Some say yes to gas tax but Ryan says no....

TH3

Everyone - well almost everyone - agrees that our infrastructure is in need of investment.

Some middle oriented GOP members even say the gas tax needs to be raised.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/policy/insiders/transportation/gas-tax-hike-looking-more-palatable-to-republicans-20150112

Meanwhile Tea Party leader Paul Ryan - Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee says No way...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/paul-ryan-gas-tax

Tea Party out of their minds? We spend too much on infrastructure already? We can live without adding more money to our already bloated highways ports and airports? Gas tax hasn't been raised in decades, the highway fund is bankrupt and cars are using less gas than ever reducing revenues - something has to change?

Is Paul Ryan helping us out?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More taxes not necessary. Existing tax revenue has to be allocated more responsibly. Get this idea that gas tax revenue will go directly to fixing roads. Just part of the big slush fund. They take 40% of what we earn now. Something wrong with that.

Everyone - well almost everyone - agrees that our infrastructure is in need of investment.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/policy/insiders/transportation/gas-tax-hike-looking-more-palatable-to-republicans-20150112

Meanwhile Tea Party leader Paul Ryan - Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee says No way...

Tea Party out of their minds? We spend too much on infrastructure already? We can live without adding more money to our already bloated highways ports and airports? Gas tax hasn't been raised in decades, the highway fund is bankrupt and cars are using less gas than ever reducing revenues - something has to change?

What a wonderful piece of fiction.................from the (laughable) Paul Ryan is a Tea Party 'leader" to the amazing "if you are against a gas tax, you must be against infrastructure improvement."

By the by, neither of the links that you provided say these things..................this is simply your projection of what you misunderstand about the Taxed Enough Already Party.

Rep. Ryan favors a pro-growth solution, he has stated in many articles, and it is one of the reasons that he pulled out of the 2016 race, to concentrate fully on REAL tax reform.

EVERYONE has acknowledged the need for highway improvement, the differing opinions are on how to pay for it.........despite your attempt at spin.

Here is a basic article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/01/16/how-republicans-can-save-our-infrastructure-without-raising-gas-tax/

You may disagree with their view, but you don't get to so blatently misrepresent it.

Edited by B-Man

Middle oriented GOP members.

I remember all the middle-oriented Democratic members who helped give Obama a full sweep of both houses in 2008. Then they did something stupid, too. They voted for the ACA.

Where are they now? Exactly.

Let these GOP members vote to raise the gas tax simply because the price is down, and they'll be gone, too.

But hey...thanks for holding truth to the belief that progressives never met a tax they didn't want to levy.

What was wrong with this thread: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/173905-raise-the-gas-tax/page-1

And I'll repeat what I said then, now.

"...given that it's a consumption tax, I'm not philosophically opposed; however, before raising taxes one cent, I'd require a line item justification of all existing taxes, as well as a Constitutional Amendment guaranteeing that every nickel of those new dollars were to be invested in highway, bridge, and dam infrastructure."

Its not 18.4% Its 18.4 cents on the gallon. Cheaper gas, people buy more. Revenue go's up not down. So why do we need to raise the tax?

Because gas is so cheap now that people can afford to pay more in taxes.

At least, that's the reason given in the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland.

What was wrong with this thread: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/173905-raise-the-gas-tax/page-1

And I'll repeat what I said then, now.

"...given that it's a consumption tax, I'm not philosophically opposed; however, before raising taxes one cent, I'd require a line item justification of all existing taxes, as well as a Constitutional Amendment guaranteeing that every nickel of those new dollars were to be invested in highway, bridge, and dam infrastructure."

Agree 100 percent, again.

It's not a percentage and it isn't a flat fee per gallon that is tied to inflation by any formula. It's just 18.4 cents a gallon and has been '93. There's a highway trust fund that this goes toward, and that fund just keeps needing supplements from general revenue to stay afloat...and infrastructure spending as percentage of GDP is historically low. Most people agree that if you are going to do something...building infrastructure is as good as anything. $50 a gallon. It's not going to stay 18.4 cents a gallon forever, it's arbitrary at this point. Since you have to revisit at some point, why not now? It's a pretty regressive tax, conservatives should be able to stomach a small increase if it comes by way of some formula.

Edited by MoreOffense

It's not a percentage and it isn't a flat fee per gallon that is tied to inflation by any formula. It's just 18.4 cents a gallon and has been '93. There's a highway trust fund that this goes toward, and that fund just keeps needing supplements from general revenue to stay afloat...and infrastructure spending as percentage of GDP is historically low. Most people agree that if you are going to do something...building infrastructure is as good as anything. $50 a gallon. It's not going to stay 18.4 cents a gallon forever, it's arbitrary at this point. Since you have to revisit at some point, why not now? It's a pretty regressive tax, conservatives should be able to stomach a small increase if it comes by way of some formula.

There is not a "highway trust fund". That's political accounting. There is only a General Fund, and it's been that way since the Clinton Administration.

As I said, I'm not opposed philosophically since it's a consumption tax (stop it with "regressive tax", that's a red herring), but before I'd agree to it, I'd want a line item justification for all existing taxes, and a Constitutional Amendment ensuring this new tax could only be used for infrastructure.

There is not a "highway trust fund". That's political accounting. There is only a General Fund, and it's been that way since the Clinton Administration.

As I said, I'm not opposed philosophically since it's a consumption tax (stop it with "regressive tax", that's a red herring), but before I'd agree to it, I'd want a line item justification for all existing taxes, and a Constitutional Amendment ensuring this new tax could only be used for infrastructure.

Well neither of those things are happening. I think it would be reasonable to designate in the law that the funds are to be used on infrastructure and only infrastructure...and then find a reasonable thing to do with the tax rate. Pass an infrastructure bill (that has keystone in there for those who for some reason love keystone) and mess with the gas tax, go build/improve more stuff. Economy is rolling and gas is cheap, now is a fine time to do this.

Well neither of those things are happening. I think it would be reasonable to designate in the law that the funds are to be used on infrastructure and only infrastructure...and then find a reasonable thing to do with the tax rate. Pass an infrastructure bill (that has keystone in there for those who for some reason love keystone) and mess with the gas tax, go build/improve more stuff. Economy is rolling and gas is cheap, now is a fine time to do this.

Now is the time to do this when things are starting to get better? Then what happens when gas becomes expensive again and the economy is no longer rolling? They're going to roll back this tax? :w00t: