Richard Sherman blasts Goodell/Kraft relationship

YoloinOhio

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand all the hate for this Seattle team. Everyone complains about how boring and unnecessary most athlete press conferences are accross all of sports, then these guys come out unafraid to actually say what we are all thinking and they get ripped as well. What do you want? Boring and pointless or entertaining and outspoken? Neither?

To me this Seattle team is incredibly fun to watch and follow. They aren't afraid at all about what someone might put up on a billboard, they are going to go out and smack you in the mouth on both sides of the ball. Everyone wants Sherman out of the league because Fox stuck a mic in front of him at the wrong time or because he says the same stuff you say to your buddy at the bar. It's ridiculous, it's supposed to be entertaining and the Seattle guys are not afraid of having to eat their words. It's a refreshing throwback to the pre-24/7 news cycle and pre twitter era.

Uh, Kerry Rhodes and Incognito didn't suck and weren't too old to play.

I think Incognito sucked.

Rhodes was a whole different scenario, and yes, he totally got black-balled IMO. Then again, after Michael Sam, if the Rhodes incident occurred today, he'd have a roster spot if he wanted one (again IMO).

Regardless, nobody is going to eschew a chance to sign Lynch or Sherman if they're given it...these guys are top players in the league.

I think Incognito sucked.

Rhodes was a whole different scenario, and yes, he totally got black-balled IMO. Then again, after Michael Sam, if the Rhodes incident occurred today, he'd have a roster spot if he wanted one (again IMO).

Regardless, nobody is going to eschew a chance to sign Lynch or Sherman if they're given it...these guys are top players in the league.

And that really is the bottom line.

The whole point I was trying to make is that it doesn't matter how good you are, if you make yourself enough of a problem for WHATEVER reason you can get blackballed. What Lynch and Sherman are doing are arguably worse for the league's image than anything else people have been blackballed for before. They're coming right out and criticizing the league and how they run their business repeatedly. It's not impossible for it to get to a point that the league simply tells teams they better not sign them or else.

I really don't understand all the hate for this Seattle team. Everyone complains about how boring and unnecessary most athlete press conferences are accross all of sports, then these guys come out unafraid to actually say what we are all thinking and they get ripped as well. What do you want? Boring and pointless or entertaining and outspoken? Neither?

To me this Seattle team is incredibly fun to watch and follow. They aren't afraid at all about what someone might put up on a billboard, they are going to go out and smack you in the mouth on both sides of the ball. Everyone wants Sherman out of the league because Fox stuck a mic in front of him at the wrong time or because he says the same stuff you say to your buddy at the bar. It's ridiculous, it's supposed to be entertaining and the Seattle guys are not afraid of having to eat their words. It's a refreshing throwback to the pre-24/7 news cycle and pre twitter era.

I actually love the brand of football Seattle plays. I dislike Pete Carroll for some of his antics in the past (the "choke" sign, ditching USC after a scandal that he created, etc.), and while I don't mind guys that speak their mind, it does irk me when a guy like Sherman seems to have a need to act like a jerk in front of a camera. I think there's a fine line between backing up your talk, and just blasting people verbally every chance you get. Just seems to me that Sherman is, more often than not, on the latter side. Perhaps I'm wrong and I'm exacerbating the negative moments. If it weren't for those two things, I'd be in 100% agreement.

Rhodes was 31 when he was an FA. He wasn't going to get a big contract.

Incognito has mental health problems.

Rhodes didn't need the money, he wasn't going to play unless someone paid him premier safety money. He had plenty of offers to continue his career, he just wasn't going to do it below what he valued his services at and was comfortable being able to walk away.

Anyone who can't see the difference between Incognito and Sherman isn't worth the effort. Richie has always been the same guy who got himself kicked out of Nebraska and booted out of Oregon within a matter of days. Even then he's been given countless opportunities. Blount punched a kid in the face at Oregon and quit on the Steelers just a few months ago, he barely cleared waivers before he was back as the main back in New England. If you can play, as long as you are not in prison you'll be given opportunities until you prove you can't play anymore.

