bills could play opening Thursday night in Foxborough?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think it will be Pittsburgh. Even though I agree there are some interesting angles to Buffalo, I just don't think Buffalo is a team the NFL is ready to highlight on opening night.

Also, does it absolutely have to be in New England? Why not Patriots** at Broncos?

i would love it for the simple reason that in week 1, crazy things happen.. Everyone hyped to start new yr and can shock Pats early AND most importantly, when u get a Thursday game mid season, u get hit with that short week of practice, but get the mini bye after it. This way, being week 1, the "short" week means nothing cuz all TC u are preparing for regular season and team we need to be most prepared for is Pats. Then after a tough bruising game, we STILL get that mini bye week heading into week 2.

Short week doesnt hurt in week 1

I still think it will be Pittsburgh. Even though I agree there are some interesting angles to Buffalo, I just don't think Buffalo is a team the NFL is ready to highlight on opening night.

Also, does it absolutely have to be in New England? Why not Patriots** at Broncos?

The league gives it as a reward for winning the SB. I don't think it "has to be" but it's what they have been doing for years (except the previously mentioned Ravens one).

Edited by Mark80

Keep this in mind, in 2005, after their last Super Bowl win, New England played home games against:

Indianapolis (Colts were really good plus Manning vs Brady, rivalry)

NY Jets (playoff team in 2004 who nearly went to the AFC championship game)

San Diego (won the AFC West)

All good teams from the year before who would have produced high ratings. Yet who did they play on opening night? The Oakland Raiders. Anything is possible.

The league gives it as a reward for winning the SB. I don't think it "has to be" but it's what they have been doing for years (except the previously mentioned Ravens one).

Championship banner raising time for the SB victor. Obviously this can only be done at home.

I'll ask again... isn't opening week usually with a team in the final 4?

No... I don't think so. I am not talking about Thursday Night...I am talking about the Monday Night double header they do in week one...seems as though I have seen a lot of middling teams on those games...for instance, in 2012 the Chargers and Raiders played...neither team made it to the playoffs in 2011.

Buffalo vs NY Jets would not only be a high profile game because of the Rex/Jets drama, but it would also include the Bills battling a major market team... I think some are under-estimating the visibility that Rex is going to have this coming summer...ESPN will hype the Bills/Jets games to death...and Rex will likely feed the pig, with some juicy quotes. It's what he does! He loves that stuff...ESPN loves that stuff...

Edited by Buftex