a problem, be thankful that our Founding Fathers were WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY smarter than you are.

lol @ "founding fathers" ... it was an amendment. And even if it not so, what would they have said if theyd known weapons capable of such massive destruction would become available to the public?

Edited by JTSP

I think it was Jim in Anchorage whi posted a blog link about a farmer in East Texas who is at war with feral pigs. It was fascinating reading. He had an extremely nice set-up.

That was here. Seems wild hogs are a real problem in the south.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=449721

I am considering purchasing my first AR-15 rifle. I've long collected handguns and shotguns but don't have an AR-15 platform in my collection. I was wondering who has one and your thoughts on what ones are good, bad, and just general opinions.

I've shot 3Gun before borrowing AR-15s. However, those rifles are tricked out with optics, gear and replacement triggers, receivers and pistons to the point it's a custom made platform.

For me, in the present, just looking for a basic rifle.

Look here. No hysterics about mass shootings, just gun stuff.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=771399

Edited by Jim in Anchorage