Richard Sherman blasts Goodell/Kraft relationship

YoloinOhio

Yeah you're probably right. That's why Josh Gordon will probably still get a huge contract. And why Mike Williams, who had like 11 touchdowns in 2013 isn't currently sitting at home without a job. Which team is Pro Bowler Incognito playing for again?

To be fair, Sherman is the best corner in the game. Gordon, Williams, Incognito weren't on the same level as Sherman. The media distraction and negative press outweighs their on field contribution. Same reason AP will have a job next season and Ray Rice won't.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understood. I'm not saying any of them are as good at their positions as Lynch and Sherman, just that there has to be a limit on what those two can say. I mean there has to be a line in the sand the NFL would have with these two. If they started going into long rants accusing the league of conspiracy, cheating, etc. in every press conference they'd have to get rid of them.

@NewYork__News: #NewYork #Sports Robert Kraft behind Roger Goodell's $300M salary: report: Roger Goodell has at l... http://t.co/bKRvQJFuQc#News #Sport

That link won't open for me (probably my computer, not your link), but I think its probably this NY Daily News article? I know the Daily News is known more for its shocking headlines rather than credible reporting, but I don't see where they sourced the $300 M figure. They mention "$300 million over seven years" but don't back it up any way.

I've seen other sources quote him at $123 M over 7 years. I believe the NFL has tried to argue his $44 M was really deferred compensation from prior years, including during the lockout when Goodell got on his high-horse and said he "wasn't taking a penny until this is resolved." I wonder if those ticket, equipment and back office folks got "deferred compensation" too. Something tells me no.

Unless the $300 M compensation package is credible going forward, I'm not sure those in the media bitching about the $44 M salary are being completely accurate. It sounds like it was more of a one-time bonus, kind of like the roster bonus triggers players may have in their contracts. Either way, its way too much money for this dumpster fire who goes around and tells his subordinates they are overpaid.

Goodell did punish the Patriots in 2007, a first round pick and $$$.

In my opinion, this is not a serious breaking of the rules. But they will likely get punished anyway.

The NFL should take the punishment duties out of the commissioners office and have a specific person in charge , similar to the NHL.

IF the NFL is so serious about the uniformity of the game balls, why is each team allowed to control the balls all week up until just before the game when the refs check the pressure. And why are they put back in control of the team. Also, why does each offense choose their own game balls and why doesn't the league control it for both teams.

I don't believe the NFL feels this has a huge effect on the game, but they have a poorly written/enforced rule that will likely change for next season.

This is an overblown issue and doesn't greatly alter the outcome of the game.

Understood. I'm not saying any of them are as good at their positions as Lynch and Sherman, just that there has to be a limit on what those two can say. I mean there has to be a line in the sand the NFL would have with these two. If they started going into long rants accusing the league of conspiracy, cheating, etc. in every press conference they'd have to get rid of them.

That might be true, but they aren't anywhere close to that, right? Both are (so far) sticking to specific incidents that torque them off - Lynch on his friend being fined for a celebration (he and Lynch) say he didn't make, and Sherman on the public, close friendship and acceptance of valueable gifts (box seats etc) creating an appearance of favoritism/impropriety between Goodell and Kraft.

The league looks really bad if it torques them for that.

That might be true, but they aren't anywhere close to that, right? Both are (so far) sticking to specific incidents that torque them off - Lynch on his friend being fined for a celebration (he and Lynch) say he didn't make, and Sherman on the public, close friendship and acceptance of valueable gifts (box seats etc) creating an appearance of favoritism/impropriety between Goodell and Kraft.

The league looks really bad if it torques them for that.

Hard to say. I definitely don't think the league will do anything to either of them(other than fines maybe) for what they've said/done so far, but I think Lynch is more in danger of being blackballed by teams because he's just acting like a brat. The golden cleats, the crotch grab, refusing to say anything to the media except "Thanks for asking" to every question. There's gotta be a point where teams just don't want to deal with that kind of crap. It's a distraction to the the rest of the team and bad press.