I don't care what anyone says, no company in the World is going to let an employee say anything they want to make the company look bad and employ them no matter what they say. If Sherman and Lynch keep escalating their criticism of the league like they have been they risk running into serious problems. Sherman just basically accused the NFL commissioner of cheating and a cover-up. This is after he criticized their press conference policies and called them hypocritical for having alcohol ad sponsors. Who knows what he'll say next? When you start messing with a multi-billion company's money and criticizing their sponsors you're probably going to have a bad time.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

I don't care what anyone says, no company in the World is going to let an employee say anything they want to make the company look bad and employ them no matter what they say. If Sherman and Lynch keep escalating their criticism of the league like they have been they risk running into serious problems. Sherman just basically accused the NFL commissioner of cheating and a cover-up. This is after he criticized their press conference policies and called them hypocritical for having alcohol ad sponsors. Who knows what he'll say next? When you start messing with a multi-billion company's money and criticizing their sponsors you're probably going to have a bad time.

Yeah, but Richard Sherman doesn't need the league as much as the league needs him. Even if he wasn't playing football, I'm sure he would be doing fine in some other career. He's an intelligent, driven dude. I'm sure he has calculated his every move in front of the cameras.

I actually love the brand of football Seattle plays. I dislike Pete Carroll for some of his antics in the past (the "choke" sign, ditching USC after a scandal that he created, etc.), and while I don't mind guys that speak their mind, it does irk me when a guy like Sherman seems to have a need to act like a jerk in front of a camera. I think there's a fine line between backing up your talk, and just blasting people verbally every chance you get. Just seems to me that Sherman is, more often than not, on the latter side. Perhaps I'm wrong and I'm exacerbating the negative moments. If it weren't for those two things, I'd be in 100% agreement.

It wasn't Carroll's fault, but he was the chief of the party that benefited from "just give it to 'em." As for that squad, in my view it was one of those "they're all guilty, led God sort 'em out" situations. Kraft was the owner of that team too.

Edited by dave mcbride

Agreed, in terms of a fine. While bendbreaking the rules is rewarded. This aint your fathers NFL.

Yeah, but Richard Sherman doesn't need the league as much as the league needs him. Even if he wasn't playing football, I'm sure he would be doing fine in some other career. He's an intelligent, driven dude. I'm sure he has calculated his every move in front of the cameras.

I'm sure he has. He's a smart dude. Lynch not so much.

But you have to wonder what his endgame is. Is he playing chicken with the league and betting that his talent level is high enough that they'll have to make some changes to their rules due to the bad press he's heaping on them? He can't know for an absolute fact that all this won't negatively affect his career. Calling out the commissioner like he did is a really big deal. He basically accused him of being a cheat and colluding with the Patriots. Up to this point I don't think they'll do anything for what he's said so far, but how long will he continue to do this? And what will he say next? There has to be a line in the sand somewhere that the league will not be ok with him crossing.

I'm sure he has. He's a smart dude. Lynch not so much.

But you have to wonder what his endgame is. Is he playing chicken with the league and betting that his talent level is high enough that they'll have to make some changes to their rules due to the bad press he's heaping on them? He can't know for an absolute fact that all this won't negatively affect his career. Calling out the commissioner like he did is a really big deal. He basically accused him of being a cheat and colluding with the Patriots. Up to this point I don't think they'll do anything for what he's said so far, but how long will he continue to do this? And what will he say next? There has to be a line in the sand somewhere that the league will not be ok with him crossing.

this was simply creating a distraction for the pats, and getting his own brand in the media at the same time. for him, win-win.

this was simply creating a distraction for the pats, and getting his own brand in the media at the same time. for him, win-win.

Yup. The Seahawks couldn't care less about deflategate; they're ready to play. Sherman is having fun at the Pats* and league's expense.