What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

Why not? There are 6 DEs in the league that make $12-$16.5 million a year and a lot of those contracts are a few years old. Isn't Hughes considered one of the top DEs in the league?

hes probably a 10-12/yr guy but it's the guaranteed money that will make him sign somewhere, not the annual over the length of the deal.

No, he's not JJ watt/Mario Williams.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hes probably a 10-12/yr guy but it's the guaranteed money that will make him sign somewhere, not the annual over the length of the deal.

No, he's not JJ watt/Mario Williams.

$12 million a year is close enough to $15 million a year that I'm not interested. That would mean we're paying our two starting defensive ends over $28 million a year.

Why not? There are 6 DEs in the league that make $12-$16.5 million a year and a lot of those contracts are a few years old. Isn't Hughes considered one of the top DEs in the league?

Well, he didn't make the pro bowl. Not that it means much, but obviously people find a few ends in the league to be better than him

10-13 million a year is the sweet spot IMO. Anything more, then even I might pass. Him and Dareus are the young guns so they should be getting very large contracts. Down the road they may have to consider letting Mario Williams go for cap reasons in a year or two since he's hitting 30 soon. Hughes is four years younger.

Edited by 1billsfan

The only thing that makes me ok with him leaving is that if he did say we'd probably have to pay him $10 million or more a year. I'm ok with a slight drop in talent at his position if it means we use that money on a position of need. $10 million a year is a lot of money. We could sign one of the best guards in the league or a TE like Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas for that kind of money.

Sorry, but id rather have a premier pass rusher than a TE or guard

At least Chandler is serviceable and we can find decent guards in free agency. Tough to do that for ends

I think we end up targeting TE in the draft, maybe more than once, and guards in free agency and then work to retain our players like Hughes

he was will cost too much money to keep if we would also like to extend Dareus next year.

it doesn't make sense to tie up half of your money in your Dline, unless the money is just going to be sitting around and not being used to pick up free agents on offensive line and possibly quarterback.

I just don't see us spending huge dollars on a situational pass rusher when our offensive line is among the worst in the league.

The Shep trade was great and paid off for us in a big way but it's over now. Rex doesnt need Hughes to be great on D, but Roman needs a line to run his offense effectively.

Sorry, but id rather have a premier pass rusher than a TE or guard

At least Chandler is serviceable and we can find decent guards in free agency. Tough to do that for ends

I think we end up targeting TE in the draft, maybe more than once, and guards in free agency and then work to retain our players like Hughes

We have a premiere pass rusher. Mario Williams.

We have a premiere pass rusher. Mario Williams.

And with Jerry Hughes we have two.

But going back to your point.. You'd rather invest in a TE with a history of concussions who isn't a proven fit in the system we are going to run? How do you even know Julius Thomas will be available? Who would you choose after that?

With Jerry Hughes you know what production you are going to get and the guy is only going to blossom. In my opinion, signing him keeps this defense elite.

Don't even get me started on how asinine large contracts for guards are

And with Jerry Hughes we have two.

But going back to your point.. You'd rather invest in a TE with a history of concussions who isn't a proven fit in the system we are going to run? How do you even know Julius Thomas will be available? Who would you choose after that?

With Jerry Hughes you know what production you are going to get and the guy is only going to blossom. In my opinion, signing him keeps this defense elite.

Don't even get me started on how asinine large contracts for guards are

You're talking about a guy that will probably only play 50% of defensive snaps like he did in Pettine's system. You really want to pay someone like that $13 million a year when we're already paying our other DE over $16 million a year?

I'd happily take Jordon Cameron if Thomas doesn't hit FA(even though he almost definitely will).

1) And with Jerry Hughes we have two.

2) But going back to your point.. You'd rather invest in a TE with a history of concussions who isn't a proven fit in the system we are going to run? How do you even know Julius Thomas will be available? Who would you choose after that?

1a) With Jerry Hughes you know what production you are going to get and the guy is only going to blossom. In my opinion, signing him keeps this defense elite.

3) Don't even get me started on how asinine large contracts for guards are

1) With the surrounding talent drawing double teams there are several free agent pass rushers that would more than likely achieve at least 9 sacks and not cost $10 Million a year.

1a) Does losing ~1.5 sacks on the year make our defense not elite? How much production loss does?

2) Julius Thomas is a UFA. Others who I'd be content with are Jordan Cameron, Charles Clay, Owen Daniels, Jermaine Gresham, Zach Miller

3) There are quality upgrades at guard in FA that would be worth the investment. Mike Iupati, Orlando Frankiln, Dan Connolly, Clint Boling, and Willie Colon come to mind

You're talking about a guy that will probably only play 50% of defensive snaps like he did in Pettine's system. You really want to pay someone like that $13 million a year when we're already paying our other DE over $16 million a year?

I'd happily take Jordon Cameron if Thomas doesn't hit FA(even though he almost definitely will).

He was not a known commodity when he started 2013. 1st 8 games in 2013 averaged 28 snaps, final 8 games 48 snaps. His 2014 snap count per game was 49.

So dont throw out the 52% like it means anything. He was actually used very similar in both D's, from snap counts and scheme. Hughes role was nearly identical from Pettine to Schwartz.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

pettine's system has some similarities but is not the same as Rex/Thurman's. Most every front now is a hybrid that will combine concepts from 4-3 and 3-4. If Hughes is here,Rex is extremely creative and will put him in a role to maximize his strengths. He is an "edge" defender and because he is a very good one, he will be on the field.