Seattle is already expected to dump Lynch at the end of the season and he basically took them to the Superbowl this year. That's got to say a lot about what they think of his antics.

Goodell is finished. He has betrayed the trust of his #1 supporter. Goodell set a failed sting operation to trap and embarrass one club when he should have known multiple clubs were in violation, with the correct response being he should have sent a letter to all 32 owners saying stop this now, we are watching.

Robert Kraft, the NFL insider of all NFL insiders, is so aghast at how the NFL has let this play out, how a series of one-sided media leaks the team believes is coming from the league office has painted the Pats as cheaters. And whatever relationship he has with commissioner Roger Goodell is now clearly strained.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflate-gate-finally-pushed-good-guy-patriots-owner-robert-kraft-to-blast-the-nfl-054801494-nfl.html

one way or the other, there will be a new commissioner in 2016.

I'm not sure the NFL is too worried about limiting what Marshawn Lynch says. B-)

But anyway...

The whole point I was trying to make is that it doesn't matter how good you are, if you make yourself enough of a problem for WHATEVER reason you can get blackballed. What Lynch and Sherman are doing are arguably worse for the league's image than anything else people have been blackballed for before. They're coming right out and criticizing the league and how they run their business repeatedly. It's not impossible for it to get to a point that the league simply tells teams they better not sign them or else.

Just for clarification, Sherman and Lynch don't work for the NFL. They work for Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks. If Sherman and Lynch were bad mouthing the Seahawks I could see them being fired. Unless there are specific rules regarding expressing opinions about the league they can't force Allen to do anything. Paul Allen could tell the league and the other owners to go to hell. If you don't think that happens Google Al Davis. We live in a very litigious society, if the league started pressuring owners to blackball players for speaking negatively, at some point they would get sued. That kind of law suit could jeopardize the NFL's anti-trust exemption. They would never take that chance.

I'm not saying he is wrong, but I can't believe that he said it WHEN he said it. Really? Why would you cause your team, and yourself, this kind of distraction before the Super Bowl? Sherman has poor judgment and self-control

I would bet that he has more respect from his teammates than any player in that lockerroom. He's comfortable with the attention, which takes it off others and allows the team to concentrate on football. I'm a huge fan at this point. He calls em like he sees em, and has the balls and intelligence to challenge the gross establiment.

Just for clarification, Sherman and Lynch don't work for the NFL. They work for Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks. If Sherman and Lynch were bad mouthing the Seahawks I could see them being fired. Unless there are specific rules regarding expressing opinions about the league they can't force Allen to do anything. Paul Allen could tell the league and the other owners to go to hell. If you don't think that happens Google Al Davis. We live in a very litigious society, if the league started pressuring owners to blackball players for speaking negatively, at some point they would get sued. That kind of law suit could jeopardize the NFL's anti-trust exemption. They would never take that chance.

Yes, there are rules regarding expressing opinions of the league. Colin Kaepernick drew an in-game penalty and a fine from the league for criticizing Goodell in earshot of refs between plays while talking to Bears defensive end LaMarr Houston(http://theupfl.com/2014/09/kaepernick-fined-criticizing-goodell/). And we all know how often coaches get fined for criticizing refs.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

Ummm you mean

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/bears-de-lamarr-houston-says-colin-kaepernick-called-him-the-n-word-182329156.html

Your link is from the Un-professional sports league. "We do wrong news right" is their slogan fwiw

Yes, there are rules regarding expressing opinions of the league. Colin Kaepernick drew an in-game penalty and a fine from the league for criticizing Goodell in earshot of refs between plays while talking to Bears defensive end LaMarr Houston(http://theupfl.com/2014/09/kaepernick-fined-criticizing-goodell/). And we all know how often coaches get fined for criticizing refs.

Edited by Ryan L Billz