NYS Stadium study favors 4 sites (3 downtown)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that it is realistic but they will keep it on the table because it's there.

Agree. The authors of the report don't want to be the first ones to take Orchard Park off the board. Then the report becomes a lightning rod. At least the report gave a nod to the tailgating traditions at the Ralph.

That makes sense. I can't see the Pegulas using that site.

Depends on how much the have to spend out of their own pockets. I just reviewed all the land ownership for the three downtown sites and Paladino's firm owns a lot of the South Park and Exchange sites. The one issue that is problematic now is that this was a publicly funded analysis that just identified potential sites, which will drive up acquisition costs for the owners and state, assuming they may have to get involved and use eminent domain to take properties from holdout owners. Who really wants to deal with that maniac when he knows you want his property?

Somebody please fill me in on the natural lighting issues.

Don't know but I'd venture a guess that it has to do with shadows from adjacent buildings that may project onto the field. The harbor center is tall and west of the proposed site, meaning it would project late afternoon shadows in the fall east onto the stadium. That's all I can come up with. Also could be the same issue southwest with the General Mills buildings.

Don't know but I'd venture a guess that it has to do with shadows from adjacent buildings that may project onto the field. The harbor center is tall and west of the proposed site, meaning it would project late afternoon shadows in the fall east onto the stadium. That's all I can come up with. Also could be the same issue southwest with the General Mills buildings.

That seems to make sense. They factor that stuff in all of the time on baseball diamonds because of when games usually start and where the sun will be.

That seems to make sense. They factor that stuff in all of the time on baseball diamonds because of when games usually start and where the sun will be.

And as an anti-domer, I don't like this option for that reason but do like its geographic location. However, I would argue that the other two locations could have positive spillover affects on a their surrounding areas and therefore more of an overall impact than jamming it next to the arena and canalside where development is already happening. Thinking from that regard, one of the other two sites, in particular the Exchange site, may have a more overall positive impact.

I will add that it also has the least number of parcels and the ownership there would be easier for acquisition than the other two sites, both of which include Paladino owned parcels. The two parking lots between Mississippi and Columbia are owned by the City. The larger lot north of Perry is owned by ECIDA. And WNY Hockey owns three lots between Columbia and Michigan. From an acquisition standpoint (cost, time, legal) this would be the fastest and cheapest.

Edited by zonabb

Renovating the Ralph is my 1st choice. Open stadium exchange street is number 2.

If they are set on enclosed, Buffalo river is interesting

Renovation will be nearly $600 million. That's just insane. They would have thrown over $700 million into that location.

A new downtown location is the best for many reasons. The only question is do we want a dome. I really don't care either way, but a dome I believe would be best.

Renovation will be nearly $600 million. That's just insane. They would have thrown over $700 million into that location.

A new downtown location is the best for many reasons. The only question is do we want a dome. I really don't care either way, but a dome I believe would be best.

A covered stadium won't even be a debate... It's happening.

I like a retractable roof vs fixed roof but if I had to choose fixed or open air I would take the roof. Gives it so many more usage options and I think more people would go to bad weather games. Bad weather is not a HFA for anyone IMO. Edited by YoloinOhio