Dareus to not get extension....yet

BeastMode54

Just read this on the Bills website. That Dareus will have to play out the last year. I think thinbk this is a stupid idea because there is no competition with other teams in an extension. If we let him play out the deal I dont think we'll be able to compete with other bigger name teams. Any thoughts?

Link?

I think the plan is atleast one tag. We could do that 2-3 times and still be a value (don't recall which year it ballooned enough to outpace the pay raise average for corresponding years if signed today but I think it was the next 3 years we could hold him no problem with the option next year and 2 tags

Edited by NoSaint

Just read this on the Bills website. That Dareus will have to play out the last year. I think thinbk this is a stupid idea because there is no competition with other teams in an extension. If we let him play out the deal I dont think we'll be able to compete with other bigger name teams. Any thoughts?

the franchise tag for DT's is lower than marcel is worth.

It's actually the opinion of Chris Brown. So not that reliable. But here;s the link: http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/01/23/fan-friday-1-23-2/

He also seems to say it likely would be after looking at hughes and expiring contracts, not after the season. Essentially that he's backburner at the moment, not totally off the stove.

the franchise tag for DT's is lower than marcel is worth.

Coupled with this year being lower too, we could absorb a bit of a hit in year three and still be ahead on average

It says:

"As for Dareus and Glenn, the Bills typically address free agents first before worrying about players that are still under contract, so while Dareus and Glenn are seen as long term building blocks for the franchise I dont see them getting done in short order."

That doesn't necessarily mean CB thinks he will need to play out his last year. He could sign an extension mid-season like Gerald McCoy, or they could tag him as others said. It's just going to depend on how it all fits into the cap.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It says:

"As for Dareus and Glenn, the Bills typically address free agents first before worrying about players that are still under contract, so while Dareus and Glenn are seen as long term building blocks for the franchise I dont see them getting done in short order."

That doesn't necessarily mean CB thinks he will need to play out his last year. He could sign an extension mid-season like Gerald McCoy, or they could tag him as others said. It's just going to depend on how it all fits into the cap.

It could mean they take a swing at it in a month

Link?

I think the plan is atleast one tag. We could do that 2-3 times and still be a value (don't recall which year it ballooned enough to outpace the pay raise average for corresponding years if signed today but I think it was the next 3 years we could hold him no problem with the option next year and 2 tags

Given his arrest history I'd say that's a smart move. Buy a little time to make sure you don't end up with a mountain of cash tied up in a guy who gets himself suspended for a year.

go ahead and tag him, and see his production go south, pay the man or trade him, simple as that

I agree players hate playing under the tag, get him signed before free agency gets to close. I had posted before the season renegotiate while he was in a little bit of trouble they could have gotten the best deal then.

With Mario's contract hitting red marks, holes at QB & RB and the need to retain Hughes, it makes perfect sense to delay re-upping Dareus until next year. Cromartie & Revis are FAs too, and I;m guessing Bills may be interested in making a run at one of the two.

I agree players hate playing under the tag, get him signed before free agency gets to close. I had posted before the season renegotiate while he was in a little bit of trouble they could have gotten the best deal then.

Conversely, you might consider that a player's motivation could diminish after hitting free agency and receiving a "block buster" contract. Albert Haynesworth is one example of this, but I'm sure there are more. It depends on the player.